Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HADECS

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2005, 12:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Question HADECS

what exactly is it (Highways Agency Digital Enforcement Camera System )???

This is referring to the M42s traffic managment system similar to the M25, literature given by the highways agency says speed limits will be enforced by using HADECS.

What are they, what do they look like??? (pics would be great).

And more importantly how do they operate?

Radar triggering two timed photos? induction loops? Number plate recognition measuring average speed between two cameras? Or some other new fangled method?

Don't say a gantry bridge with white marker lines - I've seen them, but looked very carefully at the bridges for some sort of imaging device but found nothing....but there are shed loads of CCTV type cameras on the hard shoulder...is that them?

The system used on the M25 appears to be quite different as the cameras are easily identifyable on the back of the gantries, whareas nothing is on the M42 gantries except the illuminated signs.

Google seems somewhat useless on this so far
Old 24 May 2005, 12:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Google seems somewhat useless on this so far
What did you put in?? I put in "Highways Agency Digital Enforcement Camera System" and below is the first hit.

Originally Posted by Google
Frequently Asked Questions, M42 Junctions 3a to 7 Active Traffic ...... ATM will be using the latest development in camera enforcement technology - the Highways Agency Digital Enforcement Camera System (HADECS). ...
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/pro...iversions/faq/ - 17k - 22 May
There are loads of others, but essentially its SPECS
Old 24 May 2005, 12:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I've already read that...It's as vague as ever...I want exact detailed technical explaination of its operation, not the 4year old kiddies explaination

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 May 2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 24 May 2005, 12:27 PM
ChrisB

I've pondered the same question during my recent tootles along the M42. I wondered if the cameras haven't been put up yet?

The presence of the marker lines under the gantries could be a red herring.

The hard shoulder cameras don't seem to have any IR illuminators, so I wonder how they would work at night? One camera for all three lanes would be an impressive upgrade over SPECS.
Old 24 May 2005, 12:31 PM
ChrisB

Some of the pictures here claim the cameras are CCTV and the road markings are for corroboration of camera pictures.
Old 24 May 2005, 12:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I saw that too, but was not sure if the CCTV is for monitoring usage on the hard shoulder and refuge bays?

So at a guess time distance measured using CCTV and Number plate recognition, interesting. I wonder why there is no need for the "gatling gun" style Infrared lights as used on the SPECs cameras (essentially CCTV with night vision).
Old 25 May 2005, 02:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Nobody knows for sure then?

Perhaps the lack of information is intentional, so that the public are unware of its operation?

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2005, 02:50 PM
ChrisB

I drove the M42 from J9 (A446 / Belfry) down to 3A (and return yesterday) again yesterday.

The 50 limit has gone (for now) but slow traffic on the return leg meant I managed to have a good look at some of the gantries.

Around J6 (A45) / J7 (M6N) / J7a (M6S), some of the gantries have now got extra cameras. They are forwarded facing and seem to have IR illuminators attached to them. They only just peer over some of the direction signs on the Northbound side near to J7.

Further down, I notice a good number of the gantries now have CCTV type cameras facing backwards. They are semi-hidden in the latice framework of the gantry. I could only see two cameras though and they seemed to cover the inside two lanes from the mounting angle. They mainly seem to be on the gantries that have the large black matrix information boards mounted above the framework.

I have some pictures on my mobile - not sure if they are any good til I get them on my PC.

So why the GATSO-esq corroboration markings on the road? Red herrings to try to fool drivers? The markings are just after each gantry (like the M25).