Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

They hate Clarkson

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 10:35 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They hate Clarkson

It fills me with joy to find that they hate him so much, at least someone speaks for the man in the street. I imagine it isn't long until Clarkson falls victim to the thought police and is made illegal :-)

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...icle622110.ece

He has insisted there is almost certainly no such thing as global warming, threatened to run down cyclists who get in his way and vowed to keep his patio heater lit 24 hours a day, just to annoy Greenpeace. But the environmentalists are no longer prepared to put up with Jeremy Clarkson's car-loving agenda.
Sir Jonathon Porritt, whose feud with Mr Clarkson dates back several years, has launched his most scathing attack yet on the presenter of the BBC2 motoring show Top Gear, branding him an "outstandingly bigoted petrolhead".
The former director of Friends of the Earth, who heads the Government's Sustainable Development Commission, chose the opening of a classroom at Rendcomb College, near Cirencester, Gloucestershire, for the latest round in a long-running feud. Sir Jonathon blamed Clarkson for public apathy about climate change and contrasted him with his fellow BBC presenter Sir David Attenborough, who recently went public for the first time about his fears over global warming. Clarkson, on the other hand, is renowned for belittling the threat posed by carbon dioxide emissions.
"In my mind this outstandingly bigoted petrolhead is partly responsible for why so many people today still somehow think that the world is going to be drawn in the image of Jeremy Clarkson rather than the image of David Attenborough and others," Sir Jonathon said. "Anyone who can shut up Jeremy Clarkson deserves more honours than have already been heaped on David Attenborough."
In the past, Sir David has come under fire from environmentalists for failing to use the platform afforded him as the doyen of natural history programmes to address the threat from rising temperatures. But Sir David told The Independent last week: "I am no longer sceptical. Now I do not have any doubt at all. I think climate change is the major threat facing the world."
Sir Jonathon said: "I am delighted that David has accepted the evidence that most people accepted a long time ago ... When people like David Attenborough think very carefully about the evidence, eventually there is very little room for people playing the scientific uncertainty argument. Maybe he will even shut up Jeremy Clarkson. That would be a great relief."
Clarkson has insisted he does not want to be the bête noire of the green lobby and that he just wants to be "the champion of the ordinary people". But many of his actions and comments, particularly in his Sunday Times column, seem designed to raise the hackles of environmentalists. The BBC was forced to pay £250 compensation after he drove a Toyota pick-up truck into a 30-year-old horse chestnut tree on Top Gear and he has also driven a 4x4 through virgin peat bogs on the programme.

He has dismissed the effects of global warming in other countries as not even "worthy of a shrug". He warned cyclists in a column: "Do not cruise through red lights. Because if I'm coming the other way, I will run you down, for fun."
Sian Berry, a spokeswoman for the Alliance Against Urban 4x4s, described Mr Clarkson's stance on global warming as "incredibly irresponsible". "He's like a man in the pub who gets hold of a rumour and tells everyone even though he doesn't know if it's true.
"He perpetuates the worst kinds of stereotypes about people who have concerns about giant gas-guzzlers. Environmentalists stopped being people wearing beards and sandals about 10 years ago ... he's still stuck in the Eighties."
The eco-warrior vs the gas-guzzler
PORRITT ON CLARKSON:
"'Life in the fast lane' is the aspiration of countless millions, regardless of the career crashes and life-wrecks that litter that particular lane. Jeremy Clarkson, the high priest of speed for speed's sake, has a lot to answer for."
(In a critique of the fast pace of life, The Guardian, 28 September 2005)
"Living more sustainably means living happier, more balanced and potentially more fulfilled lives than most of us 'choose' to live today, whatever Jeremy Clarkson may have to say about that!"
www.oursouthwest.com
CLARKSON ON PORRITT:
"I'm sorry, Mr Nboto. We'd love to build a well in your village, but unfortunately Mr Porritt is spending all our money on a new type of possibly unnecessary engine that runs on saliva."
(On why it's "silly to spend billions developing cauliflower-powered cars when they might not make any difference, and half the world is starving."
The Sunday Times, 16 January 2005
"It was as though Jonathon Porritt himself had flown over the town in a giant vacuum cleaner."
About driving in Norway, The Sunday Times, 29 January 2006
"A Happy Christmas to everyone. Except Jonathan Porritt."
In The Sun, 21 December 2001
"For crying out loud, man. You're the boss of a car firm. Siding with Porritt is like finding the Archbishop of Canterbury has sold his cathedral to the devil." On the decision by Mark Quinn of Kia Cars to become a "Green Futures Partner".
The Sun, 27 April 2001
Old 31 May 2006, 10:51 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

"at least someone speaks for the man in the street."

he speaks for the idiot in a pub.....funny to watch on TV but dont elevate him to some sort of position he's not worthy of.
Old 31 May 2006, 10:58 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

his comments need to be taken with a pinch of salt, would he really run over a biker for fun?
Old 31 May 2006, 11:01 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

exactly, he says alot of stuff for the comedy value, I dont think he holds that much of an opinion, he probably thinks the politicians and car manufacterers etc are all contradictory and thats why he likes to get their backs up.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I find this good:

Mr Clarkson's stance on global warming as "incredibly irresponsible". "He's like a man in the pub who gets hold of a rumour and tells everyone even though he doesn't know if it's true.

Exactly like the greeny lobby who bleat on about global effect when they too only have 5% of any comprehension of what is exactly happening and more to the point, what is teh cause - natural, or human. ...their stance is also incredibly irresponsible as the cost to the economy of western countries will cause a loss of billions in wasted "investment".

edit: Also, you can use the same ****ogy for scoobynet LMAO

[clarkson mode]
I don't know what all the fuss is about....in a zillion years the sun will burn out on its own accord, then we'll be nice and cool again.

Who has a Toyota Prius with air conditioning fitted?

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 May 2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Can't forget about the scoobynet anals...can we? ;)
Old 31 May 2006, 11:06 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Clarkson for PM !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2006, 11:08 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Clarkson for PM !!!!!!!!!!!!
2nd the motion
Old 31 May 2006, 11:13 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

chose the opening of a classroom at Rendcomb College, near Cirencester, Gloucestershire
That sums Porritt up, hardly the most ideal platform for launching an attack on Clarkson, he should have been professional and stuck to the brief and his duty as to why he was there in the first place.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:16 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

the bloke is an attention seeking ***** *he hates Birmingham, yet didnt pebble mill in Birmingham give him his break into TV?.. *
STIG for PM!!
Old 31 May 2006, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hectic
the bloke is an attention seeking ***** *he hates Birmingham, yet didnt pebble mill in Birmingham give him his break into TV?.. *
STIG for PM!!
Oh come on, have you tried driving in Birmingham on a regular basis and kept your sanity? And then try parking an Imperza down a dark lit side street in Bordesley over a few nights.

The place is ****.

The only redemption for a petrolhead is the return of the Superprix circuit (although to some of the cruisers...it never disappeared ).

Everything he has said that is wrong with the place is correct. Britain's 2nd city yet has no public transport that doesn't extend past the suburbs or work after 11:00pm

Malta has better public transport...and they use our old buses
Old 31 May 2006, 11:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see Clarkson do a dissection of the current climate argument. He has a knack of finding statistics to uphold his beliefs, and a 1 hour special putting across an alternative viewpoint with professional and scientific input would be very interesting. My own belief is that humans do have an effect on the climate, primarily through sheer numbers. We are getting near crippling the eco-system which supports us. When someone steps forward and suggests population control/limitation as a solution to these troubles I may listen.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:28 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I'd like to see Clarkson do a dissection of the current climate argument.

he wouldnt...it would expose his pub science as being good for nothing but a comedy TV show....which is handy as thats his job.

"clarkson for PM"......one assumes people are joking (or mentally ill?)
Old 31 May 2006, 11:29 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

the bloke is an attention seeking ***** *he hates Birmingham, yet didnt pebble mill in Birmingham give him his break into TV?.

He's worked here so has a justifiably good reason to comment on it.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I agree, overpoluation is a cause.

China's brith control is admiral stance to take on a population that breed more than rabbits.

Human rights wouldn't see it like that though.

Studies on other animals have noted that population booms when there is ideal conditions for living and breeding. Population levels drop through death and less breeding when these ideal conditions cease to exist.

Ladies and gentelmen, I give you the nanny state. The UK's breeding machine. Helping us simple folk breed like rabbits, stay alive, be healthy and give us money for food and shelter.

I like this new "snug rhino" user alias. It's abit like doctor who, just the next incarnation becomes even more outspoken I shouldn't laugh, it's probably a personanilty disorder

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 May 2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:34 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
He's worked here so has a justifiably good reason to comment on it.
ive worked all over the uk but dont go blabbing on tv about it! brum gets enough 'bad press' as it is, (mainly due to the close proximaty of the yam yams) without him giving it too
Old 31 May 2006, 11:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I thought you were a yam yam, hectic?

I'm calling a strike in apathy of brummies, who's with me?

<tumbleweed>
Old 31 May 2006, 11:38 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oh come on, have you tried driving in Birmingham on a regular basis and kept your sanity? And then try parking an Imperza down a dark lit side street in Bordesley over a few nights.

The place is ****.

The only redemption for a petrolhead is the return of the Superprix circuit (although to some of the cruisers...it never disappeared ).

Everything he has said that is wrong with the place is correct. Britain's 2nd city yet has no public transport that doesn't extend past the suburbs or work after 11:00pm

Malta has better public transport...and they use our old buses
im Brummy born and Bred ..and i drive around the 'mean Streets' every day! never mind that the 2nd city doesnt have a decent public transport system, the WHOLE COUNTRY doesnt!!never mind Bordesley, oh, and as for 'parking'...try Weoley Castle!! ( yes, admitedly I live in the 'burbs, but theres far worse places than Brum
Old 31 May 2006, 11:40 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

I thought you were a yam yam, hectic?

I'm calling a strike in apathy of brummies, who's with me?

<tumbleweed>
Brummy, NOT Yam. born in Selly Oak.. i talk proper lioke , me.. not loike dem down duderly way , yow know worrI meen, Alroiiight!!
Old 31 May 2006, 11:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Sure thing, Frank Bruno
Old 31 May 2006, 11:42 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Sure thing, Frank Bruno
you no wot i meen , Ali !!
Old 31 May 2006, 11:47 AM
sociopath
BANNED

Brummy, NOT Yam. born in Selly Oak.. i talk proper lioke , me.. not loike dem down duderly way , yow know worrI meen, Alroiiight!!
Or, what most of us call, an illiterate pleb!
Old 31 May 2006, 11:51 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I've just finished reading a very good book about the build up to, and the aftermath of the Krakatoa eruption.

At the end of the book the author raises some very good points worthy of more discussion. The eruption of Krakatoa and the resultant blasting of millions of tons of dust into the upper atmosphere caused global temperatures to drop by 15deg over the following 2 years, and that wasn't the only major eruption in that period, there were two more on similar scale, but without the catastrophic tidal aftermath. One was in the first half of the 19th century, and one off the coast of Alaska at the end of the century.
Subsequently we have had no major volcanic activity, with the result that the earth has been slowly warming itself up, back to pre-eruption temperatures, as the dust cloud gradually falls back out of the atmosphere.

The other point he raises is that global warming is not likely to be a problem for much longer anyway, as the island (Anak Krakatoa) that appeared in Krakatoa's place 30 years after the eruption is now growing at such a rate that it is likely to eclipse it's predecessor in size during the next 10-15years Also due to the relentless plate activity in the area, witness the tsunamis of last year and last week's earthquake, it is a case of if, not when, a similar eruption is going to occur
Old 31 May 2006, 11:52 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sociopath
Or, what most of us call, an illiterate pleb!
Hardly!
think youll find im neither

HTH
Old 31 May 2006, 11:56 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

PS: Porritt as usual has got it wrong, Clarkson does not belittle the threat posed by alleged global warming, he justifieble attacks the continued demonisation of the car driver for being the major cause. When in fact, according to the green movement's own figures, the worlds automobile population is responsible for less than 1% of CO2 emmissions
Old 31 May 2006, 11:59 AM
sociopath
BANNED

Hardly!
think youll find im neither
'Find'? Find has nothing to do with it. We know you are from a grotty cess pit of iniquity up north somewhere and we know you struggle to string a sentence together. Q.E.D.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:00 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

but theres far worse places than Brum
I **** myself laughing every time I go down the A45 and see that sign;

"Welcome to Coventry. Shakespeare Country"

Old 31 May 2006, 12:02 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Up north somewhere?.. somewhere... oh, i DO apologise, i live in that *other* World that is North of Watford Gap dont I? .. and its hardly a cess pit.. in fact its, quiet nice here , by the countryside
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Quick question, and possible thread hijack.

WTF i a Yam Yam?
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It says much more about the people that actually take Clarkson seriously!!

Yes he can be influential to the thickies who are gullible, but come on.......
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
I **** myself laughing every time I go down the A45 and see that sign;

"Welcome to Coventry. Shakespeare Country"

best thing to come out of Cov?

The A45!!

Quick Reply: They hate Clarkson