Ebay doing my head in.

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2005, 09:25 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay doing my head in.

I am selling my phone on ebay.
Take a look at the scams i am getting daily.
Ebay is going down hill fast.

Hello seller,
I am Pedro Oliveira, I saw your item on this site i would love to buy
it for my cousin who is on exucution so i would want to buy it for
her.You would ship the item via ROYAL MAIL FIRST CLASS RECORDED
I am shipping the item to Nigeria (23402). I would give u an offer of
£700 if you agree to sell it for me. I would pay via WESTERN UNION.COM
transfer not scammed BIDPAY. I will give the MTCN# their you would go
to WESTERN UNION.com to confirm it. I would then give you th secret qustionand answer after you have contacted them for confirmtion. I am notscamming u, All i need is your full name, address, state, city,
zipcode,country so that i can send you the MTCN number
Regards
Pedro Oliveira
Waiting for your prompt reply

Hello seller, I would like to buy your phone (Sony Ericsson P910i) for £300.00 as a birthday gift for a step sister down in Nigeria,i would be paying by Postal Order via Bidpay,if you are okay with this,please get back to me with your name and address for me to make the payment because i want this phone to be ship to her as soon as possible.
Thanks

Hello seller, am a doctor ,and also a citizen of chicago, yesterday when i was chatting with my grandson who his father was posted to nigeria is working with the shell petrolum company as the managing director, in nigeria, i promise to give him a gift (phone) . So I will like to know what you are asking for your phone , I will pay for it through bidpay since it is faster and get's approved in a maximum period of hours seller .so i will want you to advise the name and physical address where the payment will be sent to and a valid email address for confirmation of payment to be sent. But before then,I'll like to know how new this item is and, how soon can it be ready for shipment,cos i will want it to get to him fast? . expecting your reply. and can i make you an offer for the phone if you want , so the phone will get to him fast"put your e-mail id on this reply.

Hello,
I would like to make a bulk purchase of your item...
I plan open a store in nigeria...
plz let me know the price of 50 pcs including postage to nigeria...
plz as soon as you agree to sell i will contact my client in the U.K so he can arrange for the payment to you and as soon as founds is cleard my item will be ship..
I look forward.

Hello seller, Am willing to purchase your item , as the Best
Products and will be ready to make the immedaite payment of this item
through (Bidpay Fast Money Delivery),so i want you to end the auction for
me.I will be shipping the item to my Son , who will be celebrating Her birthday,so i will handle the shipping with my FedEx account ,which i will send the FedEx agent to come and pick it up As soon as you recieve the approval confirmation from Bidpay,so get back to me with your name,full contact address with , so that i can make payment fast through my Bidpay
Account... Best regards
Old 22 September 2005, 09:32 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

They are not even convincing scams - bloody foreigners

You know for a fact if there is a story in the question - it's a load of ....

Genuine buyers just say, 'How much to end early,' 'are you up for offers', etc. None of this my brother is living on a bowl of rice a week and I need to send him a £500 item so he can survive crap.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 22 September 2005, 09:36 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
They are not even convincing scams - bloody foreigners

You know for a fact if there is a story in the question - it's a load of ....

Genuine buyers just say, 'How much to end early,' 'are you up for offers', etc. None of this my brother is living on a bowl of rice a week and I need to send him a £500 item so he can survive crap.

Good luck with the sale.
It does make you wonder how many of the millions on ebay actually fall for them.

I got to say i do use ebay a fair bit and have been completely happy so far.

Thanks
Old 22 September 2005, 09:36 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

mmm, surely if you live in nigeria you would want the £300 to live on rather than being able to phone someone on a £300 pound phone.
Old 22 September 2005, 09:53 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Remind me how the Western Union scam works. They somehow manage to get back the money that they send you??

Or is it that they just do not bother sending it in the first place?
Old 22 September 2005, 10:08 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

fecking pi55 taking ***** if you ask me...

oh? you wasn't asking me...

be alert, your country needs lerts... haw haw haw

good luck
Old 22 September 2005, 10:21 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

The fact that the english and grammar are so appalling is a give away anway but Im sure there must be some unsuspecting people who fall for it else why would they bother?

Gary
Old 22 September 2005, 10:24 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

the english and grammar, is not so much of a give away, have you ever seen a chavesque CV??
Old 22 September 2005, 10:39 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Remind me how the Western Union scam works. They somehow manage to get back the money that they send you??

Or is it that they just do not bother sending it in the first place?
Not sure how it works but i bet they get a couple a week fall for it.Nice little earner really.
Fookin bastads
Old 22 September 2005, 11:54 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

With the WU scam there are two variations - 1. they say they have sent you the money as a WU cash transfer, and give you the WU reference number for it and say it will be ready to collect in a couple of days ( which is BS as cash transfers are instant ) - or, they say they have sent a WU money order, and give you the reference number for that - often if you check the number on the WU website it will show up as being 'in the post' - BUT they send one to their mate in the UK, and not the payment to you.

Then they say 'send the phone straight away as its for a present etc...' dopey seller sends the phone ( assuming the money is actually on the way ) then finds out the payment never arrives.

Easy way to put them off is say you'll only send the phone when you have the payment, not before - beware though as they also send out fake WU money orders, and the seller only finds out its a fake once they try and cash it in.

Been reading a book about worldwide fraud recently, and it has a lot about Nigerians in there - they actually have fraud schools where they teach people how to commit diffeerent types of fraud. The police reckon 1% of people fall for these cons, which as the scammers send out millions and millions of emails, letters, faxes etc... means they clear a hell of a lot of money.

There have also been a few cases where disgruntled victims have gone over to Nigeria to try and track down the scammers and get their money back - most ended up vanishing or dead in the street !
Old 22 September 2005, 12:09 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Mike

Does make you wonder about some people...
Old 22 September 2005, 12:34 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Theres a website somewhere which is all about taking the p*ss out of them - Basically telling them you are happy to do the deal - Making them call you on a UK mobile with a cheap sim in and generally p*ssing them around. Cant remember what its called like but sounds like a laugh!!!
Old 22 September 2005, 12:40 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
Theres a website somewhere which is all about taking the p*ss out of them - Basically telling them you are happy to do the deal - Making them call you on a UK mobile with a cheap sim in and generally p*ssing them around. Cant remember what its called like but sounds like a laugh!!!
Sounds like fun to me
Old 22 September 2005, 01:02 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

A lot of stupid people must get taken in by these scams, otherwise they'd have dried up by now!

One of my workmates has clearly been taken in by one - hes currently in Nigera getting married to a Nigeran girl he met online..... when he told me a few weeks ago I thought he was joking, but someone else from work told me thats its for real!
Old 22 September 2005, 01:33 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
http://www.419eater.com/
Old 22 September 2005, 04:18 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Best plan whenever you get emails, letters etc... that you know are from scammers is just to delete them - dont even bother answering.

People who try and wind up the scammers are asking for trouble - these arent individuals doing this from a PC in Nigeria for a laugh - it is is serious organised crime ( the Nigerians are some of the most ruthless people out there, life to them is very cheap, and as nearly all of them exist on false details, they arent too worried about the law or any comebacks ), and they'll have people in your local area who will quite happily come around and see you, so its not worth the risk.
Old 22 September 2005, 07:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I've just been charged three times by Ebay for listing, then re-listing twice because of these plonkers. Whatever you do, don't put a "buy it now" price on your phone. They bid that price , effectively closing the auction then you're left with no sale and listing fees to pay. I've tried emailing ebay about it but ,,,yes you've guessed, no joy. I am begining to wonder if these scammers are in the employ of ebay? Nice little money spinner for them.
Old 22 September 2005, 07:56 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Erm, if you report a none payer, iirc, you can relist at no cost to yourself. Never had to do it, although it looks like I may need to for one of my recent items.
Old 22 September 2005, 08:00 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine (first time ebayer) was ripped off by a foreign buyer.
Myself the last thing i bid on (but lost) i got three *fake* second chance offers,one of them very convincing.It was only the good folks of scoobynet that savved me getting conned.

My rules re Ebay are.........
I only sell or buy in the UK,over £100 its a cheque,and over £200 i will only buy cash on collection.
Old 22 September 2005, 08:07 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Thats wot i say to Nigerian Ebayers.
Old 22 September 2005, 09:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Old 22 September 2005, 10:34 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Luminous..... That's what I did and the barstewards did it AGAIN !!!!
Yve