Hunting: Why?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 01:34 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting: Why?

Hello

Having been sent the "Women Hunters" page as a joke (see http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357582), I actually started to read it.

Why on earth do people hunt poor defenceless creatures? Quite alot of the people on that page shoot animals with bows, where a "clean-kill" is not guaranteed. I know it takes all sorts in the world, but killing bears and deer cannot really be that much fun?

Steve.
Old 30 August 2004, 11:52 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

There's nothing 'fun' about killing anything... All animals, insects etc have as much right to be here as we do....

Hunting is for the socially and intellectually inadequate....
Old 30 August 2004, 12:05 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
There's nothing 'fun' about killing anything... All animals, insects etc have as much right to be here as we do....
and many of those other animals also kill other animals.

its in the raw nature of many creatures... to hunt.
Old 30 August 2004, 12:10 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
and many of those other animals also kill other animals.

its in the raw nature of many creatures... to hunt.
But we're humans, or has that escaped you?? Most of us seem to be able to conquer our "instincts" to slaughter innocent creatures....
Old 30 August 2004, 12:11 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Hunting is for the socially and intellectually inadequate....
People used to say that about Internet users you Know .

Never really understood the "Killing for Fun" mentality - Fair enough Killing to Eat or Killing to Defend - But Fun - I just don't get it
Old 30 August 2004, 12:14 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The same goes for fishing. Why?
Old 30 August 2004, 12:40 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Hunting is a pleasure
Old 30 August 2004, 01:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Careful not to confuse hunting and killing.

Stalking is an amazing skill, a battle of wits against some opponents. Killing is usually the natural culmination of that, proof that you've stalked successfully. Of course, you can always do "End of Deer Hunter", and shoot to miss.

I used to stalk pigeon before shooting them. If I managed to get most of the way down the garden and point the gun at them without them seeing me, I was quite impressed with myself. Felt guilty at watching the bird in its death throes though.

Was going to say you could have the thrill of stalking without the killing in paintball, but I remember paintball as more of a gunfest, so perhaps not...
Old 30 August 2004, 01:09 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I used to hunt a lot and still fish, I always ate what I caught/shot. If not I gave it to someone who would eat it. Seems pretty straightfoward to me. I enjoy the chase and then enjoy the food.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:06 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

But we're humans, or has that escaped you?? Most of us seem to be able to conquer our "instincts" to slaughter innocent creatures....
i take it you're a vegetarian then?
Old 30 August 2004, 03:10 PM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Calling "creatures" - why not ever just animals? - "innocent" is anthropomophism of the worst kind and only weakens one's argument.

Are you saying we should only kill predators? Or those animals that have broken human laws?

Bagsy executioner for the 35mph pigeons I just clocked going down our street...
Old 30 August 2004, 03:23 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Careful not to confuse hunting and killing.

Stalking is an amazing skill, a battle of wits against some opponents. Killing is usually the natural culmination of that, proof that you've stalked successfully. Of course, you can always do "End of Deer Hunter", and shoot to miss.

I used to stalk pigeon before shooting them. If I managed to get most of the way down the garden and point the gun at them without them seeing me, I was quite impressed with myself. Felt guilty at watching the bird in its death throes though.
Totally agree. It's more about the reward you get for your skill than the actual shot at the animal in the end. The guilt factor is also common.

Jose Ortega said this regarding the guilt:
Every good hunter is uneasy in the depths of his conscience when faced with the death he is about to inflict on the enchanting animal. He does not have the final and firm conviction that his conduct is correct. But neither, it should be understood, is he certain of the opposite.
Old 30 August 2004, 03:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is natural to kill an animal for the pot, don't see much wrong in that. But I certainly don't find the idea of killing just for the sake of it attractive in any way.

Would you apply the same argument to humans Carter, and if not why?

Les
Old 30 August 2004, 07:13 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I'm guessing that site is American ? Anyway, bow hunting in the USA is still legal (but I cannot understand why). Strictly against the law over here thankfully.

I do a lot of archery when I can but target recurve only. Sure, I have every confidence I could hit a deer with an arrow but have zero confidence in the ability to kill a deer outright with a single arrow. The thought of a deer (or such like) running around the forest with an arrow stuck right through it doesn't go down well with me.

However, I'm not against hunting as long as the right tool is used for the job (bows on deer/bears is simply wrong). By this I mean a quick humane kill where which ever animal it is doesn't suffer. I'm firmly in the camp of only hunt for what you can eat or only hunt for what is classed as vermin (and I may well eat that as well ).

Taking rabbits for the pot, or clearing woodies from a field or rats from a barn is simply managing the countryside. It is necessary work. Culling certain deer from a herd is also necessary to protect the herd and the countryside in which they reside. It is simply a fact of life.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 August 2004, 07:20 PM
daisy
Scooby Regular

I'm with Jasey on this one - just don't get where the pleasure is.
Old 30 August 2004, 07:36 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

i went diving today, got eight lobsters, all were in the pot, later in the day

but hunting a bear is barbaric, they should make the hunters eat it,
theres something in some people where its more about power and killing than hunting, they get a kick out of killing something, its not about stalking or eating what you hunt its about killing something, they get a power trip from it
Old 30 August 2004, 08:17 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I've not read the site, but if the bear "bow hunters" go into the forest armed with just a bow then I'd say that takes some *****. I'll bet though that they all have a rifle or .357 tucked away somewhere in case things go wrong. I wouldn't fancy a 500lb grizzly coming at with with my last arrow stuck in it's ***

I can't understand Americans, I've met soldiers and USAF guys through work, all have been really good sorts, when you work for them they bend over backwards to help. But everything else like TV shows,stuff in newspapers & the news, internet like the website above, just says to me they are a nation of arseholes.
Old 30 August 2004, 10:08 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I wonder how many would still hunt if the animals had guns and were able to shoot back? Get these kill for fun hunters into the woods against that Chris Ryan S.A.S bloke off the tv, then see how they enjoy their "sport"from a different perspective,now that would be good

P.s Am i alone, when i cheer for the bulls on these programmes where you see the Tw*tadors being gored and also they idiots being chased through the streets? c,mon the bulls!!! gore another one
Old 30 August 2004, 11:23 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Hunting is in man's instinct, it's remained through all the evolution from the stone age. It used to be (and still is, although not for every species as we breed lots) necessary. Man had to use his intelligence, traps, weapons and all sorts of things to kill his dinner. Nowadays, you can buy dinner in the supermarket, but the hunting instinct is still there. I dont think it's wrong or right, it's just the way it is.

Hunting isnt about killing defenseless animals, it's about tracking down, following, tricking your opponent and winning in the end. It's a satisfactory experience although mixed with guilt.
Old 30 August 2004, 11:26 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Obviously, shooting at deer or bears with an arrow is just plain dumb, but hey, the people in question are braindead.
Old 30 August 2004, 11:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Went game fishing a couple of weeks back in Indian Ocean (first time experience). We hooked a big Sailfish and slowly brought him close to the boat. He shook his head and got off the hook. Very mixed emotions. On balance I was delighted he lived to see another day and will never go game fishing again but I have to say it was an exciting experience. Brought back thoughts of watching a bull fight many years ago. Some horrible basic instinct in mankind. No place for it is my view if it's just for "fun". DL
Old 31 August 2004, 02:31 AM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trucker Ted
P.s Am i alone, when i cheer for the bulls on these programmes where you see the Tw*tadors being gored and also they idiots being chased through the streets? c,mon the bulls!!! gore another one
Not alone mate, have you seen the one where the bulls horn goes straight up his arsehole??? ouch! That'll learn him
Old 31 August 2004, 08:59 AM
daisy
Scooby Regular

definitely not alone!!!
Old 31 August 2004, 05:22 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to agree with Ian.
It is down to the attitude towards the environment.
People that are in tune with nature and just kill for the pot or to manage the countryside - in order to sustain themselves or to keep a natural balance.
Then thats good.

But just killing for sport and leaving dead stuff lying about then thats not on.

Steve
Old 31 August 2004, 05:25 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

If it gives the yanks another excuse to shoot each other then I am all in favour of it.
Old 31 August 2004, 05:29 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

IM thinks I'm a bit bonkers because I pick up earthworms from the pavement and put them back onto the grass so they stand a chance.

I also help spiders back up onto cupboards out of harms way (as long as they hide from IM)

Have no problem with the idea of killing for food - we are still animals afterall. Not 100% happy with intensive farming to get them though, but not sure what the solution is when so many people want to eat meat.

Deff on the side of the bull though!

IMHO the words "Killing" and "for Fun" should never be in the same sentence.... Killing animals wouldn't be fun even if I was starving and my very life depended on it.