Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shopping in Southampton

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 03:21 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping in Southampton

Is it any good? seen a car down there and its a good 3hours away, misses wants to go shopping on saturday and look at this car sunday... but my brain wave is go shopping in southampton and have a look at the car whilst we are there. gives me sunday to play football and chill out still rather than waste a whole weekend. just dont want to get there and its cr@p so the misses whines at me all day

any big-ish shopping centres.? or anywhere thats near by will do I suppose.... high street type thing?

thanks
Old 17 May 2005, 03:43 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

It's pretty good but it's no London, Birmingham or Leeds. Everything is centred about the High Street (Above and Below Bargate) and it's 90% pedestrianised so walking around is quite pleasant. It's certainly cleaner than the cities mentioned above and less threatening.

All in all it's a really nice city and it's only 2 minutes to the docks if that's what floats your boat

I should know, I lived there for 34 years before moving to Pontefract. I now do a three hour run each way to Southampton every sunday.
Old 17 May 2005, 03:45 PM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Is it any good? seen a car down there and its a good 3hours away, misses wants to go shopping on saturday and look at this car sunday... but my brain wave is go shopping in southampton and have a look at the car whilst we are there. gives me sunday to play football and chill out still rather than waste a whole weekend. just dont want to get there and its cr@p so the misses whines at me all day

any big-ish shopping centres.? or anywhere thats near by will do I suppose.... high street type thing?

thanks
In answer to your question, Yes there is 3 big shopping centres in Southampton, West Quay being the biggest new addition down there, it has 4 levels of new shops, do a google on West Quay Shopping.

There is also a big high street, marlands shopping centre, and a few other places, much better than portsmouth IMHO. And i am a pompey boy through and through even though i am not really down South much anymore, when i go to our offices in Southampton always have lunch in West Quay and most the time linger outside La Senza seeing what comes out
Old 17 May 2005, 03:48 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

When did you move out J2S must have been a few years ago! Soton has had a big new shopping mall built with John lewis and all the usual suspects. Pretty much the same as any large town shopping centre, but should keep the wife happy.
Old 17 May 2005, 03:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

cool. looks like I could talk the misses into shopping for clothes and a car on saturday then

thanks for the help

jap2scrap... 3 hours from pontefract? your avin a laugh surely??? I could maybe do it in 3hours if the traffic was light from Grantham (1 hours south on the A1 from you) which way do you go? do you avoid the M25?
Old 17 May 2005, 03:51 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Last year.. I stand by what I said though. It's not the biggest but it is one of the cleanest and least threatening. I could've mentioned West Quay, The Marlands and *ahem* The Bargate Centre specifically but you can hardly miss them if you're in the High Street can you?
Old 17 May 2005, 03:53 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

cool. looks like I could talk the misses into shopping for clothes and a car on saturday then

thanks for the help

jap2scrap... 3 hours from pontefract? your avin a laugh surely??? I could maybe do it in 3hours if the traffic was light from Grantham (1 hours south on the A1 from you) which way do you go? do you avoid the M25?
Mate, I do it in 2hrs 45 minutes on a Sunday morning. Never over 90ish.

A1 - M18 - M1 - A43 - M40 - A34 - M3

Probably 3hrs -3hrs 15mins getting back cos there's often a snarl-up at the M40/A43 junction.
Old 17 May 2005, 04:00 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

A43 and A34 dont look particually fast roads... are they just dead then? what sort of time you talking about sunday "morning" ??? Silly time??? thinking of a 8 or 9am start...
Old 17 May 2005, 04:05 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

A43 and A34 dont look particually fast roads... are they just dead then? what sort of time you talking about sunday "morning" ??? Silly time??? thinking of a 8 or 9am start...
Both are National Speed Limit dual carriageways all the way for a start. There are 2 well signposted fixed cameras on the A43 south (one north) and watch for mobiles on the A34 once as you go under the M4 and again once you're in Hampshire. Other than that they're as fast as is legally possible and certainly faster than the M25!

ps. I leave at 9 on a sunday morning to get to S'oton by 12.00 noon.
Old 17 May 2005, 04:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

cool. thanks for the info. just been looking at the map. unfortunately my starting point doesnt really give me much lee-way to get to the M1.... sort of out of my way to get to it, might travel to nottingham and join the M1 that way but its just a pain...

thanks
Old 17 May 2005, 04:09 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

No worries.

Enjoy the weekend
Old 17 May 2005, 04:13 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

ohh I'll be enjoying it alrite if I get this car oohhh yes, puts the scoob to shame
Old 17 May 2005, 04:49 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Went there a few weeks ago to see the Southampton V Norwich game. Not the best result, but a good weekend.

Can highly recommend Kuti's Indian restaurant, and drinking in the Oxford Street area (pub called the White Star?). Much better than the bars at Above Bar Street, which were all well below standard in my opinion, apart from the Polar Bar, which wasnt too bad.
Old 17 May 2005, 07:44 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

?? I'll be shopping for a car and clothes, not lager thanks all the same though
Old 18 May 2005, 11:49 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

?? I'll be shopping for a car and clothes, not lager thanks all the same though
Fair play mate. Just thought I would drop it in.

On another point, dont go to the "outlet shopping" site which is between portsmouth and Southampton. Absolutely toilet.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol... well the southampton thing is off now as the car I wanted to see isnt ready for viewing??? which idiot advertises a car for sale on monday and when you want to view the car a full 7 days later its not ready!!!!!!!!!1