Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Things that go bump in the night...

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 02:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my house was built on......blah blah blah.

on the basis that man has been around for a while why are there no cave men ghosts? my house was built on a site where woolly mamoths lived....never seen any of them floating down my hall.

ps- bigger concern...you have pet vermin living in the house....i'd get rid of them before the spooks
Old 26 October 2004, 02:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You're not living in Pluckley are you?

Try to dig up as much info on your house/street as possible. It's possible someone might have died/been killed there. Try and contact previous owners and ask them if they ever heard anything odd. Maybe even do a search on the internet. Local Library might be helpful, looking through old newpapers, actually, try the local rag, see if there was ever anything in there.
Old 26 October 2004, 02:33 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

who ya gonna call.....

http://www.ghostclub.org.uk
Old 26 October 2004, 02:33 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

ooohh I got exctied then I thought the bump you ment was the baby!
I thought the little bump had arrived!!

Hope all is well

cath
Old 26 October 2004, 02:37 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello B2Z

I can't believe that anything would haunt Tunbridge Wells!

What area do you live in? I have a friend who tries to talk to these "spirits". No, I'm not joking. Yes I think she is slightly crazy.

Steve.
Old 26 October 2004, 02:41 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The more you believe in that sort of thing the more susceptable you become to misinterpreting things which happen around you.

The "footsteps" will be thermal expansion of the boards, joists and other parts of the house. The temperature difference will be down to lack of insulation or heating in the room.

The "changes in light" will be your imagination playing tricks because you have got yourself worked up about the above!

Put it this way.... no one has EVER proved that a ghost exists, i.e. nothing tangible or measurable let alone harmful. So if this is the case, unless your house is any different from all the other "haunted houses", what have you really got to fear from the "phenomenons"?
Old 26 October 2004, 02:47 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

The "footsteps" will be thermal expansion of the boards, joists and other parts of the house. The temperature difference will be down to lack of insulation or heating in the room.
Possibly. But it really doesn't sound like that.
Old 26 October 2004, 02:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Where's Tangina Barrons when you need her eh?
Old 26 October 2004, 02:51 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Oh well will have to make W69 sleep out on the landing and see if anything treads on her in the night
LOL, a man after my own heart.
Old 26 October 2004, 02:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Here's my thought on it...

Some old codger died in the "cold" room, and their essence is still in there, hence it being cold. More than likely it is this old person you hear wandering about, why? well when alive, like most old sods, they were/are a cantankerous (sp?) old sod and don't want to move on, especially with "young people" in the house.

Offer the spirit a decent curry, and it'll bugger off
Old 26 October 2004, 02:58 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

I send my wife Down, shes seriously big into this sort of stuff, wanted to spend a night in a haunted house for years. Don,t know if i would be to keen thou. Keep us informed please, would love to know the outcome of this. Never used to believe in any of this , but messed around one night when younger with certain board . Man scared the sxxt out of me. Never again

SG
Old 26 October 2004, 02:58 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Its vindaloo all round at the moment

at level 2 entity
Old 26 October 2004, 03:19 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Nothing to fear at all as nothing has happened except being woken up by the noise of footsteps. As I said ajm its not sqeaking floorboards as i've already looked for that being the reason. And the stairs are slatted in that they are individual steps with no pipes or anything running up/underneath them.

I don't believe in ghosts like I say but something is causing the noise, and no we are not looking for the noise and imagining it, it wakes us up.
But don't you think it is significantly more likely that you have overlooked a rational explanation rather than having a ghost?

If so, why aren't you taking temperature readings inside and out together with weather/atmospheric/humidity conditions and trying to link them to when the nioses occur rather than researching who might have died beneath your house?
Old 26 October 2004, 03:21 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

See ajm, the mad scientist bit was right
Old 26 October 2004, 03:29 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
See ajm, the mad scientist bit was right
There is nothing mad about that. That is pure, analytical and logical thinking shining through!
Old 26 October 2004, 03:35 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Get a Priest round from your local church to exorcise it? I know nothing about these things btw
Old 26 October 2004, 03:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

"The power of Christs compells you!"
Old 26 October 2004, 03:47 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Markus
"The power of Christs compells you!"
LMAO

I can't get B2Z to watch that film.....Think it might push him over the edge, poor chap
Old 26 October 2004, 04:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Okay, so tell me the area you are in now. I will ask my friend (who is in Edenbridge) what "strange" goings on exist... (assuming you didn't move too far away)

Steve.
Old 26 October 2004, 04:00 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Get a Priest round from your local church to exorcise it?

you reckon 100 sits ups and 100 press ups will tire it out so it sleeps all night?
Old 26 October 2004, 04:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...'smore than B2Z is doing at the moment, I'll bet ....
Old 26 October 2004, 07:35 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

can you contact the people who sold you the house? ask them what they experienced living there,
Old 26 October 2004, 09:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
ajm as for the readings thing W69 suggested getting an energy reading contraption that the odd bins use when they come round to ghostbust And I have being doing my utmost to come up with a logical explanation, believe me i'm looking at every possible answer but nothing has come up as being possible yet to explain what we've heard.
And what form of "energy" are the crackpots trying to measure with this???

I think if you want to get to the bottom of it you need to show the ghostbusters the door and approach it methodically yourself!

The two factors you have talked about are:

1) Sound

2) Heat (or lack of it!)

So that's what we need to focus on!

1) some strategically placed microphones placed on the floor should at least pin point the noise. Find the loudest source of the noise and investigate. Have you actually got up to try and locate the noise btw?

I mentioned environmental conditions before because central heating isn't the only thing that causes expansion/contraction. The ambient temperature inside and out and also the moisture in the air can all play their part as can air pressure, wind etc. If you don't note the conditions when you hear the noise then you will miss any patterns that could lead to the cause.

2) The cold room. First prove that it IS as cold as it feels and is not due to a draught. Get some temperature readings throughout the day. See how the room responds with respect to outside temperatures. Is it single walls, flat roof etc? Chimney present? Large areas of glazing?

I think if you place any trust in the ghost buster brigade then you are already giving in to the hysteria of misinformation that they thrive on!

If you MUST get them in then please humour my evil side and try and set them up. Give them some bogus information and see if the take the opportunity to big up your manifestation and sell you the ghost story!

I may be being overly harsh, they may approach it scientifically... but if they do I am afraid the answer will not be haunting!
Old 26 October 2004, 09:35 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

why not setup a microphone some nights. then when you hear the "noise" see if its caught on mic or its just the imagination........
Old 26 October 2004, 09:49 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

ajm has a point, my last house was built in 1860, and I used to hear all sorts of odd noises at night, though it was usually after smoking too much.

another point, the weather has just turned colder, and you will have stuck on the heating, this will probably doing all sorts of things to the old woodwork.

other than that, don't cross the beams
Old 26 October 2004, 11:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I have had a few experiences that I could not explain away, Once just after my Grandfather died in the house, my bedroom door opened and closed when I was the only person in the house. I have also seen a figure moving and there was no one there. Also had bedclothes moving of their own accord.

I don't believe in ghosts particularly but I would not be prepared to categorically deny the existence of paranormal events without positive evidence either way.

I have also got friends who say they have had poltergeist types of experience with objects moving apparently under their own volition.

There is a story about some houses in Pershore Worcs. which were built on an old cemetary by Pershore Abbey where ghostly monks are said to appear. Never seen anything like that myself though.

Maybe the suggestion of asking a priest to make an inspection is not a bad one B2Z.

Les

Quick Reply: Things that go bump in the night...