Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MP3 - iPod or Sony HDD Walkman?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 06:15 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 - iPod or Sony HDD Walkman?

I've been looking at buying a 20GB iPod for the past month or so, and with the money now burning a hole in my pocket, I've been tempted to order one.

However, when speaking to a friend of mine with an iPod, he suggested I look into the new Sony HDD Walkman.

Anyone have one, or know about them?

Last edited by G-STAR; 13 January 2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 13 January 2005, 06:45 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

ipod
Old 13 January 2005, 06:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few people I know have had to return iPods, reliability problems in the latest batch apparently.

Up to you, but SONY limit your access to free music with some clever programming as I am lead to believe.

Novatech or IRiver if you really NEED 20Gb - if, like you will, realise that 2Gbs is plenty then the Philips HDD070 is the one to have (Radio too!!)

Pete
Old 13 January 2005, 06:52 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

iPod

Sony seem to have lost the plot due to internal politics within the organisation allowing them to produce something that the corporation wants but that, in general, the public don't.

It must be said that this new unit is an attempt to address this problem as it will play mp3 for example but i'm not so sure they are going to get it right at their first try.

If you aren't already doing so put a copy of iTunes on your computer and use it for a week, if you like it buy an iPod, if you hate it then consider the Sony. I must say that I think iTunes is a fantastic PC based music player now that it will also rip mp3 etc.

Also the Apple lossless format is handy for music you want to rip in quality as it achieves a reasonable level of file size reduction without reducing the audio quality. The iPod will play it and it does sound so much better than mp3, specially for classical of high quality recordings.
Old 13 January 2005, 06:54 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

as for ipod probs, i had a 3g 20gig ipod for a year then got a 4g in dec and had no probs with either, girlfriend has an ipod mini with no probs either
Old 13 January 2005, 06:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Got the Sony for Christmas, love it, so much smaller, lighter and neater than the iPod. Looks good too.

It could do with a remote, but you can buy one for an EXTRA £50 or so

The software is VERY user friendly, as Sony are now on about version 5 of it, being the same as that used for their network Minidisc players.

Alcazar
Old 13 January 2005, 07:39 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Yeah, try different PC software. For me, I hate iTunes - I find it clunky and forces me into doing things differently than I want to. I much prefer Windows media player 10 - its just easier for me to use.

The new Sony HDD player plays Mp3s (they are learning slowly), and has about double the battery life of the iPod. But the iPod is the only machine that will play music from apple's itunes music store. But there are loads of music stores all over the place, so I wouldn't let that sway me particularly.
Old 13 January 2005, 08:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I hate the idea of DRM and other technology that limits what I can do with the music I've paid for - so I want an MP3 player that specifically DOESN'T include any such feature. My Archos FM recorder has had battery problems from day one, so I'm thinking of replacing it.

Has anyone any experience of the iRiver H-140 or H-340?
Old 13 January 2005, 08:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don't buy the iPod you'll be spending time on here justifying your choice of purchace... see pslewis.

If you do you'll find you have a neat, efficient personal stereo with a neat, effective software package to manage your recordings.

The new Shuffle players are a fantastic idea, I use my iPod on random, all day, every day at work and charge it every night at home attached to my PC. The 1GB shuffle would perform that same task without effort and it's so inexpensive it's embarrasing most other players.
Old 13 January 2005, 08:31 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

iPod here.
One of the guys at work has the Sony and I must say it is a neat wee package however for ease of use and the feeling of quality my iPod (2g 5gig) wins every time. We both allow others to use them when they go to the gym and I have more people ask for my player than he has for his (and most of his requests only come when someone already has my iPod)
Old 13 January 2005, 09:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

'Has anyone any experience of the iRiver H-140 or H-340?'

Yes, its superb, used an Ipod and found it easy to use but it looks gash and is expensive for what you get, the Iriver I140 is much more my cup of tea, its just a hard disk in a case, just plu it in via USB and drag and drop files, no software to p1ss about with, it also has an FM radio.

The Ipod does have a couple of advantages, the Iriver is slightly bigger but thats probably down to having a bigger and thus longer life battery, the Iriver is not as easy to use but if you have a brain its fine, not as intuitive as the Ipod, sound quality is very similar but the standard headphones are better on the Iriver and they aint white.

Ipods are good bits of kit but way to obvious, the Iriver looks satisfyingly techie and it doent make you look like somebody who would drive the new Mini, its a mans MP3 player !

Oh and its sixty quid cheaper.
Old 13 January 2005, 09:48 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Got hubby the Sony for Christmas, he was pleased as punch! Nice brushed metal case, far better than the iPod plastic. and as alcazar said - easy to use software that easily loads up your MP3s.
Old 13 January 2005, 10:25 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
the Iriver is not as easy to use but if you have a brain its fine, not as intuitive as the Ipod

Ipods are good bits of kit but way to obvious, the Iriver looks satisfyingly techie and it doent make you look like somebody who would drive the new Mini, its a mans MP3 player !

Oh and its sixty quid cheaper.
Lol: I do have a degree in electronics, how hard can it be?

Glad you like it - I have a decent pair of Sennheisers anyway, so I don't really care about the earphones that come with it. I also like the idea of being able to replace my Image Tank and MP3 player with one box - makes for a lighter load on holiday. The H340 supports USB-on-the-go, so it can read the contents of CF cards with a simple card reader.
Old 13 January 2005, 10:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

>The H340 supports USB-on-the-go, so it can read the contents of CF cards with a >simple card reader.

Belkin card reader for the iPOD is £20.00 I think. Been out since launch.

>far better than the iPod plastic.

The iPod is polished stainless steel with a plastic touch sensitive front panel. Guess you didn't look closely.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I bought an Iriver, awesome imo, Ipods arent the greatest but they arent the worst either
Old 13 January 2005, 11:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Archos Gmini XS200 or Gmini220
http://www.archos.com/products/overv...ini_xs200.html

http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_220.html

(Ignore the RRP..usually sell for at least £50 cheaper if you shop about)

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 January 2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:31 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I hate my ipod with a passion it irritates me I know exactly what I want and what I want to do but my ipod thwarts me at every stage it seems determined to tell me what music I will and won't copy to it. It hates all my MP3's even though it is brand new. The itunes software is the worst peice of crap I have ever used it will consistently refuse to let you have two ipods with differnt music on and if you try to push he point it will delete all the songs off one of the ipods. I hate it and it hates me but I am bigger I am stronger and I have the my finger on the plug switch so the ipod will do my will or suffer the consequences. Death to apple ipods an ipod armagedden is coming soon.
If you want something good get an ipaq put some 2.2 or 4 gig cf cards in it plus a 1 gig sd card then have GPS films books and a speed camera detector on a device that does what you tell it rather than the other way round and its still thinner than an ipod.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 13 January 2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:38 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Ah, that old Apple user friendly design shining through again :-)
Old 13 January 2005, 11:42 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the insight, it's appreciated.

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
I hate my ipod with a passion it irritates me I know exactly what I want and what I want to do but my ipod thwarts me at every stage it seems determined to tell me what music I will and won't copy to it. It hates all my MP3's even though it is brand new. The itunes software is the worst peice of crap I have ever used it will consistently refuse to let you have two ipods with differnt music on and if you try to push he point it will delete all the songs off one of the ipods. I hate it and it hates me but I am bigger I am stronger and I have the my finger on the plug switch so the ipod will do my will or suffer the consequences. Death to apple ipods an ipod armagedden is coming soon.
...and slowly, in through the nose, hold.....and out through the mouth.
Old 14 January 2005, 01:20 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

major car manufacturers are now working to integrate ipods, you dont hear of that for sony

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jan/11cars.html

ACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO—January 11, 2005— Apple® today announced it has teamed up with Mercedes-Benz USA, Volvo, Nissan, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari to deliver iPod® integration with their car stereo systems in 2005. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and Volvo will offer two iPod connectivity options for their entire 2005 US model line. Nissan, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari will announce details of their iPod integration solutions later this year, allowing customers to enjoy high-quality sound through their car’s stereo system, easily access their entire music library and control their iPod using their car’s standard controls. These companies join BMW and MINI Cooper who began providing integrated iPod solutions in 2004.

“Almost every car company in the world is working to integrate iPod into their cars in 2005,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “iPod customers want to take their entire music collection with them everywhere they go, including their car, so we’re excited to be able to work with so many leading automotive companies to provide customers with integrated solutions.”

iPod is the world’s most popular family of digital music players and the best way for Mac® or PC users to listen to music at home, on-the-go and in the car. Apple is working with leaders in the automotive industry to provide the best experience through car stereo systems, as the automobile is a perfect place for iPod users to listen to their music.

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year. Mercedes-Benz is the first automaker to provide full iPod music navigation for drivers to listen to their entire iPod music collection through the Mercedes-Benz audio system, as well as select their music using artist, album or playlist with the multifunction controls on the steering wheel and the integrated multifunction display on their instrument cluster.

Volvo’s two iPod connectivity options for their entire 2005 US model line allow iPod users to listen to their entire music collection through their Volvo audio system. The Volvo iPod Adapter will be available for S60, S80 and V70/XC70 models and will connect by simply plugging the iPod into a cable located in the car’s glove compartment, while S40, V50 and XC90 owners can use a dashboard mounted FM transmitter. The Volvo iPod Adapter allows users to control their music through their Volvo sound system and steering wheel controls, and both options charge the iPod when plugged in.

Additional details on model availability, features and pricing will be provided by Nissan, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari at time of availability.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.
Old 14 January 2005, 01:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Although any decent head unit with a line in can be used with any mp3 player. Just a matter of finding a nice pocket or hidy hole to put the player in.

I just wish my head unit had an SPdif input on it instead of analogue.
Old 14 January 2005, 02:12 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

iPod everytime. Whatever really though, I'm tired of the argument.

It's the market leader for a reason. Many Sony/iRiver/Creative apologists will tell you this is "down to marketing" or "because Apple has a monopoly" or "because people are sheep and they are fashionable". Most of these statements are false. the iPod is successful due to the way it works, and its slick integration with iTunes. No other player is as easy to use and manage as an iPod with iTunes. Nothing comes close in that arena. Unfortunatley the whole iPod experience is something you only get to understand when you own one, so many people who decided not to buy the iPod and got something else don't quite "get it". Even opening the box of an iPod is a bit of an event.

If you want more features like a radio, line-in or on the go radio recording, then the iPod does not do these and therefore it is not for you. In this case buy the iRiver players as they are the next best thing and are fast beginning to equal the iPod in overall abilities.

If you buy an iPod be prepared to be told by plenty of people that the piece of crap 2GB philips player they just shelled out silly money for is "better than the iPod".

If you buy something else, be prepared to troll forums looking to pick a fight with someone to try and justify what you bought.

Basically though it goes... iPod or iRiver, the Sony sucks *****.
Old 14 January 2005, 07:45 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'm not quite sure I understand your argument here. If "the whole iPod experience is something you only get to understand when you own one", something else must make people buy one in the first place. I still blame the fact that it looks cool

At the end of the day I don't want an 'experience', I want to drag & drop my MP3 collection onto a device that works as a hard drive. No funky software needed, no DRM, just plug & play with any of the 3 PCs I use on a daily basis.

I think you guys have answered my question though - thanks
Old 14 January 2005, 09:06 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Apologies to iPod users

Old 14 January 2005, 10:20 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772

At the end of the day I don't want an 'experience', I want to drag & drop my MP3 collection onto a device that works as a hard drive. No funky software needed, no DRM, just plug & play with any of the 3 PCs I use on a daily basis.
That is exactly what you get, just a music player that works perfectly, that is what I mean by the experience. The fact it is an MP3 player is not corrupted by it attempting to do other things like radio, recording...

The DRM is in the music file not the player.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:24 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I have an iPod, but I have to admit the way it works with iTunes is sh!te.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't simply add tracks using any PC unless you

a) install iTunes
b) sync your entire library (not exactly practical)

Apple should re-design the software on the iPod to allow you to simply plug it into any XP PC, have it install the drivers automatically and then simply appear as a drive that will allow you to add/remove tracks without having to install iTunes.

At a guess, I'd say the reason for not allowing this is to minimise people sharing music files i.e. stealing tracks.

Stefan
Old 14 January 2005, 10:28 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

One of the girls in my office has one of these - http://www.archos.com/products/overv...00_series.html

Played around with it this morning and it's a great bit of kit. It was cheaper than my iPod Photo, but it is too big for what I want.

If I'd been a bit more on the ball (and had the ability to predict the future) I may have bought one of these AND the new iPod shuffle instead.

Stefan
Old 14 January 2005, 10:33 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

You are mistaken on one part.

It does need to use iTunes, but you don't have to sync your entire library if you don't want. Just turn on "Manually manage songs and playlists" in your iPod preferences.

I can't see why Apple should really do that using it through iTunes is the easiest way I can imagine for the multitide of users. Plug it in, watch it sync, eject it admittedly for "power users" you may want a drag and drop facility, but its provided, and as you are a "power user" you can change it in the preferences.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

>At a guess, I'd say the reason for not allowing this is to minimise people sharing music files i.e. stealing tracks.

Hopefully you're right.

I don't see a problem with a) iTunes is a great piece of software, why wouldn't you want to use it. Example: The 'Underground' track in another thread on here. I click the link, it plays in iTunes, adds it to my library, adds it to my iPod. Perhaps that's too easy? I should have had to right click save as, find it, double click it to play it, drag and drop it to a folder on a drive that's also my media player! No thanks.

b) You can choose which tracks to sync if you like, I have a 40GB, of course I'm going to sync them all, it's a great back up. Even after importing 2814 songs - mostly from CD - I still have 25GB left that I use to back up of my home produced video and pictures.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:46 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

iTunes is OK, but I find it hard to get excited about any IT thesedays I don't think we should be forced into using it though. One Monopoly isn't any better than another. If I can use something else, then at least I can decide if it is better or not.

Thanks for the heads-up re. Manual manage songs. I use a PC @ work, so I don't want to sync everything on that (when it's already @ home). If I buy a CD or download some tracks I just want to upload the new ones. If I can do that, then great.

Ideally, I want to use my iPod on holiday so that I can easily upload my pictures and video footage. i think maybe the easiest solution (for me) is to look at the adaptor for connecting media cards.

Stefan

Quick Reply: MP3 - iPod or Sony HDD Walkman?