Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Laser Eye Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2006, 02:56 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Laser Eye Surgery

I`ve seen it advertized from £395 per eye up to £695, why such a price difference?
I`ve worn glasses since I was 16, thats 23 years now and feel like a change. I`ve tried contacts in the past but there`s no chance of me putting them in at 4am each morning to go to work. I could do with a new pair of glasses, so why not put the money toward surgery instead I figure. The surgery itself only takes a matter of minutes I beleive. The only thing that concerns me is the after effects, the time it takes from blurred vision to being able to see properly after the treatment. I dare say I can put up with the pain, if any.

Have you had it done, whats your experience?

Neil.
Old 23 January 2006, 12:21 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

I'm seriously considering getting this done this year myself. A girl in my office heard me talking about it and it turns out she got hers done about 3 yrs ago and her husband about 5 yrs ago. Both have better than 20/20 vision when they have check ups now and have never looked back.

The company she used and recommended were Optimax. If it's good enough for my scoob it's good enough for me! http://www.optimax.co.uk/

If you look on ebay you can get it even cheaper with Optimax. Cancelled appts etc apparently. Would be interested to hear others experiences as well though...
Old 23 January 2006, 09:08 AM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n one
I`ve seen it advertized from £395 per eye up to £695, why such a price difference?
I`ve worn glasses since I was 16, thats 23 years now and feel like a change. I`ve tried contacts in the past but there`s no chance of me putting them in at 4am each morning to go to work. I could do with a new pair of glasses, so why not put the money toward surgery instead I figure. The surgery itself only takes a matter of minutes I beleive. The only thing that concerns me is the after effects, the time it takes from blurred vision to being able to see properly after the treatment. I dare say I can put up with the pain, if any.

Have you had it done, whats your experience?

Neil.
I had it one around May time at the Manchester Eye Hospital and it cost me about £2500 for both eyes. There are a few different ways of doing them, Lasik and Lasek (I think).

Lasik is where they cut a flap through the len of the eye and then laser though. The issue is the flap never heals and could 'potentially' be dislodged in the future, advantage is very little pain and quick recovery.

Lasek (which I had) they scrape some cells off the front of the eye (half the lens!) and then laser through and try to put the cells back. This hurts for a few days but long term your eye is possibly stronger.

I also had wavefront, which bumped the price up. This is where they map the eye - the lens isnt the same thickness all the way through and the shape isnt an exact sphere - and they then tweak the laser to compensate for differences. This is supposed to give you better results.

My eye sight is now +0.5 which is pretty good and the beauty is that as my eyes weaken, due to age, they should come in to perfection. I've not looked back since having mine done and it is amazing how quick you forget about wearing glasses and contacts. My prescription before was -3 in both eyes.

Go and chat to a few different companies and read peoples reviews on the web.
Old 23 January 2006, 09:22 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

As I only have sight in 1 eye, and am worried about the potential problems, my optician recommended thathe reffered me privately to a Surgeon at the local hospital, as although the cost is much more (£1250 per eye - but I only need 1 doing), the results are much better! He didnt "diss" optimax et all, but just recommended as the stakes were high, getting it done "properly" (whilst his surgeon mate slipped him £50 - I'm still saving - although it maytake a few years!)
Old 23 January 2006, 10:23 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

These guys are expensive (and very pushy once they get your details), but I know a few people that have used them successfully: http://my.ultralase-eye-surgery.co.uk/

Steve
Old 23 January 2006, 12:42 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I have used these for about 5 years. I think they are brilliant..

http://www.nightanddaycontacts.com/
Old 23 January 2006, 01:13 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot

I used to have them , but as my timekeeping is shockingly bad, I wore them for more than 30 days (somethimes probably around 45), and ended up starting to get ulcers on my eyes (whoops) - stopped using them ,and all is OK now!

TBH, they were so comfortable that I forgot I had them in (part of the reason for forgetting to take them out!
Old 23 January 2006, 01:19 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
and ended up starting to get ulcers on my eyes (whoops) - stopped using them ,and all is OK now!

for a man with one eye you live on the edge a little !
Old 23 January 2006, 07:38 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies as I dont actually know anyone thats had it done. Its all rather interesting thats for sure.
I`ve just found a forum from a link above with plenty of info too.

http://www.lasereyeforum.com/forum/

Neil
Old 23 January 2006, 08:46 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

i am interested in doing that as well as i go through a pair of glasses pretty quick and i am only short sighted, might think about it in a few years time.
Old 26 January 2006, 03:45 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had mine done today at 11am, It didn’t hurt at all just a little uncomfortable. It is now nearly 15:45 and I can see really well, a bit hazy but not bad for the same day. Not really sore but still sensitive to light so shades are on, Wait and see what it is like tomorrow, It will only get better and I am very happy.
Old 27 January 2006, 08:35 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Which company did you go with and how much did it cost?

And how are your eyes today?

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
Just had mine done today at 11am, It didn’t hurt at all just a little uncomfortable. It is now nearly 15:45 and I can see really well, a bit hazy but not bad for the same day. Not really sore but still sensitive to light so shades are on, Wait and see what it is like tomorrow, It will only get better and I am very happy.
Old 28 January 2006, 01:42 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Hasn't he replied? Perhaps he hasn't seen it...!!
Old 28 January 2006, 02:08 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

lol Im here, I went with optimax price depends on the type you have, I went for Lasek.
I had a check yesterday and all was good, I could read the bottom line with each eye before I would be lucky to get the top . Still very wierd not seeing the glasses and I keep trying to push them up. But in all I CAN SEE so I would do through it again. worth every penny.
Old 28 January 2006, 02:54 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
optimax
That stuff crops up everywhere
Old 29 January 2006, 09:23 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

Power Junkie, Would you care to give an update, hows things now?

Neil.
Old 29 January 2006, 09:29 AM
Little Miss WRX

Originally Posted by ShyTot

I tried them and my eyes were so painful. The optician has just given up trying to tell me I can't wear contact lenses as long as I want to. Even having them in whilst I am refereeing on the weekend is causing me problems.

However, I have finally found a glasses style to suit me.

I looked into seriously getting the laser surgery, but the one thing that has stopped me is the high price and the fact that they wouldn't be able to correct my vision completely in one go and I would more than likely still have to wear glasses.

I am now happier wearing glasses as I have a pair that everyone has commented that they suit me, so I'll see whether or not the technology advances to where they can fix up myopia of -8.5 in one shot.

How are things going with you Power Junkie as asked above?
Old 29 January 2006, 11:13 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt bother with laser. My friend did and he found he still had to wear glasses and didnt get the vision he wanted. This guy being totally loaded decided to go get this other treatment. it was a few grand but they took out his lenses and put in some synthetic ones which had been altered to compensate for his bad vision. Apperantly its the best hing hes ever done.
Old 29 January 2006, 11:31 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

i asked my optician about surgery and he said he deffinately didnt recommend it as it is high risk and theres a chance my eyesight could get worse or even blind if things dont go right

Went to have contact lenses fitted and ended up collapsing in the shop feeling dizzy, sick and weak at the knees.They took the lenses out and i felt fine, havent gone back since to re-try as i am too embarressed

My glasses are fine, just that they only last me a year cos i hate it when they start falling down your nose, plus i will have to get some sunglasses made up for this summer.
Old 29 January 2006, 02:49 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

I am all good Does not feel like anything has been done, except I can see . It feels a bit like I have new glasses where it takes a bit to get used to. I have only needed to use 1 or 2 refresh drops a day but eyes feel normal. I had a friend who had -6.25 and went for the Wavefront Lasek and she now has 20/20 and getting better with every test.
Im still finding it odd not having glasses on or seeing them, Still happy with the result
Old 29 January 2006, 07:49 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
i asked my optician about surgery and he said he deffinately didnt recommend it as it is high risk and theres a chance my eyesight could get worse or even blind if things dont go right
No offence mate but your optician is hardly going to reccomend it is he?
I paid money to opticians regulary until I had laser treatment years ago. I've had perfect vision ever since, and no optician's bills. Statistically it is *not* high risk, and for him to say it is is silly scaremongering.
Old 30 January 2006, 01:31 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

As I have said, I know people who had bad eyes do it, They And now I am very happy with the results
Old 30 January 2006, 06:01 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Power Junkie, how long was it before you could drive?

Regular updates would be good too.

Neil.
Old 30 January 2006, 09:50 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n one
Power Junkie, how long was it before you could drive?

Regular updates would be good too.

Neil.
It was only 24 hours then fine to drive.Just getting used to the glare from the headlights, Im used to the Anti glare coating from my glasses . I have another checkup tomorrow so I will give another update then. But both eyes have the same vision and I am still very happy, it does not feel like I have had anything done all feels normal but not a blur
Old 31 January 2006, 07:47 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Ok I had another check today, I can now see better than 20-20 so thats the bottom line, then an other below everything is good and healing well.
Old 31 January 2006, 09:23 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Great to hear everythings well.

Thanks for the updates.

Neil
Old 02 February 2006, 10:33 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Just Had the one week check. All is good and I can stop taking the drops (still use the fake tears if needed) I could see two lines down from 20/20. so next check will be in a month's time, I am starting to get used to the full vision without the frame's now and settling in to it . eyes still get a little tired but not too bad now. so results are 10 out of 10
Old 02 February 2006, 07:03 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Old 10 March 2006, 12:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Am currently looking into having this done.

I have been wearing contact lenses for a couple of years now but am finding vision inconsistant when playing pool/snooker, as I have astigmatism and the lens can move when looking out of the top of my eyes.

Came across this on the Optimax website:

"Unsuitable:

Please note that people with a perfectionist nature are not good candidates for laser eye treatment."

?
Old 10 March 2006, 12:46 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

This is all very tempting, I have worn glasses for years, maybe its time to get a consultation with someone like ultralase and get a quote.

The only thing putting me off is that my gfs sister had it done and whilst it made an improvement on her sight, she still has to wear glasses and when its dark her vision is appauling.

Quick Reply: Laser Eye Surgery