Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are there any permanent speed cameras on UK motorways with a 70 limit?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 09:27 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any permanent speed cameras on UK motorways with a 70 limit?

I slightly hijacked this thread http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=393855.

So, my theory is that there are currently no fixed speed cameras on any UK motorway where the speed limit is permanently 70mph and has not been temporarily reduced for a reason such as roadworks. Does anyone know of any camera sites that contradict this?

As mentioned in the other thread, I know that there are cameras on the M4 to the East of Heathrow (lower speed limit). There are the M25 gantry cameras where the speed limit is variable. There are temporary cameras in areas of roadworks where the speed limit is reduced.

I also know that different forces will use different temporary speed detection methods on motorways (Cumbria seem to favour vans on motorway bridges, Dumfries & Galloway prefer cars with VASCAR), but I'm not convinced that either of them have permanent fixed cameras in 70mph motorway stretches.

However, I can't be arsed looking at every police force's website to check this out for myself, so if someone knows of a fixed camera on a stretch of motorway with a 70 limit, can they let us know where it is. (To be confirmed on the local constabulary's website, of course )
Old 13 January 2005, 10:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

I think that you are right on the "no cameras on 70mph motorway" theme - and (originally) only roadworks and urban (e.g. 50mph) motorway could be targetted.

However, with Bliar and Pressgang in control, we will seem more of the M25 style "variable speed limits" being implemented (for example - right now on the M42). Thus they will be able to reduce the speed limit to 10mph at the drop of a hat - AND ENFORCE IT VIA BIG BROTHER CAMERAS!!!!

You could almost laugh

mb
Old 13 January 2005, 11:05 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

North on the M6 well up north, right by services and services bridge there "used to be" a fixed set (one each side) hiding behind the services bridge. whether it was removed because of damage, hiding them not being allowed, or nnot creating enough revenue I do not know but they were definitly on an unrestricted (70) part of the motorway.

Andy
Old 13 January 2005, 11:15 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
North on the M6 well up north, right by services and services bridge there "used to be" a fixed set (one each side) hiding behind the services bridge. whether it was removed because of damage, hiding them not being allowed, or nnot creating enough revenue I do not know but they were definitly on an unrestricted (70) part of the motorway.
These (at least 3) used to be up and running in 1998/9 when I went to uni in Manchester and used to travel back to Bristol. Seriously dangerous, and they were all located just after bridges. I remember on one occasion almost crashing into a Vectra which got out of shape after some serious braking before the camera.

Just proof (as if anymore was needed) that theyre pure revenue generators and have nothing to do with road safety. Main cause of accidents on the motorway (which are the safest roads we have) is sudden braking, and what do people do when they see a speed camera?