Tories Attack The Travellers!

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2005, 01:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tories Attack The Travellers!

I'm starting to like what I'm hearing!!

However, sadly, they will do nowt about it ...... considering the Tories brought it all about in the first place - YES, YOU Mr. Howard - when you cancelled the Caravan Act of 1968!

Pete
Old 21 March 2005, 01:02 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what was the caravan act of 1968 ?
Old 21 March 2005, 01:04 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Did anyone hear the leader of the travellers of great britain this morning on the radio?

"It's just another racist attack on the most persecuted and abused race in the country."

Race? My ****! It's a lifestyle, and besides not many other 'races' move into your back garden in a caravan then 6 months later build a house, which they then own, without any planning permission and full protection of Labour's laws.

Let's abuse and persecute them some more. ******* leeches on society who contribute NOTHING to the country.
Old 21 March 2005, 01:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I heard that too ..... "we pay our taxes"

Oh, Yeah??

So you declare the money you defraud off a granny for cutting a tree down?? Hmmmm!!

Pete
Old 21 March 2005, 01:08 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I'm starting to like what I'm hearing!!

However, sadly, they will do nowt about it ...... considering the Tories brought it all about in the first place - YES, YOU Mr. Howard - when you cancelled the Caravan Act of 1968!

Pete
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...534793,00.html

He will promise to create an offence of criminal trespass to allow travellers setting up illegal camps to be arrested rather than leaving landowners to take civil action through the courts.
Sounds like they *are* going to do something about it to me!

Unlike Labour who think thieving, robbing, squatting pikeys deserve to be treated with "cultural sensitivity"
Old 21 March 2005, 01:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
what was the caravan act of 1968 ?
From a 1977 Paper to Government:-

"The issue of provision of suitable accommodation for gypsies has led to much conflict and occasional violent confrontation, and much distress for house-dwellers and gypsies. The size of the gypsy population in England and Wales is estimated at less than 50,000, but the problems associated with accommodation take up an inordinate amount of the time of police, courts and local government officers. The Government accept the right of gypsies to live a nomadic life, though opportunities for settlement should be provided.

The Act requires local authorities to determine what level of provision is needed, and to acquire the necessary land. In 1968 it was estimated that 200 sites would be needed across the country. More recent estimates of the gypsy population have increased the number of sites needed to more than 300, but only 133 have been provided. This means that the majority of gypsy families are unable to find a legal site, and have no choice but to break the law on a regular basis. The failure of so many local authorities to fulfil a statutory duty is partly due to financial restraints and partly due to the 1974 re-organisation of local government. However, many sites are unsuitable, being close to busy roads, sewage plants, or rubbish dumps. Some local authorities have failed to act due to strength of public opinion. There is widespread fear and distrust of gypsies, in some cases caused or aggravated by instances of bad behaviour by gypsies."

Mr Howard ended this requirement and therefore not making areas available for legally camping gypsies ...... hence they now camp where they want!!

Its a bit rich of the creator of the problem to state he now has the answer to solve the issues he created!!

Pete
Old 21 March 2005, 01:16 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

"The issue of provision of suitable accommodation for gypsies has led to much conflict and occasional violent confrontation, and much distress for house-dwellers and gypsies. The size of the gypsy population in England and Wales is estimated at less than 50,000, but the problems associated with accommodation take up an inordinate amount of the time of police, courts and local government officers. The Government accept the right of gypsies to live a nomadic life, though opportunities for settlement should be provided.

The Act requires local authorities to determine what level of provision is needed, and to acquire the necessary land. In 1968 it was estimated that 200 sites would be needed across the country. More recent estimates of the gypsy population have increased the number of sites needed to more than 300, but only 133 have been provided. This means that the majority of gypsy families are unable to find a legal site, and have no choice but to break the law on a regular basis. The failure of so many local authorities to fulfil a statutory duty is partly due to financial restraints and partly due to the 1974 re-organisation of local government. However, many sites are unsuitable, being close to busy roads, sewage plants, or rubbish dumps. Some local authorities have failed to act due to strength of public opinion. There is widespread fear and distrust of gypsies, in some cases caused or aggravated by instances of bad behaviour by gypsies."

Mr Howard ended this requirement and therefore not making areas available for legally camping gypsies ...... hence they now camp where they want!!

Its a bit rich of the creator of the problem to state he now has the answer to solve the issues he created!!

Pete
Taking what you're saying at face value then I agree with you Pete (did I just say that???) However, at least he's promising to do something. It's a definite improvement on Labour's policy on the travellers. Surely even you must agree with that?
Old 21 March 2005, 01:21 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The Act requires local authorities to determine what level of provision is needed, and to acquire the necessary land.

<snip>

Mr Howard ended this requirement and therefore not making areas available for legally camping gypsies
So in other words he stopped local councils having to waste money and land on the scummy bludgers. And now, because they are flouting the law and squatting on people's land, he is going to stop that too.

Sound reasonable to me.
Old 21 March 2005, 01:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Taking what you're saying at face value then I agree with you Pete (did I just say that???) However, at least he's promising to do something. It's a definite improvement on Labour's policy on the travellers. Surely even you must agree with that?
Careful, now!!

People have been known to disappear after they start agreeing with me

I agree with throwing the PC brigade into the dustbin of history and clamping down on scum ....... you just have to look at the PC Brigade on here to know what Howard would be up against!

He wouldn't be able to make it better, without causing a mini-riot on every site in the land ...... I saw a film about a site that was going to be cleared, the travellers had burning vans and diesel around the site and the police retreated!!

Now, if he had the ***** to send the SAS in for some training then he gets my support ..... But, it won't happen!! He is just trying to get votes (nowt wrong with that, by the way!) But nowt would get done - its all talk!!

Pete
Old 21 March 2005, 01:24 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

yea thats what they say they'll do. remains to be seen.......
Old 21 March 2005, 01:31 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Labour have had plenty of time to reverse that change in the law, but have done nothing. It's nice to hear that Howard is proposing to change the human rights loophole that prevents them being moved on if it's deemed to be 'disrupting their family life'.

Bl00dy parasites.
Old 21 March 2005, 01:35 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
So in other words he stopped local councils having to waste money and land on the scummy bludgers. And now, because they are flouting the law and squatting on people's land, he is going to stop that too.

Sound reasonable to me.
Agreed
Old 21 March 2005, 01:36 PM
Mustapha Camel
BANNED

What happened to people's freedom?
I like to travel. Will I become "scum" if I decide to park up and stay overnight on an empty piece of land?
Old 21 March 2005, 01:37 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

"Its a bit rich of the creator of the problem to state he now has the answer to solve the issues he created!!

Pete
Err No that what polititions do !

Richard
Old 21 March 2005, 01:37 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

depends if you screw your sister in the back of the car
Old 21 March 2005, 01:38 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Labour have had plenty of time to reverse that change in the law, but have done nothing.
There is no need to change the law back.... what Michael Howard did was right. Why should local councils (funded by us tax payers) be forced to spend money on land and facilities for these people. If they want land and facilities then they must pay for them like the rest of us!

The Conservatives are proposing giving the police more power to shift the skanky miscreants off private land. Hopefully the gyppos will be given such a hard time that they will come to realise that they are no longer going to get a free ride!
Old 21 March 2005, 01:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mustapha Camel
I like to travel. Will I become "scum" if I decide to park up and stay overnight on an empty piece of land?
If somebody else owns it and you plan to stay there without their permission then yes, you are scum. Next question.
Old 21 March 2005, 01:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
There is no need to change the law back.... what Michael Howard did was right. Why should local councils (funded by us tax payers) be forced to spend money on land and facilitied for these people. If they want land and facilities then they shold pay for them like the rest of us!
1. We can put them where we want them

2. We charge for use of the site

3. They are removed from the site if they behave as they usually do

Pete

I liked the one about ******** your sister - we could get them ALL arrested on that one!!

Pete
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

What happened to people's freedom??
What happened to peoples rights as Landowners?
Depends if the Landowner objects or you obtained prior permission and left the place as you found it.

I think people object to the idea of one rule for them and one rule for law abiding people - THATS what really sticks in peoples craw
Mustapha Camel
BANNED

Originally Posted by Freak
depends if you screw your sister in the back of the car
Have you being watching me?
We were both drunk, she was willing, what's the problem?
Old 21 March 2005, 01:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The problem is that they have started buying land and moving their caravans onto it, without getting planning permission first. In this case, the police are powerless because the land is actually owned by the people living on it. That's what happened at a village near us. Eventually the council caved in and gave them planning permission to stay (after they'd been livingthere for a couple of years or so)...
Old 21 March 2005, 01:46 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
The problem is that they have started buying land and moving their caravans onto it, without getting planning permission first. In this case, the police are powerless because the land is actually owned by the people living on it. That's what happened at a village near us. Eventually the council caved in and gave them planning permission to stay (after they'd been livingthere for a couple of years or so)...
This is another issue that needs addressing and tightening up. The council should have had them evicted and torn the place down..... I wonder what they charge them in council tax....
Old 21 March 2005, 01:47 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Depends, if its empty piece of land the council/government has purchased for you to stay on, with facilities available for you then no.

If it's my garden/field, and you end up staying 6 months (or more) whilst installing water/sewerage/electricity and totally trashing the place and dumping litter everywhere, then yes in my eyes you'd be scum and deserve total persecution/annihilation.

Old 21 March 2005, 01:52 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I wonder what they charge them in council tax....
If I remember the points west news article correctly, nothing. Was one of the reasons the local residents were up in arms about it, and also several of them had recently had planning permission (for conservatories etc) turned down by the same council...
Old 21 March 2005, 01:55 PM
Mustapha Camel
BANNED

Originally Posted by Iwan
Depends, if its empty piece of land the council/government has purchased for you to stay on, with facilities available for you then no.

If it's my garden/field, and you end up staying 6 months (or more) whilst installing water/sewerage/electricity and totally trashing the place and dumping litter everywhere, then yes in my eyes you'd be scum and deserve total persecution/annihilation.

Iwan, I promise to only stay 5 months!
Old 21 March 2005, 02:05 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Iwan, I promise to only stay 5 months!
No worries, I don't have a garden at the moment anyway.
Old 21 March 2005, 02:07 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Ah the good old days when gippo's would sell pegs and rags to buy hay for the horse who towed their wooden caravan and live off the land, replaced by transits and shoguns with massive caravans who fund them by ripping off old people by bullying them into replacement drives they never needed and by robbing cars and breaking into houses using whatever force required... Ahh yes the romanticsm that WAS travellers and gypsies...
Now its time to get them in line - the problem is that they are so lawless even the plod are scared of them - I cant see these laws being strongly enforced if they are passed but we'll see!
Anyway good on the blues for raising the point and challenging soft namby pamby bills that really need a good going over....Well in tories, you have my vote in May - again!