Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody here work for BAE systems?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 02:54 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody here work for BAE systems?

Basically looking for a contact in the company, re-trying to get an apprenticeship.
Old 03 October 2005, 02:59 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Which office as there are quite a few, and what sort of field do you want work in?

Can't help really, but my missus used to do their computer support so she knows a name or two but depends where and what you want to do.
Old 03 October 2005, 03:21 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Basically I went to Warton(the aircraft side) for a systems engineering taster week a couple of months ago thanks to my school being sponsored by them.

When I got there I was amazed by the way the company works, runs itself and the opportunities available.

However the big snag is that I live in Plymouth and am not to keen on moving at the moment. However there is a base in Plymouth (Electronics and Integrated systems) So basically I want to know if Plymouth are taking on apprenticeships(heard a rumour that the Plymouth site may be on its way out), if I do an apprenticeship in Plymouth can I transfer to another area/part of the country whilst in or after completing the apprenticeship. And finally I would like to try and somehow get into the Plymouth site to see if I would actually like to work there and if they are doing the types of things I enjoy.

I would like to go into engineering, obviously this is a bit vague as I know there are so many areas but how do you know which is best suited to you?

I don't see myself as an electrical engineer i.e. playing with circuit boards etc. However I have always been into playing with and working on RC Helicopter cars etc so this leads me to think I would be more suited to systems/integrated engineering?
Old 03 October 2005, 03:54 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

So, working for a eco-unfriendly weapon manufacturer doesn't bother you then?

Good, me neither...

You're best bet might be Portsmouth, or perhaps the Bristol / Filton side of things. There are too many divisions and opportunities to list, so PM or email me if you want more info.

Most of the manufacturing takes places up North, Air stuff, Typhoon, Tornado etc. If you're the Naval aspects of engineering, then as I say Postmouth isn't too bad, or Barrow for the nuclear boat construction. Waterlooville produce heavyweight torpedoes and the like, so there's a fir bit of software engineering etc.
Old 03 October 2005, 04:04 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

and just to add...

Re-reading your post; Check out the official web page, that has all of the sites on, although recruitment will be driven through a major site, in your case probably Farnborough or Warton.

I wouldn't worry about what you want to do eventually, (I still don't) once you're in the door it gets a lot easier to figure out. Plus there are so many weird and wonderful (mostly!) things to get into.

I started off in technical capability (software) working Up North (very grim) on the Vanguard Class boats. Thankfully I have moved down south (comparitively!) and concentrate on planes now... Not as much fun as boats, although they go a bit quicker
Old 03 October 2005, 04:33 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Can't help you myself as my missus worked at the Leicester site so I doubt any of the people there would be of any use

Have you tried a speculative application to the site itself or search for contact names on their website for the site you are interested in?
Old 03 October 2005, 05:04 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Tried looking at BAE's website

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2005, 07:10 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by farmer1
Anybody here work for BAE systems?
Can we just correct this please?...

Public Service Announcement:

People dont "work for" BAE Systems, people "attend" BAE Systems.

Thank you.

John.
Old 03 October 2005, 09:28 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Can we just correct this please?...

Public Service Announcement:

People dont "work for" BAE Systems, people "attend" BAE Systems.

Thank you.

John.
Yeah I did notice that when I went up there.

I have tried looking on their website, ideal design if you want to apply now online.

Was just trying to see if I could find myself a contact to get into/have a talk with someone from the Plymouth side of things.

Interestingly enough, as I said earlier my school is sponsored by BAE systems which is how I found out about the taster course, they were thrilled to bits when I got onto the course and made a point of noting it. However when I came back and said yeah I really liked the look of the place..... have you got a contact for the Plymouth side all they did was go to the website and pull off the phone number.

Will ask another teacher in school tomorrow see if I can muster something if not I will give them a call.

Another point made to me was that I may be "over qualified for the apprenticeship scheme" as it says its designed for people with 3-5 GCSEs, however I got 3A*s 3As 2Bs C D

And am predicted for A level: Maths A Physics C ICT B

But I don't want to go direct to universatity, I want to get into a firm and then once I have completed my apprenticeship do an "on the job" degree or charter

What to do

Ian
Old 03 October 2005, 09:30 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

So, working for a eco-unfriendly weapon manufacturer doesn't bother you then?
Certainly not, just my type of thing.
Old 04 October 2005, 05:59 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I know of several instances whereby the apprentices etc (i.e. those who didn't go to uni) are in exactly the same position as those who did. So it won't make a great deal of difference, aside form the fact that you won't be in £000's of debt

There are loads of people who have 1 or 2 days off per week for BSc's MSc's etc, so at least you know you still have options.

There was a load of new apprentices having the grand tour today at Warton actually. (noisy b*stards)
Old 04 October 2005, 07:42 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Do BAE still sponsor the Systems Engineering course at Loughborough Uni?

There were a lot of apprentices that had taken a place on to that when I was there.

John.
Old 05 October 2005, 05:44 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Do BAE still sponsor the Systems Engineering course at Loughborough Uni?

There were a lot of apprentices that had taken a place on to that when I was there.

John.
Yes they do, thats what the course I went on was promoting, however you don't get your money until after the first year I believe and then you do your year in industry after the second year.

Glad to know I can still get to the same position from the apprenticeship in practice aswell as theoretically. Its just getting my foot through the door which is the hard part especially living in Plymouth.
Old 05 October 2005, 07:47 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

The sponsorhip deal used to be £1200/year when you were at uni, with a (paid) year out after the second year. Can't say whether or not that's still the case though.

BTW, if you're looking for a technical type course, the Systems Engineering course probably won't be for you (unless it's changed drastically).

That's all I'll say about it here. PM me if you'd like me to go into more detail.

John.