Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2005, 04:18 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MFI & Kitchen problem!

Hi Guys/Gals,

Need a bit of advice...

Ive bought a Kitchen from MFI, including 2 solid Walnut worktops ...after fitting them we noticed a colour variation ...& when we oiled them as part of the waterproofing procedure the variation became even more apparent.

Ive contacted them & even had the Store manager (reluctantly) come out to take a look ...once he saw the problem he immediatley agreed to replace one work top

Our gripe is can we expect MFI to refit the worktop (even though they didnt originally fit it)? or even reimburse us to have it fitted ...as it's a bit of a biatch due to the gas hob needing to be refitted

Am i being unreasonable? as so far they have refused point blank ...& im severley tempted to tell them to take the whole bloody kitchen back & shove it!!!
Old 30 August 2005, 04:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Chances are tellin them to come and uninstall it all and take it away putting your kitchen back to how it was before they arrived should get them jumping. contact the credit car d company if thats how you paid and ask for them to claim the money back as your not happy with the supplied product and dont want it..... Should get them jumping up and down a bit I should imagine....

Nothing ever goes straight forward though does it when stuff like this happens. for the price they charge too you think theyd get it right
Old 30 August 2005, 04:24 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

I think they should refit for you as its there fault. Id go back and demand them to do something about it. why should you have to pay up again
Old 30 August 2005, 04:52 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

They won't stand for re-fitting costs. All they will say is that you should've brought it to their attention before fitting them. Plus would you really want some fitters from MFI coming and making a total bollocks of your kitchen ? It's like complaining about the food in a restaurant, and the chef gobbing on your dinner !
It might be a good idea to get both worktops changed, preferably for ones from the same batch so you can ensure a good colour match, but I reckon you'll have to bite the bullet on the labour costs.
Old 30 August 2005, 05:07 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

I think your a bit out of order expecting them to fit the top to be honest.

As you stated you could see the colour variation when you recieved the product and should have compained then.

I would have thought the best way to handle it is to get them to fit it (i've never seen any problems with their fitting service) at a reduced rate or cost price. Maybe sy they could do it at a time to suit them in next few weeks or when there guys finish another job early?

Don't want to sound harsh but should never have fitted the top if not entirely happy.

chop
Old 30 August 2005, 05:42 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Being a 'natural' material we were told & indeed expected a variation ...but also told that once oiled (which is normally done 'after' fitting) that they would even up ...what they failed to tell us, was that they meant between the blocks within a worktop!
Old 30 August 2005, 05:55 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Take a photo. Im interested to see what it is thats clearly ruining your life at the moment.

Wood is natural, so why not have a little difference. Even the Queen when she visits isnt going to recoil in horror.

Love the flaws man. Love the flaws!

Anyway. I do think MFI should be liable for the refit. If they'd sent you a dodgy appliance it would be changed. Ask to speak to the area manager.
Old 30 August 2005, 06:00 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

MFI selling solid walnut tops,they must be moving up in the world then.I thought they only sold veneered wood or walnut "effect".
As for fitting it,i guess if you've done it once then at least you know how to do it.

Any pics?
Old 30 August 2005, 06:14 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Kitchens are a BAD subject.

Currently having ongoing issues with B&Q and involving, delayed delivery of worktops, then constant damaged deliveries, then them telling me they couldn't send in their fitters but if I got someone in they would re-imburse me plus a goodwill gesture (my original fitters couldn't wait around for the 10 - 12 weeks it took to eventually get everything supplied undamaged).

Now they are going back on their word an refusing to pay all my costs and offering a pathetic goodwill gesture - don't want to go into the finer detail as I have been advised I'll probably need to go legal.

Den
Old 30 August 2005, 08:54 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

All sorted

Its amazing what the words 'trading standards' can have!

They're going to replace the offending worktop ...although having a look at their display, im not too sure which worktop should be replaced- the Mahoganey one ...or the Pine one! (there really was that much difference!) ...& they've also agreed to meet me half way with regard to fitting costs ...but seeing as that was a figure i had plucked from thin air ...& doubled it, i cant really complain!

P.S I didnt believe that they did 'real' wood either! ...but get your missus to drag you in there & have a look!

P.P.S & If you do go down the MFI route & purchase a kitchen ...DONT use their fitters @ £1200 a pop (MFI use my 'thin air & double it' tactic) ...& dont buy their appliances either ...use the power of t'internet!
Old 30 August 2005, 09:56 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Ditto the message about using the internet to source your built in kitchen appliances. I saved a good few hundred of 'your English pounds' over the price quoted by B&Q - also getting higher spec &/or newer models at the same time.

Den
Old 30 August 2005, 10:18 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

If you shop at Tesco, you can now exchange your Clubcard tokens for Deals tokens at 4x face value, which you can spend at MFI.
Old 30 August 2005, 10:20 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

hey guys if u got a property business open a trade account with the mfi trade company howdens or hewdens

u get from 35 to 50% aff , we did anyway for all the stuff we ever needed it in the past