Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What will happen if I ignore parking fine?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 09:25 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will happen if I ignore parking fine?

I've got a parking ticket from Edinburgh Council and basically argued my case that the machine was jammed, was the only nearby machines, etc (all factual btw). They say they have no record of a jam that day and consequently I have a fairly weak case. This debate has cost me the option of paying the £30 reduced fine and its now up to £60. I really want to dig my heels in a fight but I know that if I lose my appeal to them (which I almost certainly will) it goes up to £90. What I want to know is what happens after that. If I just don't pay will they actually hound me for the £90 and when they do get me how much will I likely have to pay?

I don't want responses from anyone other than those with direct experience (i.e. haven't paid themselves) or those with real knowledge of the situation - cheers

Also the first formal 'charge certificate' they sent me was made out to the wrong name 'Kenny McLean' not 'Kenny MacLeod'. I informed them of their error and they just re-issued the thing!? Can they do that, if the police make errors in NIPs they cannot be used as I learned when a copper accidently put my incident 1 month into the future.

If I fight them am I likely to end up in court having to pay £300 for a parking fine?
Old 01 February 2005, 09:39 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Aye, and then you go to jail

LOL

Just pay it. You will lose.

At the end of the day the legislation is such that its your responsibility to pay, even if the machines are all knackered.
Old 01 February 2005, 09:44 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Which is a crime in itself by the way!! When I sent off my letter with the ticket I even offered to pay for the bloody parking therefore meeting that responsibility but Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm just another innocent motorist they can take £30/60/90 from
Old 01 February 2005, 09:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Fukc 'em tell 'em Kenny McLean will pay it.........if they can find him

Alcazar
Old 01 February 2005, 09:50 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Some interesting info from hedgehog here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...74#post4248374
Old 01 February 2005, 10:06 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Which is a crime in itself by the way!! When I sent off my letter with the ticket I even offered to pay for the bloody parking therefore meeting that responsibility but Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm just another innocent motorist they can take £30/60/90 from
But you're not innocent Kenny, you parked and failed to pay.

I know its pedantic, but thats the law mate..
Old 01 February 2005, 10:06 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry mate, I think they rose to the challenge of forcing humble pie into your cold, dead hands...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=377520
Old 01 February 2005, 10:16 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Perhaps you could challenge them to a duel to the death like that other guy did!
Old 01 February 2005, 10:24 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Some interesting info from hedgehog here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...74#post4248374
Alex, the legislation is different in Scotland - its goverened by the Transport (Scotland) Act 2001.

Whilst hedgehog's post may well have some relevance to England - it doesn't apply up here as far as parking is concerned.
Old 01 February 2005, 10:25 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Sorry mate, I think they rose to the challenge of forcing humble pie into your cold, dead hands...

Brilliant Brendan
Old 01 February 2005, 10:29 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

O.M.G
Old 01 February 2005, 11:07 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny,

Whatever you do, don't ignore it. Once the admin process is in motion, the charges will just rack up.

When I worked in Glasgow, we (our work) used to get parking fines all the time. A few times I'd paid or the machine didn't work and I had to go up to Pitt Street station and fill out an appeal form. This is about 5 years ago, but I got away with the fines.

Do you know who deals with parking fines in Edinburgh?? I would either pay up and then appeal or if you've enough time before the fine gets doubled, go to them an file an appeal form.

It make take a week or so for a decision to come through.

Ignorance is no defense I'm afraid. Best to deal with it quickly.

Stefan
Old 01 February 2005, 11:07 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Talking

However, I have to take a stand and say that if you want £30/£60 from me to pay for a Penalty Charge Notice under the above explained circumstances then frankly you will have to prise it from my cold dead hands.
ROFPMSL
Old 01 February 2005, 12:47 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

judging by the various TV shows I've watched about baliffs, a lot of their work is parking fines. Council will sell the debt eventually to some seriously hard man who'll stalk you around the place before turning up with a warrant to remove your TV, car, all worldly goods to cover the parking fine plus his huge additional costs unless you pay him by card on one of his first visits. As he is nothing to do with council he will listen to no reason or excuses, just keep coming relentlessly until he gets his money.
Old 01 February 2005, 02:03 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Cooncil website

Check out the cooncil website, especially bullit 4:

Do not ignore it. The penalty will increase if you do not pay, or appeal, promptly. Pay within 14 days and take advantage of a 50% discount.
Move your vehicle. If you don't it may be towed away.
Write to us if you think there are special circumstances or if you don't think you should have been given the ticket.
Even if we reject your claim, you will still have 14 days from the date of our reply to pay at the discounted rate.
Once issued, a parking ticket cannot be cancelled on the spot, so there is no point in asking a parking attendant to cancel it.
If you were loading, ask a parking attendant to make a note in their pocket book of the fact you were loading. This may help if you challenge the ticket later. Keep copies of documentary evidence (e.g. delivery notes).
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/CEC/City...s/tickets.html

Mike
Old 01 February 2005, 06:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

This blows As per my original thread on the matter I REALLY want to be the guy that takes a stand and no doubt finds himself one day pictured in a pikie paper (i.e. the sun/record) with a glum face holding a parking ticket. However, cleverly the Council(s) seem to have set it up so that if you try to appeal or in any way delay the process it costs you more (this is probably contrary to Human Rights legislation I should maybe check) but the bottom line is that arguing my case or digging in will mean it'll cost a lot more if I fail.

I guess therefore the best plan of action is to pay it and then become their worst nightmare. Once its paid they can't hit me for any more money but by god can I kick up stink!

And in any event I may have discovered a way to *ahem* offset the cost a little through one of the council's other departments. Nuff said
Old 01 February 2005, 06:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'll maybe sent a photo of myself looking dead with the money in my hand saying, 'remove from here'
Old 01 February 2005, 06:26 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Were you in a car park or parked on a street? If on a street you can use the old "felt unfit to drive, pulled over and parked then ran off to chunder somewhere". They cant really argue with that one, and I know people whove used it a number of times.

Sounds like its a bit late now tho - suggest you pay it then send lots of moaning letters about the machine being out-of-order, and if you pull that off you'll get whatever you paid refunded.
Old 01 February 2005, 06:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Answer: Work out whether trying to avoid the fine and all that will come with it eg: letters, summons, big scary bailiffs, violence, stress, electrocardiograms, nuclear holocausts (plural), reductions in the number of south american mammals coming over here for tax inspector courses at Wigan college, outweigh the simple task of just paying it....
Id just pay it.... Simple as
Old 02 February 2005, 01:23 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Go to the bank and ask for 30 of those little cash bags with 100 1ps in them, empty the bags into a cardboard box, pay in person or post the box via recorded delivery.

It wont get you off the fine, but you'll feel better for it

Bonus points for getting a photo of their face and posting it here.

Oh, and IIRC the fines eventually go to court. I'm not sure how Edinburgh do it, but a lot of them are processed by the Speed Camera Partnerships and you will receive a letter called an NTO (Notice To Owner) and if unpaid they will register it as a fine against you in your local court at 1.5 times the amount on the NTO (which will be either £90 or £115, I guess, in your case)
Old 02 February 2005, 01:32 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a look at the "Bill of Rights"

http://pepipoo.com/NewForums2/viewto...ht=bill+rights

It's quite new, but might develop into something interesting.
Old 02 February 2005, 03:01 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Like it Lum, I'd say you'd get some pleasure from doing that!

Just to make it a bit more interesting, why not add a few extra pennies so that you over pay. You can then turn things around a little and hassle them for it.
Old 02 February 2005, 03:23 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

i got a parking ticket not long ago, so they said, pay all my tickets and never recieved one, got a letter saying to pay £60 about a month and a half later, made an appeal and was told to pay the £30. which is still a result but as i have no ticket from it being such a long time til they sent out a letter i was quite pi55ed off!
Old 02 February 2005, 08:00 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Go to jail, end of story
Old 03 February 2005, 12:20 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
Go to the bank and ask for 30 of those little cash bags with 100 1ps in them, empty the bags into a cardboard box, pay in person or post the box via recorded delivery.

It wont get you off the fine, but you'll feel better for it
First class!

If you don't pay the fines and they grow/accumulate, he council will apply to the court to have a means enquiry warrant issued for your arrest so that you can be brought before the court to explain why you haven't paid the fine.

You will then be given an extension to pay the fine and if you continue to refuse to do so, a further warrant can be issued for your arrest, however this time it can be an extract warrant meaning you go to jail......
Old 03 February 2005, 12:27 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

See if I was a bit older and had had my years on this earth I'd get tooled up with guns march into the Council and make sure they don't forget me.

I have many faults in life but by god do I flip when I feel I'm being treated unreasonably
Old 03 February 2005, 01:37 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I have many faults in life but by god do I flip when I feel I'm being treated unreasonably
hmmmmm sounds like someone i know, well according to the mrs
Old 03 February 2005, 07:05 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Try and get some other independant witnesses to say it was blocked. Must have been others on the same day as you with the same problem.....
Ask the council for details of how many tickets in that area that day .........