Working in New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2004, 03:04 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Working in New Zealand?

Anyone worked over there?
I lived there years ago, but only when I was at school, so to young to know...

What I'm thinking, is that I might go out there for the aproaching sailing season, and teach powerboating, windsurfing, sailing etc. over there.

Has anyone any experience of doing this in NZ - any recommendations, places to work etc. etc....

Thanks in advance
Old 07 September 2004, 03:12 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Recommend you at least check out this site:

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz

Then possibly:

http://www.jobweb.co.nz/links/agencies
http://www.seasonalwork.co.nz/jobs.bsp

Good luck
Old 07 September 2004, 03:29 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Good luck

.... will be joining you on your quest soon
Old 08 September 2004, 11:09 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

could be talking garbage, but my understanding is that you have to apply for a work permit.

due to a reciprocal arrangement with the UK, if you are under ?28 you automatically get a work permit for up to two years (assuming you have a UK passport).

tourist season starts here late December and goes thru to mid Feb or so (ie the NZ summer)

they're usually desperate for casual fruit pickers, etc during autumn - end Feb thru mid May.

maybe a plan to bring cash with you, arrive in December - enjoy a couple of months touring, then get seasonal work.

basic living expenses aren't too bad - reasonable home rental about $180 pw (that's not mid city tho'), car hire $45+ per day, food prices about the same as the UK, but eating out is cheaper.

if you're feeling adventurous - buy a camper van on arrival, use it, then sell it on departure - means no accomodation and reduced food costs.

try traderpoint.co.nz for an idea of camper prices; try woolworths.co.nz for food prices

try surf.co.nz for the surfing sites and webcams

enjoy!
Old 09 September 2004, 08:44 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by philc
could be talking garbage, but my understanding is that you have to apply for a work permit....
Not me... I have Dual Nationality

That's kind of what I was thinking though - just to go there, with a job pinned down, and a fair bit of money in hand before I get there, and work the summer season by teaching sailing etc over there.

Problem is, as I understand it, the exchange rate is such that when you come back over here, the money made in NZ isn't worth as much, so isn't worth going over there with the specific intention of earning money. Could probably earn just to cover the costs though?

Thanks for that though. I shall search for a job, and see what I can find in that line

Philc - are you over there at the moment?
SiPie - what are you up to? Holiday ? Moving there for good?....
-Interrogation over Just interested -
Old 11 September 2004, 04:30 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Franx
Not me... I have Dual Nationality

That's kind of what I was thinking though - just to go there, with a job pinned down, and a fair bit of money in hand before I get there, and work the summer season by teaching sailing etc over there.

Problem is, as I understand it, the exchange rate is such that when you come back over here, the money made in NZ isn't worth as much, so isn't worth going over there with the specific intention of earning money. Could probably earn just to cover the costs though?

Thanks for that though. I shall search for a job, and see what I can find in that line

Philc - are you over there at the moment?
SiPie - what are you up to? Holiday ? Moving there for good?....
-Interrogation over Just interested -
- I live in NZ (near Wellington) - and you're right; pay is p*sspoor compared to the UK, but cost of living is cheaper (like my fully comp insurance for my WRX has just gone up to 130 pounds p.a. !). Earn your money in the UK and holiday / do casual work in NZ.

As for jobs, we use www.seek.co.nz for advertising
Old 11 September 2004, 09:45 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by philc
- I live in NZ (near Wellington) - and you're right; pay is p*sspoor compared to the UK, but cost of living is cheaper (like my fully comp insurance for my WRX has just gone up to 130 pounds p.a. !). Earn your money in the UK and holiday / do casual work in NZ.
Right ho. That's what someone else told me to do as well. I'll do that.
Where abouts are you nr Wellington? Have you moved from the UK, or always been there?

If I cover my travel costs to get over there though, and earn a bit more, I'd be happy just to work there over the summer, assuming I get a job teaching sailing etc, which I've not succeeded in doing yet
I'll work on it, then have a look at flights.

Ta.
Old 12 September 2004, 11:43 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

I would think best places to find the type of job you are looking for would be around the Bay of Islands (Pahia / Russell) where they do boat chartering or around Mount Manganui or on the east side of the Coromandel (around Whangamata).

But don't be disappointed if you luck out. This is a DIY country - buy your boat / race car / skis / hunting rifle / whatever ..... and just go out and do it (and yes, Monday's newspapers usually chronicles people's misadventures at the weekend - falling off ski slopes, acidentally getting shot, getting lost in the back country, drowning, etc).

The demand for teachers / tutors isn't that high (hence the suggestion to bring money, enjoy the holiday and pick up cash from fruit picking or whatever)
Old 12 September 2004, 12:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

S
iPie - what are you up to? Holiday ? Moving there for good?....
Marrying nr Auckland (Hotel de Vin) on 6th Jan, and whilst over there will check out a few things re the viability of Heather moving her business out to NZ and I've been promised work from an old mate (if needed) who I used to work beside in Edinburgh...

Admittedly a bit more awkward as I'm the wrong side of 30 but will have to see if the place matches the hype before I make any decision

Still....... it'll be a good 5 1/2 week holiday if nothing else