Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Replacing internet modem connection with something better...

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2001, 01:11 PM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for advice on replacing my current method of connecting to the internet with something better. I know there is faster ways of connecting, but am not clued up on what they are and how much they cost nor who to contact.

I currently have 2 lines comming into my house.

Line 1: BT Line and NTL dialler box used for all voice calls.
Line 2: BT Line and NTL dialler box and Modem used for internet and working from home calls.

I end up paying NTL roughly £15 a month for calls and internet. I also have to BT there bit for the 2 lines + only a small amount for calls (as most calls are automatically redirected through the NTL network by the NTL dialler box).

Changing ISP's is not a problem for me as I have my own domain name.

I think some solutions can have 1 line supporting both voice calls and data calls at the same time. This would mean I could get rid of my 2nd line.

thanks in advance, Mark.
Old 22 October 2001, 03:19 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Why not get BT's ADSL, cut down to one line and keep your NTL dialer box? As you may or may not know, the ADSL is connected to the net all the time 24/7. You just connect when you startup and disconnect when you shut down. All for £40 pcm.

I'd steer clear of NTL from what I've heard, including a very funny letter to them posted here!

David
Old 22 October 2001, 04:07 PM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Much obliged for the info.

BTW, saw the NTL letter - the one with the cat's poo!. I'd love to have seen there face when they opened that one.

regards, Mark.
Old 22 October 2001, 04:15 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Mark

Your two main options are ISDN (Probably Home Highway) or ADSL.

ISDN is essentially a digital phone line. In the Home Highway form you receive two "channels" either can be used as an anlogue phone line or 64k Digital line in any combination (i.e. 2 x Analogue, 2 x Digital or 1 of each) at any one time. You recieve three numbers one for each analogue channel and one for the two available digital channels. Normally one of the analogue numbers is your original Telephone number.

To use it for Internet access you need an ISDN TA (equivalent of a modem). These can be either internal cards or external boxes (you'll have to buy this. Prices Range from £25 upwards). Your ISP must support ISDN connections. In a few cases the 2 digital channels can be bundled to form a 128K circuit but you invariably pay 2 phone calls.

This is what I have. Cost is £40/Month for the Home Highway (includes all BT line rental).You then pay £12.99 a month for FreeServe anytime. £40 inlcudes a £13 call allowance. There are a variety of package to use surftime discounts and ISPs.

Benefits include ISDN connection speed (the actual connection takes a few secs instead of up to 30/40 secs for analogue modem). 64K connection every time. You get a second phone number and line (useful for faxes etc when working from Home). If your office has ISDN connectvity it provides a better WFH solution. (Important for me)

Downside - still have to dial for the Internet (i have another box which does it automatically and shares the connection).

ADSL uses your current phone line and "piggy backs" on top. It is a permanent Internet only connection at speeds ranging from 256K upwards. The speed is asymmetric i.e. you have more download speed than upload speed. The connection to your PC is via either a USB connection or in some cases a LAN (RJ45 Ethernet) connection. Up until now the box is provided by the ISP. There may be a "wires only" service in the future. It is also possible to share either of these amongst several PCs.

Cost I *believe* is about £40/month depending on service provider. This includes the ADSL rental and ISP subscription. Normal rental and charges apply on your Phone Line. If you still need a second phone line for working from home it will still cost more.

Home Highway is more widely available than ADSL but still not guaranteed. The choice comes down not just to cost but also what else you use your two lines for.

Regards

Deano

Forgot to add if you can get hold a redundant ISDN router you can also use that with HomeHighway. Even if you need to dial Surftime and non-surftime numbers - You got that working yet Puff?
[Edited by dsmith - 10/22/2001 4:19:32 PM]

[Edited by dsmith - 10/22/2001 4:22:18 PM]
Old 23 October 2001, 09:32 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

thanks for the detailed reply Deano, have printed it off and will read through it.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 23 October 2001, 12:08 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark if you go Home Highway I have and ISDN BT Speedway internal PCI modem card which I could sell you at less than retail as I now have ADSL and don't need it any more.
Old 23 October 2001, 06:04 PM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offer Barry. I need some time to read up on what I've been told so far. Then I'll possibly be in touch.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 23 October 2001, 06:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Deano is the MAN when it comes to connecting via routers

Deano

Had it all set up on Sunday eve but just as I went to connect after saving, it wouldn't have any of it Played around a bit & couldn't find any reason. Decided to go back to orig config but still not working. Deleted nvram & started again with config.txt but still nothing Desparate to get connection before CS Eventually rang Demon who had major prob accepting any calls to connect to Internet Typical that it happened at the same time as I finished...

Anyhow, know the plan. Contemplating for Anytime instead, but 'til then Surftime hours only.

You should have got a plaintive answerphone message on your mobile on Sunday evening!!

Try again - practice makes perfect