Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have USwitched??

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 09:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Have USwitched??

I've just switched from British Gas and Southern Electric ......... to Scottish Power for both.

Saving is predicted to be £200 a year!!

Even MORE now that British Gas are putting their prices up AGAIN by 14.5%!!

Do yourselves a favour ............... tell British Gas to go F*** themselves!!

I can't believe that, due to apathy, I have wasted so much money

But, at least I have acted now!!

Pete
Old 12 September 2005, 09:43 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's topsy-turvy really. Because we are in Scotland, Scottish Power are NOT competitive. Given you are not in Scotland, Scottish Power are cheaper.
Old 12 September 2005, 09:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but, yeah, but.... British Gas are now offering a price freeze till 2007

Yeah, that sounds like a good deal...they raise the prices, then offer a price freeze, AND charge you a little extra to have the piece of mind of a price freeze

Pete, it is rare, but on this issue - we are in agreement
Old 12 September 2005, 10:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It was simple, got my old bills out - inputted the details of usage/cost - and got taken through the whole procedure by Uswitch.com

Took about 20minutes ...................... £200 a year richer for 20minutes of effort?? Sounds good to me I only saw that kind of return when I was a Giggalo

Go on .................... DO IT!!!!!

Pete
Old 12 September 2005, 10:23 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Did it 3 years ago....where you been?
Old 12 September 2005, 10:23 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

I got offered a good deal the other day to change from N-Power to British Gas. 80 odd quid straight off the bill. Very pushy young lad but I had guests so kept telling him to come back another time. Will it be cheaper though? The guy was very intent on me signing there and then so that made me more intent on leaving for the time being (but if you sign now you'll save soooooo much over the winter months )
Old 12 September 2005, 10:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Pete, I used it, switched from Scottish Gas to Powergen and the bills are internet only and incomprehensible. They also soon put their prices up as well.
Old 12 September 2005, 10:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

N-Power was the cheapest for me ................... BUT ................... their customer services is a shambles (allegedly!)

So, went for Scottish Power who have a better reputation - but, costs slightly more.

Pete
Old 12 September 2005, 11:07 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
N-Power was the cheapest for me ................... BUT ................... their customer services is a shambles (allegedly!)

So, went for Scottish Power who have a better reputation - but, costs slightly more.

Pete
Must agree with you on the customer sevice with N-Power. Another reason for possibly moving.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:27 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

Pete
nothing 'allegedly' about it, i used uswitch a couple of years back and after no end of troubles with npower, (they are seriously useless) i did some research and switched to scottish power.

now thats how a large organisation should be run!
Old 13 September 2005, 09:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Luminous
Yeah, but, yeah, but.... British Gas are now offering a price freeze till 2007
I thought it was 2010? - Makes a far better deal, I'm surprised Pete isn't plugging this one!
Old 13 September 2005, 11:07 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

We switched from seeboard to scottish power, as they seemed cheap, in 9 months we had 11 price increase notices sometimes 2 a week !!!. have now switched to southern, as when compared they were cheaper than waht scottish power were charging US. which differed to their published new customer prices.

Apparently most of them have tricks like this, the only way to stay ontop of the game is constantly change suppliers.
Old 13 September 2005, 12:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Used uSwitch to arrange Powergen for the new house last October. I prefer to pay bills in cash as they arrive, leaving all my money in my mortgage as long as possible. I opted to have a dual fuel account with a single bill, quarterly, pay on receipt. We got our first bill in May, and it was for gas only, estimated, even though the guy read it two weeks prior. We then got another gas bill in June. We got our first electricity bill on July 11th for £181, and another on July 12th for £172. On August 10th we got our first combined dual fuel bill, all estimated (elec way over/gas a little under) for £270. I have now switched to BG with dual fuel saving £50 on elec/£13 gas, paperless billing saving £13 and DD another £13. The actual services cost about the same as Powergen, but the bonus discounts save me quite a lot. I'd have signed up with anyone, even at a loss to get away from that shower of $h!te at Powergen.
Old 13 September 2005, 01:24 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Been with Scottish Power for a few years now. Currently on a capped rate until some time in 2006.
I suspect all these companies are all a bit useless.

When I signed up (outside Sainsbury's) I was shown a relatively old price list (3 months old) and the date of the price list quoted was included on the application form, stating that is what I would pay. I checked later that day and sure enough the price currently advertised on the internet was more expensive, so was expecting a problem from day one !

When the paperwork came I wasn't disappointed because I was on the current price so I phoned up and complained. "Oh" came the reply "we don't keep the original paperwork so can't confirm it - you will need to photocopy the application form and write in" WTF - couldn't be bothered in the end. It would only have saved a few pence but it is the principle of the thing.

About a year later I had some paperwork from them advertising their capped rate. Eventually I phoned them up and signed up for it. About 3 months later I got a phone call asking would I be interested in their capped rate ? WTF again !! "I'm already on it ! - Reply "Oh no your not" - then it felt like a Christmas panto moment.

I told them exactly when I'd signed up - we have no record of that !!
So eventually got signed up again, for a different rate but it lasts longer, so swings and roundabouts.

Basically the only times I've had dealings with them they've been useless but the price is better than BG so I'll stick with them until they really p155 me off !
Old 13 September 2005, 01:38 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Uswitch would have saved us less than 50p / month so I stayed put with British Gas. Prices have been frozen until 2010 with BG - although there is a small premimum on the gas, the electric has gone down so net effect of zero increase.
Anyhow Mr Lewis, your saving is only a prediction - what happens when it doesn't happen (just like endowment policies not making what they were predicted)
Old 13 September 2005, 07:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Uswitch would have saved us less than 50p / month so I stayed put with British Gas. Prices have been frozen until 2010 with BG - although there is a small premimum on the gas, the electric has gone down so net effect of zero increase.
Anyhow Mr Lewis, your saving is only a prediction - what happens when it doesn't happen (just like endowment policies not making what they were predicted)
EH??

Calling planet Scoob_babe, Calling planet Scoob_babe, Calling planet Scoob_babe:-

You DO know that British Gas have announced a 14% increase, don't you?????

Pete
Old 13 September 2005, 09:24 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Last month I swapped from BG to EDF. A day later EDF put up their prices. Gone back to British Gas with the promise of a £96 saving and a month of free electricity. Things change daily its swings and roundabouts with all of them At least BG bills are comprehensible

Last edited by s70rjw; 13 September 2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 14 September 2005, 07:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its all a big con and PSL has fallen for it!

Les
Old 14 September 2005, 08:42 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Its all a big con and PSL has fallen for it!

Lesley
From the biggest woman on ScoobyNet ....... thats quite a statement!!

Pete
Old 15 September 2005, 08:40 PM
ChrisB

EH??

Calling planet Scoob_babe, Calling planet Scoob_babe, Calling planet Scoob_babe:-

You DO know that British Gas have announced a 14% increase, don't you?????

Pete
And when the rest of the market has to follow suit Pete? Have Scottish Power got a secret source of gas and electricity that means they can undercut the rest of the market by vast percentages?
Old 15 September 2005, 09:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Its all a big con

Les
Certainly is!

Chip
Old 15 September 2005, 09:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Certainly is!

Chip
Pair of muppets

British Gas and the banks LOVE people like you ....... you don't believe that its worth swapping, ever!! And get stitched right up .. thats fine by me, more money for my wallet (you don't want it, I'll have it!!)

Pete
Old 15 September 2005, 11:52 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Chip
Certainly is!

Chip
Is too...

Old 16 September 2005, 08:30 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

NOT!!

Pete
Old 16 September 2005, 12:38 PM
ChrisB

I still await your answer to my question in post 20 Pete
Old 16 September 2005, 12:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
And when the rest of the market has to follow suit Pete? Have Scottish Power got a secret source of gas and electricity that means they can undercut the rest of the market by vast percentages?
Maybe they have much lower running costs??

Have you ANY idea how many people British Gas employ? How many shift paperwork? What their obligations are?

The costs that a slimline ScottishPower doesn't have??

In the same way TESCO can, and do, sell a loaf of bread for 15p .... whereas my local shop wants 85p!!!

Is that simplistic enough for you to grasp? I am aware that I can talk way above most peoples intellect ...... so, I tried my best to make it easy

Pete
Old 16 September 2005, 02:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Maybe they have much lower running costs??

Have you ANY idea how many people British Gas employ? How many shift paperwork? What their obligations are?

The costs that a slimline ScottishPower doesn't have??

In the same way TESCO can, and do, sell a loaf of bread for 15p .... whereas my local shop wants 85p!!!

Is that simplistic enough for you to grasp? I am aware that I can talk way above most peoples intellect ...... so, I tried my best to make it easy

Pete
So by saving a few pennies that someone of your alledged vast wealth can easily afford you are in effect forcing companies to cut their costs by making their hardworking employees redundant.

Shame on you, you capitalist!
Old 16 September 2005, 05:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete
Lewis, youve shown your true colours here. Paying 15p for a loaf of bread that tastes of nothing and to eat is like chewing toffee.

Chip
Old 16 September 2005, 06:14 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

You're getting old Pete and not reading what was typed!
It simply wasn't worth the switch and you don't know how much power/gas we use although I'd say you certainly are an exporter of hot gas
And yes, for the customer service that we have had from BG in relation to another supplier, I'd say <50p month was worth it!!!
Old 16 September 2005, 07:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

50p a month!!!

Looks like British Gas has hoodwinked you good and proper!!

1million British Gas customers left them in the last 3 months ........... thats some loss!!

But, maybe THEY are ALL wrong and you are right!?

Pete

Quick Reply: Have USwitched??