Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House buying offers......

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2006, 12:36 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House buying offers......

What do you offer as a 1st offer on a house you want to buy?.

net says 10% off original house price to be deducted as 1st offer..

Is that about right in todays house market climate??

I personally want the house for about 8k(5%) under asking price...is this acceptable on a 160k house???
Old 05 May 2006, 01:46 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd say the net is talking ***** bottom line is that you can offer what you like. If your offer is too low then it gets refused - it doesnt matter you just go back with a higher price and so on.... but if you want 5% off then yes go in first with a 10% less offer then hopefully you split the difference and both feeling like you're the winner.

Dont forget its a volatile market many sellers are anxious to see if they really get what their property is valued at... and there may be all sorts of circumstances you dont know about - they may need a quick sale, it may have been valued at less than that but they want to have a go at getting a bit more....

Of course I wouldnt recommend that you geta couple of mates to put in really low offers that would be wrong
Old 05 May 2006, 07:17 AM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

I've been looking to buy a new house and, at the price it was for sale at I was going to put in an offer £7,500 below the asking price. Went on the net last night to check on the house and they've reduced it to the amount I was going to offer them.

Will I get away with offering them less again?
Old 05 May 2006, 08:25 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

investigate how long has it been on the market, offer less they can only say no. I would not be offering asking prices at the moment if I was buying, I'd be going in with 20% under and expecting minimum 10%, depending on circumstances
Old 05 May 2006, 09:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Seller may also be interested in when you could complete deal. So, for example, you have cash and could complete quickly then make sure seller knows as that could help. Finding out seller's plans i.e. he has deposit on new build and wants to move ASAP can only help you in your negotiations. Best of luck. dl
Old 05 May 2006, 09:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

TBH there's no rules to it, its all circumstance. If the house has been on the market for months then they may accept an offer that would have been refused in the 1st week. It really depends on how deserate they are and how strong your position is, obviously ftb carries some wieght.
Old 05 May 2006, 12:26 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a house that was on the market for £479,950 for £456,000...
Old 05 May 2006, 04:18 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Smile

The way the market is around here (south Herts) nobody will take 10% less than asking from me despite the fact that I am chain free, currently renting.

Generally if they want to sell quicker they will drop the price a bit but still expect to get near what they are asking.

I reckon many more people would consider 5% less although some will still refuse. Certainly in the most desirable areas I have been out bid on houses and watched them go for OVER asking price

Things have really picked up since beginning of the year.
Old 05 May 2006, 07:47 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

virtually everything goes for over asking price over here. Make a stupid low offer. They will think you are a complete ****, but it will put them on the back foot. Then offer 20-25% under asking price. Worst case scenario is that they say no. No-one ever refused to sell a house at the right price, so all you need to do is find out the right price.
Old 05 May 2006, 08:10 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

There's no real set rule as different areas have different traffic in house prices, demand etc.

I offered 15% under the list price of my last house and it was accepted straight away as it had been on the market for over a year. Sold it after 14 months for a whopping profit LOL.
Old 05 May 2006, 08:16 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
virtually everything goes for over asking price over here. Make a stupid low offer. They will think you are a complete ****, but it will put them on the back foot. Then offer 20-25% under asking price. Worst case scenario is that they say no. No-one ever refused to sell a house at the right price, so all you need to do is find out the right price.
Is it just me or does that make no sense? Where is over here?
Old 05 May 2006, 08:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Is it just me or does that make no sense? Where is over here?
Me too.

A beer or 5 too many..........
Old 05 May 2006, 08:23 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

In Northern Ireland