JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is nowhere sacred?

Old 06 October 2005, 08:43 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

How can you be speeding on a track??? Last time I went, there were no speed limits on one.
Old 06 October 2005, 08:49 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

LOL, am i in a fourth dimension here?

It's saying "If you want to speed, do it on the track, not on the road"

Christ
Old 06 October 2005, 08:51 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Though surely it would be better placed on the roads, no on the actual track?
Old 06 October 2005, 08:54 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No, cos on the track it's reminding people not to drive as if they were still on the track on the way home.

It's me, isn't it?
Old 06 October 2005, 10:02 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
LOL, am i in a fourth dimension here?

It's saying "If you want to speed, do it on the track, not on the road"

Christ
Old 06 October 2005, 10:11 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Just what you want as you approach a right hand bend, a f**kin warning about speeding on the roads on your left hand side to divert your eyes from the track
Old 06 October 2005, 10:13 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Mark, have you EVER raced on a track..?
Old 06 October 2005, 10:22 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I must admit I didn't see the signs all day. I only spotted them when I flicked through the CD of the pics.

There are a few of these signs up at Coombe, all placed right in the line of the photographers lense. I didn't notice them when I was up there in September either.

The cynic in me can't help thinking that the State knows the snaps will be posted up on tinterweb, proliferating the message. I think Coombe should have their (otherwise affable) wrists slapped for allowing this encrochment into the private realm of motor enthusiasts and that the state are cvnts and should **** off
Old 06 October 2005, 10:25 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Very cynical, as you say. Whose website is it under the sign, it's not quite legible? Safecam.org.uk or something? They might be a pro-car group merely alerting you to the danger of leaving the track and driving as if you're still on it, something we've probably all been guilty of at some point....
Old 06 October 2005, 10:37 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Mark, have you EVER raced on a track..?
Err yes several why ??
Old 06 October 2005, 10:39 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What exactly do you LOOK at when you're hurtling round?? The ads on the side of the track..?
Old 06 October 2005, 10:41 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

It's the Avon and Somerset scamera partnership homepage

The irony is that every trackday I've ever instructed on, we've always told the visitors the same thing. It's a good message and a perfectly reasonable one. It just says a lot about public opnion that a message which makes perfect sense is seen as being Big Brother and somehow unreasonable when it's presented by a Scamera partnership...

SB
Old 06 October 2005, 10:51 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

What exactly do you LOOK at when you're hurtling round?? The ads on the side of the track..?
Not at all, usually where I am going !!

Was only mearly stating it could cause distraction being a big f**kin bright yellow sign about speeding on the roads, like we don't get the message every time we get in our cars and drive anywhere.
Old 06 October 2005, 10:53 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Must admit, you could pay me a million pounds to name ANY ad on the trackside and i'd probably fail, neon orange or otherwise!!
Old 06 October 2005, 10:55 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Must admit, you could pay me a million pounds to name ANY ad on the trackside and i'd probably fail, neon orange or otherwise!!
Your probably right, I was commenting on a photo and not that I had seen it trackside while driving, as you say would I probably not of even noticed it !!
Old 06 October 2005, 11:09 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
It's the Avon and Somerset scamera partnership homepage

The irony is that every trackday I've ever instructed on, we've always told the visitors the same thing. It's a good message and a perfectly reasonable one. It just says a lot about public opnion that a message which makes perfect sense is seen as being Big Brother and somehow unreasonable when it's presented by a Scamera partnership...

SB
A different take which I respect. Personally, I go to the track to escape the ever watchful eye of BB and find it intrusive that their wagging finger adornes the hallowed armco.
Old 06 October 2005, 11:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I always found it helped a great deal to exclude that sort of thing and concentrate on braking and gettiing the line right on the approach to the corner. Its a bit like not bothering to look at the nice scenery as well.

By the time you have also made sure that you know where the other cars are, especially during a race, then I found little time for bothering with trackside signs. Also had to see if there were any flag signals or any incidents of course.

Scooby-Mark, do you think that flag signals and other cars should be abolished during a race in case you get distracted?

That particular sign is very sensible I think to try to stop people from continuing the track day on the public roads. Castle Combe is having a hard enough time as it is to counter the locals who want to shut it down without giving them extra ammunition from drivers being stupid when they leave the track.

Les
Old 06 October 2005, 11:43 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Scooby-Mark, do you think that flag signals and other cars should be abolished during a race in case you get distracted?
Now your just being silly, how does a track side advert compare to Marshalls and other cars, those are the things you should be looking for when on a track.

Originally Posted by Leslie
That particular sign is very sensible I think to try to stop people from continuing the track day on the public roads. Castle Combe is having a hard enough time as it is to counter the locals who want to shut it down without giving them extra ammunition from drivers being stupid when they leave the track.

Les
Did I say it wasn't a sensible message ?? i just don't see why they have to plaster it around a track, when the drivers are concentrating on driving, surley the message is better put across at the exit of the grounds before you hit the public roads ?? In the pits or car parks where drivers have to time to read such messages ?? That was my point
Old 06 October 2005, 12:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

My point in this thread is that when I go to a track with my mates for a blast in an entirely lawfull setting I don't want this poxy government advising me on what I should and should not be doing. For goodness sake, It may well be a "sensible" message but that really doesn't interest me. It'd be "sensible" to have your motor chipped and tracked and electronically restricted according to the zone you're in, wouldn't it? I've gone to Coombe to drive at 9/10ths with other like minded people - had a few professional snaps taken - and who's lurking in the background? Some preachy, nannying quango doing it's best to find it's way into my subconcious. It's like your mum being at the school disco!
Old 06 October 2005, 12:56 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I think you're over-reacting. You might not need reminders about what the public roads outside a track are/are not, but in my experience, many people do. I don't think this sort of advertising is as sinister as you're attempting to portray.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:06 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I think you're over-reacting. You might not need reminders about what the public roads outside a track are/are not, but in my experience, many people do. I don't think this sort of advertising is as sinister as you're attempting to portray.
I agree Tel that it's not all that sinister and perhaps I am over reacting slightly, but for me it's symptomatic of a bigger issue, namely the state interfearing in almost every aspect of our lives. Do we really want the Scamera partnership telling us what to do at a race track? I'm afraid I find it rather depressing.

Last edited by JTaylor; 06 October 2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:30 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

How did the track days go anyway?
Old 06 October 2005, 02:31 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Yeah, and did you 'accidentally' slow down for the camera
Old 06 October 2005, 02:44 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
My point in this thread is that when I go to a track with my mates for a blast in an entirely lawfull setting I don't want this poxy government advising me on what I should and should not be doing. For goodness sake, It may well be a "sensible" message but that really doesn't interest me. It'd be "sensible" to have your motor chipped and tracked and electronically restricted according to the zone you're in, wouldn't it? I've gone to Coombe to drive at 9/10ths with other like minded people - had a few professional snaps taken - and who's lurking in the background? Some preachy, nannying quango doing it's best to find it's way into my subconcious. It's like your mum being at the school disco!
Well said - I agree wholeheartedly with this post.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
How did the track days go anyway?
Very well thanks Ed. Finally got Camp sorted after a number of hairy moments experimenting with entry speed and not being intimidated by the wall on the outside. Loosing or gaining a lot of time into quarry - you really have to be patient in terms of staying off the power until you're certain you're gunna clip the apex. Once honed in on it power needs to be shovelled on as quickly as the car allows. I was doing 1.23s yesterday, but as Dave (de Costa) prooved, the car's capable of at least 1.21s. It'd be nice to think I could get my times down to 1.22 or 1.21 next season. But of course it's nothing to do with the lap times .
Old 06 October 2005, 06:35 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

I will check my video to see what times I was getting, IIRC it was 1.18 or 1.19 but bear in mind that was with 6 pot brakes, suspension, arb, front and rear strut braces and a quickrack

Hoping to be back on track early next spring with something special...

Goingt o buckmore park on weds next week 80mph prokarts, should be fun!
Old 06 October 2005, 06:43 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

Edcase

So you have done a 1,18 around combe,was this in your scoob.as if it was then that was in full road trim.

It would also win a few rounds of the castle combe saloon cup championship.

So when did you get so fast cos the last time i saw you there you did not know what side of the track to be on,and was doing 1,35 laps.

LOL
Old 06 October 2005, 07:05 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PAS
Edcase

So you have done a 1,18 around combe,was this in your scoob.as if it was then that was in full road trim.

It would also win a few rounds of the castle combe saloon cup championship.

So when did you get so fast cos the last time i saw you there you did not know what side of the track to be on,and was doing 1,35 laps.

LOL
Yeah good one Paul...you managing to keep yours out the armco nowadays then?

Like I just said, I don't remember the time, I will turn out the video if I get a chance and check, it's been a long time. Either way, I ain't rising to the bait.
Old 06 October 2005, 07:10 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

just the one armco visit to date.

not trying to bait you i just dont think you will be anywhere near that time,and if you are you should be racing as you would beat terry who does race there.

hope you are well mate.

Quick Reply: Is nowhere sacred?