Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any dinghy sailors out there?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2004, 06:14 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dinghy sailors out there?

My old man has just sold his 33 foot sailboat and moved up from the West Country to the Lake District. He's keen to buy a 15 -18 trailerable dinghy to sail on the lakes.
He's after something fairly stiff and stable with room for three at least but still fun to sail. I can't see my mother up a trapese either

Price is fairly flexible 0 - 5k, but doesn't need to be either expensive or brand new. He was was think of a Cornish Crabber but has decided they're too big and too pricey.

thanks in advance
ian
Old 25 November 2004, 10:30 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I suppose the obvious suggestion would be a Wayfarer - been around a long time, good family cruising boat with loads of room, pretty stable. Maybe not the most exciting thing on the water, certainly not the lightest!

Don't know if he'd get one for £5K but a Laser Stratos might be worth considering - basically a modern, Wayfarer type boat. I think new boats are £8K+ and they haven't been around long so might be difficult to get a cheap one.

Or something completely different perhaps? The RS Vision is newish on the market - made of polyethylene - basic boat is £4K so he could get a new one plus trailer plus outboard for about £5K. http://www.ldcracingsailboats.co.uk/...#Specification
Old 25 November 2004, 10:45 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Is he after a dinghy then, or a keelboat?

If it's a dinghy, there's a new boat from Topper, called an Omega - most like a revised wayfarer. They're hellishly unstable though, so I really wouldn't recommend those. Just thought I'd warn you.

Thought about a Drascombe? stick 'devon lugger' into Google, and that's the lot who make 'em. There's a lot of second hand ones about as well, ranging from 14-25ft. They're not what you might call exciting, but it's a good boat, and they last for ever. stable, stiff, trailerable, and designed for around 3-4.

I can find you some pics if you want
Old 26 November 2004, 12:05 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I used to race a laser, will start up again when my son is old enough to join in.

Went out in a Laser SB3 would suit your requirements or a stratus if you want a bit more secure sailing and a cheaper price tag, think they do a keel version now as well.

Good residuals and dealer network too.

http://www.lasersailing.com/index.php