Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Penrith to Alston road!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2004, 01:07 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Penrith to Alston road!!!!!!!!!

Anybody familiar with this road?Its a cracking road ,twisties ,straights,hairpins etc.Used by a lot of bikers as well.Had a bit of fun going over it at the weekend on way to a christening in Stanhope.

Think I was nabbed by a speedcamera on way back though.National speed limit changed to 30 mph as I entered a village,came round corner then realised it was a mobile speed camera looking at me.****,good job I was driving my wifes Berlingo Multispace.I looked at speedo and was doing about 38 mph .

Will the points be issued to her? as it is registered in her name or will they use photo evidence and ask which bloke was driving it?
Its gonna be **** waiting for the envelope to drop through the letterbox.
I havent been done for speeding in 14 years and always follow speed limits in town etc,but this was a downhill roll into the 30 zone and I was breaking ,just not quick enough.
Old 09 August 2004, 01:17 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Good road but as you may have found out, its too popular with the camera vans.
Old 09 August 2004, 01:43 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

is that the a66 towards scotch corner?
Old 09 August 2004, 02:09 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

No mate, its the A686. It used to be quiet without any police, but a fair number of bikers and car drivers have died on it so there is now a bit of a clamp down on speeding.

Dave.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:11 PM
manny
Scooby Regular

yes i've done that one many times, the climb from Penrith to Hartside (where the cafe is) is one of the best stretches of road i've been on.....but yes beware of the cameras!!!
Old 09 August 2004, 02:15 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by manny
yes i've done that one many times, the climb from Penrith to Hartside (where the cafe is) is one of the best stretches of road i've been on.....but yes beware of the cameras!!!
So does the wife cop for the speeding ticket(her vehicle)or will I end up with the points??Anybody advise please.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:21 PM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmr
So does the wife cop for the speeding ticket(her vehicle)or will I end up with the points??Anybody advise please.
I think your wife will get a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) at which point she is requested to state who was driving.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:21 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

You will probably find that the NIP (iirc Notice of Intent to Prosecute) will be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle. I think one of the questions will be who was driving at the time. So it will be up to your wife if she takes the points or you do.

Dave.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

If the vehicle is registered in your wife's name, then the NIP will be addressed to her. Assuming that you do get a NIP within 14 days, then you have a choice - your wife could pay up and accept the 3 points, or she can write back to the issuing scamera partnership and tell them that you were driving. The NIP will be reissued in your name.

My strong advice would be to consult the excellent Pepipoo website before doing anything.

Chris
Old 09 August 2004, 02:39 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
If the vehicle is registered in your wife's name, then the NIP will be addressed to her. Assuming that you do get a NIP within 14 days, then you have a choice - your wife could pay up and accept the 3 points, or she can write back to the issuing scamera partnership and tell them that you were driving. The NIP will be reissued in your name.

My strong advice would be to consult the excellent Pepipoo website before doing anything.

Chris
Thanks Chris,I will have a look,cheers.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:54 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy

yep - the A686 - its whole length is (was) possibly the best road in england - I've had mucho fun up there in years past - before cameras

Shame sounds like its been ruined now - mind you there were some mental biker crahes on it.

Fantastic scenery all around - especially the first climb, through (I kid you not) Eden - its Gods land up there - not scamera land!!!:GRRRR

Was it thru Alston u were caught?

Used to do that road in a Legacy Turbo, then migrated to Impreza's - ahh those were the days - I used to have 2 friends in Newcastle University - the A686 was a good excuse to visit them often (and the Quayside of couse!)
Old 09 August 2004, 09:19 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

No it was about 10 miles out of Penrith on the way back to Penrith,cant recall the village name.
Old 09 August 2004, 11:01 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmr

No it was about 10 miles out of Penrith on the way back to Penrith,cant recall the village name.
Probably Langwathby or Melmerby, seen it parked up on the Village Green a while back. They also park up in the first village just off the M6. Map of camera locations here http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/map.php

Great Road
Old 10 August 2004, 09:50 AM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Definately top road but always full of bizzys at weekends, mind you the Glencoe road is my personal fave.