Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cheap skiing (Possibly Poland)

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2005, 10:09 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap skiing (Possibly Poland)

Looking at going skiing with a few mates in February as the wife has given me a free pass for a few days. I am looking at a few places but Poland seems like a good option as you can get cheap flights to Krakow. I only want to go for five days and can’t find many package deals from Scotland for less than seven. I was looking at Ryanair flights and a B&B. I am also half Polish and would like to see where my dad came from.
Anyone been Skiing in Poland or any of the cheaper resorts? How much am I looking at for Ski hire, B&B and beer? Is the Skiing any good? Any places or websites you can recommend.
Old 07 December 2005, 10:51 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are some Ski resorts on (or near) the borders with the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Only really know about the Czech Republic, but there are plenty of young Pols hanging out around Byres Road/Ashton Lane to ask.
Old 07 December 2005, 11:00 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

The biggist resort is Zakopane. You can get flights from Prestwick for £20 and the bus takes two hours from the airport. It's just finding out how much accomidation, lift pass, ski's etc are.
Old 07 December 2005, 11:10 AM
delbert
Scooby Regular

Question

Im also looking to go skiing aroung feb/mar time for a couple of days. Ive only been a couple of times before (norway + france) both times it was quite expensive, this time im going with the girlfriend whos not been before so just wondering if anyones got any sujestions of where would be cheap and be for beginners?
Old 07 December 2005, 11:36 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zakopane-life.com/zakopane-skiing.php
Old 07 December 2005, 11:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I went here two years ago http://www.skiarealspindl.cz/index.php?lang=3&ro=1 it was so cheap I couldn't believe it! Might be different now. Not the most challenging resort, but a good laugh and very friendly people.
Old 07 December 2005, 12:05 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Bulgaria is good for beginners and is still cheap... Not too great for mad nightlife though...

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2005, 01:39 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Good link Ozzy Thanks.

Jack, how far is the resort was it from the airport?
Old 07 December 2005, 02:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It was a good couple of hours from Prague by car, or you could take the bus, that would take longer but it was only 25p!
Old 07 December 2005, 08:06 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
Bulgaria is good for beginners and is still cheap... Not too great for mad nightlife though...
wouldnt recommend bulgaria...had a weekend in sofia last weekend, people are horrid...!!!

dont know about the ski resorts though, but pretty sure the locals will have the same attitude...!
Old 07 December 2005, 08:34 PM
Mark Kwiatkowski
Scooby Regular

My family are Polish (you wouldn't of guessed it from my name ) We have a family home in Poronin which is just outside Zakopane and i've been going skiing there for the past 4-5 years now.

If you are an advanced skier then Kasprowy Wierch is for you but the cable car that takes you up there is old and you'll be queing all day to get up there, well worth going up for the view alone though. The other area is Nosal which also has a good mix of runs for intermediates and advanced skiers.

Gubalowka is also good and close to the centre of town (if a little tight in places) There is a moden funicular that takes you to the top very quickly.

I found that the best place to go was Bialka (http://www.bialkatatrzanska.pl/ Sorry the site is only available in Polish) Slopes are nice and easy (Just right for me ) not too busy and well prepared, Good lifts and a nice couple of restaurants.

For hotels and B&B's in the area have a look here: http://www.bialka.tatrzanska.com/noclegi/index.html (sorry all in Polish again!).

If you don't fancy being out in the sticks then here are a couple of good quality hotels in Zakopane: http://www.zakopane-hotel-guide.com/find.php (it's in English this time!)

I used to go around end of January becauase the ski jumping world cup was on in Zakopane.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Kwiatkowski; 07 December 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07 December 2005, 08:35 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Zakopane is a very nice village to stay in. went there last year just before christmas. ski hire is cheap cheap, beer and accomodation is cheap. skiing is okay, for beginners and intermediates really and not that much skiing to do , If you are a fan of french characterless but vast ski resorts, i would say you would be dissapointed, but if you like austrian characterfulll but small (compared to france) resorts i would say go for it. lots of foreign people seem to like it. do a search on google, you can find somewhere peoples comments (maybe on lonelyplanet.com ?) hotels (mine anyway) tend to stil serve mainly polish food. i ate half the time in the vilage where there was plenty good western food. all i can say personally is i can recommend it. small but very nice
Michael

Last edited by super slider; 07 December 2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07 December 2005, 10:03 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Kwiatkowski
My family are Polish (you wouldn't of guessed it from my name ) We have a family home in Poronin which is just outside Zakopane and i've been going skiing there for the past 4-5 years now.

If you are an advanced skier then Kasprowy Wierch is for you but the cable car that takes you up there is old and you'll be queing all day to get up there, well worth going up for the view alone though. The other area is Nosal which also has a good mix of runs for intermediates and advanced skiers.

Gubalowka is also good and close to the centre of town (if a little tight in places) There is a moden funicular that takes you to the top very quickly.

I found that the best place to go was Bialka (http://www.bialkatatrzanska.pl/ Sorry the site is only available in Polish) Slopes are nice and easy (Just right for me ) not too busy and well prepared, Good lifts and a nice couple of restaurants.

For hotels and B&B's in the area have a look here: http://www.bialka.tatrzanska.com/noclegi/index.html (sorry all in Polish again!).

If you don't fancy being out in the sticks then here are a couple of good quality hotels in Zakopane: http://www.zakopane-hotel-guide.com/find.php (it's in English this time!)

I used to go around end of January becauase the ski jumping world cup was on in Zakopane.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I have asked about prices for hotels on the last link but think I could get something for about about £20 - £30 a night.