Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Caterham engine - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2001, 02:32 PM
philwaring
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mate has just bought himself a Caterham SV (gyt!) and at the moment is still in bits on the garage floor. One of the remaining parts yet to be sourced is the engine - this is where I'd like anyone's advice/insight please ....

He is contemplating installing a motorbike engine into the beast but is a little unsure how tractible and flexible the engine would be, say he wasn't always thraping around a circuit all the time, when compared to a Rover VVC engine for example. Would it be a little unbearable spinning at high revs for normal cruising??? Which is the best engine to go for, the Fireblade or the Blackbird ( or even putting a Hayabusa engine in there)??

If anyone could get back to me on this matter, it would be much appreciated! I want him to get it on the road pdq to see how it compares to the 'prezza!!

Cheers
Phil
Old 22 October 2001, 03:28 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Edited bcuase I got it wrong.

Dan

[Edited by Danny Fisher - 10/22/2001 3:32:17 PM]
Old 22 October 2001, 03:44 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

try www.blatchat.com

I think for an SV unless he can put a blackbird engine in it I would have thought that a 1.8k would be the best bet, especially as thats what all the engine mounts are set up for.
If he wants to go to the motorbike engined route it won't necessarily be cheaper or quicker, he might want to speak to Paul Harvey in Hove who converts them professionally
BTW everytrackday I have been to with a bike engined car - it has expired - coincidence maybe
Old 22 October 2001, 04:01 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Found the site I was looking for, here goes.

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/site.htm

Dan

[Edited by Danny Fisher - 10/22/2001 4:01:36 PM]
Old 22 October 2001, 04:46 PM
sevenman
Scooby Newbie

Phil,

Your engine chice depends very much on what you want to use your Seven for.

Blackbird and Fireblade engines are all the rage for the committed trackday Seven enthusiast. Perceived wisdom is that they are too extreme for regular road-use. Also they are really still a development engine, so expect to spend an amount of time sorting, maintaining and improving.

There are 3 specs:

1) Standard Blackbird - approx 130 bhp
2) Tuned blackbird with fuel injection - 200 bhp
3) Fireblade - approx 90-100 bhp

The first two from Caterham and or Doug Newman's Blackbird Motor Sport (BMS) - not Paul Harvey - he did the development not the production run

The fireblade from James Whiting: http://www.jameswhiting.co.uk/

Also an SV is heavier (although not much - 25kgs ISTR) than a standard Seven, so a motorbike engines reduced torque will have a harder job to do, which equals more strain on the engine.

The factory SVs have K series engines - 1.6 or 1.8 regular or supersport, VHPD (190bhp) or R500 (230bhp).

On the plus side, the rev-ability and cornering of a bike-engined seven is just awesome.

However my view is that you are probably better off going K-series that bike unless you want a pure track day car.

Old 23 October 2001, 08:08 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I have a bike engined car (Westfield not Caterham). The bike engines are a superb option if ultimate performance is what you are after. The Fireblade seems the most bomb-proof, comes with 128-140bhp depending on year (not 90-100bhp ), but when linked with a overall kerb weight of c400kg, gives a PWR of 320-350bhp/tonne (more than any current Ferrari and most Diablos ). If you up the stakes to a Blackbird engine (170bhp), a Hiyabusa(sp?) engine (180bhp+) or even a supercharged Blackbird engine (200bhp) the PWR figures can shame the best supercars around However there have been problems with larger bike engined cars (Birds/Busas etc) as they need dry sumping, and several arn't - usually the ones that have blown!!

With care, they are as reliable (if not more so) that most car engines, and are easliy usable around town, once you get used to the bike gearbox. The poor tractability is crap, mine will happily pull from 30mph in 6th gear.

All that being said, the SV is a heavier option, and any ****** in the bike-engined armour (both performance and reliability) will be exacerbated in a heavier car The K-Series is a proven formula, and is very tuneable, although the same unreliability/high maintenance kicks in the higher the power output.

SCREAM IF YOU WANT TO GO FASTER

[Edited by GaryC - 10/23/2001 8:17:36 AM]
Old 23 October 2001, 12:27 PM
philwaring
Scooby Regular

Thanks to you all for your input, I've passed on the URL on to my mate ...

Gary - did you build the Westfield yourself, I bet its awesome! What engine has it got?
Old 23 October 2001, 12:31 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

No I didn't build it myself! (I struggle to change a wheel ) and it has a Fireblade engine
Old 23 October 2001, 12:32 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

....and yes it's awesome