Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Yet Another SatNav question

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2006, 02:22 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another SatNav question

I have seen loads of people asking whether TomTom 500 series, Tom tom One, Garmin Nuvi or Navman is best, and have read all the replies with interest.

However, I really want a device with speed camera locations and traffic information to enable diverts around congestion. I cant see that any of these do this for free? Anyone know different?

I see the Nuvi comes with the speed camera software on it, and the Navman is available with a traffic radio adapter thingy with lifetime Trafficmaster subs, but the adapter doesnt seem to be available yet?

Anyone able to offer a view on whether any give both facilities? I know tom tom offer traffic for a charge, but it isnt really valuable enough for me to pay for?

Last edited by BigGT3Fan; 12 July 2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12 July 2006, 02:27 PM
teajunkie
Scooby Regular

I have a tomtom one, i got the speedcamera location etc from pocketgps world and it works great!

I've had a roadangel navigator and that was pants.

Tomtom does do the re-route without paying for it, manualy choose an alt route in the menu's avoiding road block etc.

I just listen to the traffic reports on the radio or dial 1740 from my mobile!
Old 12 July 2006, 02:48 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

I've just returned my old Golf which had in built sat nav, and that's exactly what I used to do (listen to the reports and drive round it) but as the Nuvi will allegedly do it automatically, I'm interested in the facility

I've seen that the Tom Tom has the free speed camera thing, shame you can't get both together

Unless someone knows different?
Old 12 July 2006, 04:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Go read up on the Navman iCN750.
Old 12 July 2006, 08:12 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Costco are selling a Navman unit for £350-ish with free traffic info-auto rerouting software but not sure where the traffic info comes from?

if they only have the motorway network covered it is no use to me working inside the M25
Old 12 July 2006, 10:17 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I have Navman 550 with the traffic module. Gets info from Classic FM RDS channel I believe.

Waste of time as far as I'm concerned though...

If I was going to buy again, I recon I'd get a Tom Tom for the full postcode search feature...
Old 12 July 2006, 10:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garmin C310 has full postcode for 200 quid.
Old 13 July 2006, 09:14 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Go read up on the Navman iCN750.
Beyond my budget really, but if it has proper traffic support it could be worth it, though I see no mention of speed camera support?

Originally Posted by ru'
Waste of time as far as I'm concerned though...
Why ? Are you saying it doesn't work, or you don't use it?

I thought most of the units have full postcode these days?
Old 13 July 2006, 09:15 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Garmin C310 has full postcode for 200 quid.
Does it have speed camera and/or traffic support, though?
Old 14 July 2006, 01:25 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Garmin Nuvi has full post code and the facility for loading points of interest, POI's. Of course if your POI's are speed cameras (sure Garmin don't condone speeding....) then it'll warn you as you approach if you're above a set speed.

You'll need to find a speed camera database somewhere to upload though, pocketgps was the oft quoted source but I think they charge now.

Nuvi also has an optional extra (more dosh) to get trafficmaster data in for live updates. Once you've bought the widget the Trafficmaster info in the UK is free, no subscription fees to pay, unlike the US where you pay monthly subs.
Old 14 July 2006, 07:38 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I have a TomTom Go 700 with the GPS World camera database and the TomTom traffic subscription. The traffic info is well integrated, including a "re-route to minimise traffic delays" option. I drive round part of the M25 every day and it works well for me.

There's probably cheaper options in the TomTom range now that should have the same features. The traffic subscription is a bit expensive (70 euros a year), but worth it. I was using traffic-i on my mobile phone before, which was £40 per year, so it compares well with that, and is much cheaper than TrafficMaster.
Old 14 July 2006, 07:51 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigGT3Fan
...Why ? Are you saying it doesn't work, or you don't use it?

I thought most of the units have full postcode these days?
It does 'work', but it's hardly comprehensive, timely or accurate really. To be honest I haven't used the 'route around' feature, and the traffic module stays at home now most of the time.

At least on the 550 the solution is a bit of a bodge; the tiny traffic module clips into the bracket no worries, but then you have a long wire arial thing with a couple of suckers you need to place across your windscreen (up the side ideally) so it can pick up the RDS signal.

The traffic info is 'free', i.e. no subscription, and it certainly feels it!

As far as full postcode search goes, yes most ones do but not Navman for some reason. They do use the first few digits, enough to get you to the general area. Apparently they will update this eventually...
Old 14 July 2006, 11:56 AM
RayC
Scooby Regular

we got Garmin i3 street pilot from halfords £129, some people have picked them up for £99 my friend downloaded a points of interest package, petrol stations, pizza huts etc and a speed camera locator for free, speed camera bit even knows your speed and doesnt warn if you are not going fast enough