Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

martial arts - what to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2004, 03:52 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question martial arts - what to try next?

Hi

Question for all you Martial Artists....

I've previously spent around 6 years in total studying traditional Karate followed by shorter spells at Muay Thai, Lau Gar Kung Fu and others but haven't trained for about 6 years.

I'm now looking to get back into the martial arts, mainly to keep my fitness up and a bit of stress management, but having spent a fair time studying the kicking /striking arts of Karate and Muay Thai, I'm looking for something a little different.

So far, short list is Jiu Jitsu, Aikido or Tai Chi - has anyone trained in any of these / train in them now, and if so offer any opinions on them?

As I say, I'm not looking at this from a self defence aspect (although Jui Jitsu and Aikido appear to be a very effective defence system) more a hobby/fitness/stress buster

Any ideas?

Neil
Old 18 August 2004, 03:59 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
Hi

I've previously spent around 6 years in total studying traditional Karate followed by shorter spells at Muay Thai, Lau Gar Kung Fu and others but haven't trained for about 6 years.

I'm now looking to get back into the martial arts, mainly to keep my fitness up and a bit of stress management, but having spent a fair time studying the kicking /striking arts of Karate and Muay Thai, I'm looking for something a little different.

So far, short list is Jiu Jitsu, Aikido or Tai Chi - has anyone trained in any of these / train in them now, and if so offer any opinions on them?

As I say, I'm not looking at this from a self defence aspect (although Jui Jitsu and Aikido appear to be a very effective defence system) more a hobby/fitness/stress buster

Any ideas?

Neil
Try doing the Chen style tia Chi, My fiancee has been doing it for sometime and she says it good for general fitness etc.
Old 18 August 2004, 04:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
Hi

Any ideas?

Neil

Did JJ many moons ago - like Judo but without the good manners Good for general fitness, mostly holds and throws but some strikes as well. Would be something a bit different to the karate / kung fu style arts.
Old 18 August 2004, 04:44 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

go for brazilian Jiu Jitsu. then you can fight standing up and on the floor.
or Jeet Kune Do all round street fighting.

Ray
Old 18 August 2004, 05:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I do This martial art and really enjoy it. You'll see there are many, many, many aspects to it that might interest you including pressure point strikes/manipulation, joint locks, weapons, etc, etc.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:27 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

<<bows on entrance how about capoiera. thats one funky style and i bet it gets you fit too!!!!!!
Old 18 August 2004, 10:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

ive always wanted to do kendo there is just something good about fighting with a sword and being able to throw the odd knee in as well plus sparing will be mint as with all the gear you can whack someone to bits and no facial brusies