Being harassed by neighbour - police can't really help :(

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2006, 10:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Being harassed by neighbour - police can't really help :(

Sadly we have rather sh1te neighbours.

A couple who live opposite us have recently split and he has decided to go after all his ex's friends and ruin our lives until she takes him back - which will stop these attacks.

He is currently of no fixed abode so being given a cell for the night is actually a benefit to him. He doesn't care about the police and anyway, the police can't do anything to him due to lack of proof.

On Saturday I went to take my GF to work and found all 4 tyres had been let down on our car. The same thing had also been done to another mutual friend of ours. Obviously it is this lad but we have no proof. To be fair to the police they picked him up and gave him a warning under the harassment act. Another complaint from us and he will be charged.

All gone quiet until this morning. The lads ex comes round to check our car becuase he has put a brick through the window of the other car he let the tyres down on. He has now realised that doing 2 cars in the same night was a bit obvious so no doubt the same will be heading our way in the next few days.

Now this is blatant criminal damage which is going to cost her a fair penny to replace (shes not FC insured) and the police know it was this lad yet without proof all they can do is question him but can't take it any further.

Its very annoying that this lad can get away with causing this sort of damage and costing us to repair his stupidity and the police can't do anything without evidence.

What happens when he puts a brick through our house window and my 4 year old daughter is stood on the other side of it?? What will the police do then? I assume without evidence again they'll be powerless to do anything.

The lad is a fair size bigger than me but if damage occurs to me or my family what am I supposed to do? I take a pole to his head, I get charged with assault and he just comes back for more.

I know taking the law into my own hands will only escalate matters but am I expected to just sit back while my partner can't sleep at night worrying what this lad will do to us next? Or if we wake up to find our windows put through.

I'm not one for confrontation at all but I will not stand back and let this person terrorise our lives while the police just say they can't do anything without proof.

Sorry for the rant but I hate having my standard of living ruined by a mindless thug!
Old 15 March 2006, 10:37 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you all get a collection together and have him shot, if he is of no fixed abode then he won't be missed
Old 15 March 2006, 10:40 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If there really is no evidence then I almost sympathise with the Police, but from my experience they don't actually look for any evidence in the first place. They don't knock on neighbours doors to see if anybody saw anything etc.

They seem happy enough to put speed cameras up everywhere, why don't they lend out video cameras for people to put in a front window for a few weeks in these cases?
Old 15 March 2006, 10:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Set up CCTV outside your house, for what it will cost it'll give you piece of mind for 2 things,

1. He'll stay away for fear of giving evidence

2. He'll carry on with what hes doing and will provide the evidence you need to get the police on his back (but I still wouldnt expect much fromt he police.

Id get a few mates to spend a few nights round your place for some late night sessions and wait for anything dodgy to go down and just put the sh!tters up him, dont need to lay into him, just dangle him off a railway bridge for a minute and give him a message
Old 15 March 2006, 11:57 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Davegtt I did something similar in the 90's when my car was being vicitimised outside my parents.
I enrolled one my "harder" mates and tooled up we waited in the dark on the nights when the strikes usually occured.
Alas they never came bac - maybe someone tipped them off or maybe it was coinicidence. Good though that the damage stopped occuring...
Its a good idea to have some mates round on the nights these things often happen (if there is a pattern) and warn him off...
CCTV is a more user friendly option though and had this have been available to me 10 years ago I would have given that some serious thought...
All the best
P
Old 15 March 2006, 12:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the girl speak to him? Tell her you're utterly pissed off and even fearful for your child's safety, you know the police won't sort it, and now you've got your cousin's Chapter involved to sort it privately and permanently; if anything more happens, you'll give the word.

Wait for her to pass it to him, and see if the rumour does the trick.
Old 15 March 2006, 03:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Sadly, the guy doesn't really give a **** about getting a beating by the sounds of it.

Think it would just make him more determined to cause us more aggrevation. He's been warned to stay away from us but even today his walked past my place of work staring at me with a grin on his face. He's even threatened my GF who is a hairdresser but when the police questioned him he said when was it against the law to get a haircut.

I have to make a statement tonight to the police about the tyres being let down - they couldn't even be bothered to come to us.

Sadly though, if I do anything illegal the police will be on my doorstep quick as a flash. Yet he gets to cause us all the problems and the police can do nothing.

My girlfriend won't even step outside where she works. I have to make sure I'm there at 5pm incase he shows up. My Impreza is being serviced in the next town so thats out the way and I'm putting the GFs car in the garage. I don't think he knows which garage is ours.

The worry is though that if he can't find our car to brick he'll do the house.

Could try CCTV but he wears caps and hooded tops so even if you could tell it was him without seeing his face it would be pretty useless. I would set up the camera to make it look like I was filming the car but he'd probably just smash the window and steal the camera.

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2006, 03:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Id probably try to catch him in the act like I said with a few mates and lock him in your shed or something so he has nowhere to go and ring the police whilst you have caught him red handed Failing that, frame him for something, i.e when you catch him chuck him in the garage with a knife, thick plank will probably pick it up or you can hope he has gloves
Old 15 March 2006, 03:28 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Unless you can catch him or prove he has been doing these things there is not much you can do.

However, if he is harassing his ex too, then she should be able to get a restraining order for him to stay away from the area.

Does your neighbour (the ex) know what is happening ??
Old 15 March 2006, 03:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewanrw
Unless you can catch him or prove he has been doing these things there is not much you can do.

However, if he is harassing his ex too, then she should be able to get a restraining order for him to stay away from the area.

Does your neighbour (the ex) know what is happening ??
She knows whats happening because he's told her. He's sent her dodgy txts along the lines of sleep with me and I'll stop causing all these problems and she says she told the police but you never know - f8cking pond life the lot of them!!!

Guess its just a case of wait and see what he does next. Only thing for sure is that if my daughter is harmed in anway I'll be handing myself into the police station for cutting his fingers off
Old 15 March 2006, 03:47 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Don't want to make any presumptions, but, for your daughters sake, let the cops deal with it, I don't think they'll be able to ignore this much longer. It sounds like the culprit may need some form of help, not a beating.

ewan
Old 15 March 2006, 04:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewanrw
Don't want to make any presumptions, but, for your daughters sake, let the cops deal with it, I don't think they'll be able to ignore this much longer. It sounds like the culprit may need some form of help, not a beating.

ewan
Without question he needs help. Whether the police or indeed any other service will get involved is another matter. I thought that the more of a nuisance he becomes and the more times we end up contacting the police, they would have to deal with it in some way but how? If the police keep saying they have no proof their hands are tied.

Violence is not my cup of tea at all but there is only so much a person can take.
Old 15 March 2006, 04:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would be nice if the police did an old fashioned stakeout and watched the area where this git is causing problems. At least then they can see what he is up to, and his word against theirs might allow something to be done.

It really does make you want to go into vigilante mode, even if you're usually a fairly passive person, when this type of thing happens. But as we all know too well, if we do anything against the scum, we'll the one that'll end up having the book thrown at us.

Maybe you should phone the police and say he's been speeding up and down the street, they'll turn up in full force with an armed response team then
Old 15 March 2006, 04:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe if you and a few strong mates caught him in the act and made him an offer he can't refuse, with demonstrations if necessary, that might slow him down a bit.

Les
Old 15 March 2006, 05:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

a nice balaclaver<spelling> and a good ole basebat, even if he knows it was you he cant prove it to the police and im sure he would get sick of getting a constant hidding quicker than trying to cause damage
Old 15 March 2006, 05:32 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Pick up the brick (make sure you're wearing gloves) and put it through the Chief Cunstable's window - See if the Police can do something then !

Sorry to hear of your problems - no easy answer here - he could have bigger mates!

Going down the violence route is fine if it's just you he can hurt - that's not the case here .

Make sure you've complained in writing to the police. Tell them he's threatened to kill you and your family.
Old 15 March 2006, 05:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ASBO ASBO ASBO.

They're all the fashion nowadays!
Old 15 March 2006, 05:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.

Install CCTV, deterrent or evidence, either way it will work.

Demand the police do an extra patrol in your area once in a while.
Old 15 March 2006, 06:02 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

Had a nutter move into the rented house down the road and give the world hell.
It kicked off a number of times and the road was packed with plod cars. In fact I have never seen so many police before.
All our neighbours got together and the street had more CCTV than Big Brother - he did something a little bit naughty, got seen on tape and went down.

It took a while but it got sorted. The plods were good in the end. Hang in there.
Old 15 March 2006, 07:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

There's a couple of chavs around my area who used to cause a nuisance last year. A woman living opposite me chairs the local neighbourhood watch scheme. They targetted her and ended up bricking her car window. And this happend only a couple of days after I moved in - and I thought it was a nice area! I can't help but think that her having a large Neighbourhood Watch sign stuck on the side of her house doesn't do her favours!
Anyway, these lads decided to take a football from my neighbour's young son so he came out and gave chase. They just gave him a load of abuse and ran off.
Myself and some of the male neighbours now have an agreement that if this escalates into anything more serious we'll hunt them down and beat the b4stads. In complete disguise of course!

Fortunately for all of us, nothing much has happend since so hopefully these chavs have got bored and moved on.

I must admit I get scared of myself when I see these 4rseholes hanging around. I just want a peaceful life but know I'd go mad if any chav damaged my property or upset my misses.
Probably be me that would end up in trouble
Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 15 March 2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 15 March 2006, 07:20 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

my bosses son is going through a similar problem at the mo himself.

his neighbours kick off banging the walls, slamming doors, music up loud. the usual nuisance ****e. unfortunately his car was attacked with a bat at the beginning of the year, the damage wrote the car off.

on request of his misses they've gone down the legal route, sound equipment to monitor noise levels, guys had an ASBO slapped on him and been charged with harrasement. police are round there all the time.

if your guy is anything like his neighbour, a slap will solve nothing. this guy has been done over so many times it's unreal, the last beating was with a blunt sword, the guy just healed in hospital then went and damn near killed the fella that done it. you can not win against people like that, they are different to you or me and basically don't give a **** about themselves so aren't gonna give a toss about you or your family.

CCTV seems about your only option by the sounds of it mate, but find out the legalities of this as apparently you can't show other peoples property as it invades their privacy or something like that and could be inadmissable evidence

good luck, it really is a bloody nightmare if you've got this sort of problem
Old 16 March 2006, 10:13 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
CCTV seems about your only option by the sounds of it mate, but find out the legalities of this as apparently you can't show other peoples property as it invades their privacy or something like that and could be inadmissable evidence
This is correct. You have to set up "privacy zones" to mask off other properties if you are looking out over the street etc.
Old 16 March 2006, 10:47 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

CCTV is a waste of time, unless it CLEARLY and i mean CLEARLY shows the face of the offender, if the offender has it covered by a scarf or coat and usually they do this stuff at night, identification is im afraid not possible, so again they get a way with it.

As told to me by a police officer when i showed him a tape of a tw@t trying to break into my old car.

But the officer did have 1 piece of advice for me, when you get hold of him and beat the sh!te out of him, mke sure there are no witnesses
Old 16 March 2006, 11:23 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

if you know where the offender lives/hangs out etc...
i think a couple of hundred £ in the right hands will take care of your issues.

lets face it, if he has trouble walking about, it's unlikely he'll wheelchair it to your house!!

if you get what i mean.

its a sad world and i do feel for you mate. - some people are absolutely inhuman, and need to be dealt with inhumanly!!!

good luck
Old 16 March 2006, 11:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I went to the police station thinking I would be making a statement regarding the tyres bing let down on our car but the police are only interested in the threatening txt messages as the txts are a form of proof and the tyres could have been anyone.

I asked the policeman what would happen if he threw a brick through my window , I saw him do it and chased him down the road. If there are no other witnesses I assume its his word against mine - yes was the reply. So I catch him doing it and the police can do nothing without someone else backing me up.

Moreover what happens if I catch him and **** him with my jack handle stored safely by the front door. He breaks my window and I get charged with GBH or whatever ???

The policeman even had to write down his txts to me exactly as it was spelt. They do this so if it goes to court this wasters solicitor can't turn round and say its not his actual words. I said to him that it must be very frustrating when you know it is someone doing this yet you can't do anything.

Nothing happened last night but its hard not to lay awake at night waiting for this pr1ck to put a brick through our window.

With all this thats going on its really no wonder that people take measures into thier own hands.
Old 16 March 2006, 11:53 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some actual hard evidence against him. Letting some tyres down won't get him banged up. The police can't do anything without solid evidence unfortunately. This can work against you or work for you IYSWIM

Under the cover of darkness, grab him late at night and take him somewhere quiet. If a good kicking doesn't work at least he'll be out of the way for a few months until he's all healed.

That's all purely hypothetical and something I read in an Ian Rankin novel once
Old 16 March 2006, 11:12 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
There's a couple of chavs around my area who used to cause a nuisance last year. A woman living opposite me chairs the local neighbourhood watch scheme. They targetted her and ended up bricking her car window. And this happend only a couple of days after I moved in - and I thought it was a nice area! I can't help but think that her having a large Neighbourhood Watch sign stuck on the side of her house doesn't do her favours!
Anyway, these lads decided to take a football from my neighbour's young son so he came out and gave chase. They just gave him a load of abuse and ran off.
Myself and some of the male neighbours now have an agreement that if this escalates into anything more serious we'll hunt them down and beat the b4stads. In complete disguise of course!

Fortunately for all of us, nothing much has happend since so hopefully these chavs have got bored and moved on.

I must admit I get scared of myself when I see these 4rseholes hanging around. I just want a peaceful life but know I'd go mad if any chav damaged my property or upset my misses.
Probably be me that would end up in trouble
Nick

Just talk to those kids like a adult. Try and identify the leader and just have a calm chat without any demands. Usually after that they will think your alright and leave you and your property alone.
Old 17 March 2006, 12:51 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Get some mates round one eveing, hire a dvd for a "reasonable excuse why you had 10 mates round", get the kettle on and unlock the front door.

Andy
Old 17 March 2006, 05:20 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Mate, this guy is a cowardly, spineless piece of ****. I'd bet as soon as you stood up to him he'd burst into tears. Although he'd probably run to the police himself, which is the biggest wind up.

It's daft you have to pay for CCTV. Having a few of the lads popping in and out on a regular basis will do the world of good, or what about arranging a scooby meet on your drive so that visually people know you have lots of friends.....

Confronting him will more than likely lead to a viscous circle, unless you really put the **** up him. You don't need to hang him over a zoo enclosure or even lay a finger on him. If he goes for you, do your best to crush his windpipe and have a "passing friend" ring the police.

If you catch him near your house, make sure you drag him upstairs after you've given him his well deserved beating!
Old 17 March 2006, 05:21 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

EddScott, radical thought perhaps, but have you tried reasoning with him? He is clearly acting irrationaly right now but underneath he is still a human being and may respond if you simply talk to him. Explain how scared your GF is, how you empathize with his position but that what he's doing is not helping and in fact is having 180 degrees opposite effect to what he wants. As a very last resort, if reasoning alone fails to make a difference, tell him that your family is as important to you as his ex is to him and that if necessary you would also have to go to extremes to ensure their protection if you are forced to.

Quick Reply: Being harassed by neighbour - police can't really help :(