Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed camera info please A1/Jnct52

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2004, 07:43 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speed camera info please A1/Jnct52

Did anybody else get caught out traveling up to TOTB on Sunday ? I think it was just passed Junction 52 (Grantham) northbound on the A1

Origin B2 goes off, tells me the limit is 70, check speed at 69, OK me thinks, gets up the camera (truvelo) and flash. Checks speed again, then notices a temporary speed sign saying 50

Spent all day cursing why hadn't I noticed that I had entered a speed restricted area. On the way home checked the road, discovered that I had missed one 50 sign approx 100 yards from the camera. There was no sign of any road works, no cones, no workmen, no nothing.

I'm assuming the restriction had been cleared but they had not reset the camera, anybody confirm this ? need to gather my defense if the postman comes.

Cheers
Allan
Old 02 August 2004, 09:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Get photos of the signs. If there was only one then you are probably in the clear as I believe they have to be in pairs at the start of a limit.

There are also very strict rules on the size and the lighting requirements, if they are within 50 meters of a street light then signs at the start of a speed limit must be lit, though I don't know if that applies to temporary limits.

The law even indicates the size of the writing indicating the owner of the sign on the back! Honest. So if it says "Property of Bob's Roadworks Company" on the back get a photo and measure the size of the writing, could put you in the clear.

Got to the ABD site and click in the yellow box on the home page with the 40 symbol in the corner. You will get an excellent summary of the law on the signs.

http://www.abd.org.uk/
Old 02 August 2004, 10:12 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Hedghog that link might come in handy, no pictures I'm afraid, I'm 180 miles away.

Only one sign on the right hand side of the carriageway, I would also have expected at least two warnings that there is a restriction ahead.

Allan
Old 02 August 2004, 10:51 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There must be a sign on each side of the road at the start of a limit as I understand it so I'd say you have a good case providing you can get some evidence.

Any possibility of someone else taking a few photos for you? Perhaps even someone on SN who lives nearby? The legal process depends on evidence and you can be sure that the partnerships will be economical with the truth in court should it come to that, experience has shown that there is no way they will admit to a wrongly signed limit or situated camera.

There was a similar case in Wales some time back whereby several thousand motorists were done for exceeding 50mph when in fact the camera was in the 70mph limit. The camera partnership refused to give the CPS the information relating to the motorists who had been wrongly prosecuted so that their fines could be returned and the points removed from their licenses. In those terms this sounds merely like someone protecting their interests but when you consider that a small proportion of those people prosecuted may have lost their licenses and, possibly, their jobs it gives you some idea of the arogance of the system against which we are fighting.

Should you go on to become involved in some other event for which you gain points on your license it is possible that the 3 points from this wrongly sited camera might be sufficient to lose you your license as well. Worth considering that, it would be a shame to lose your right to personal mobility because of the illegal actions of someone else who happens to have the backing of the state.
Old 03 August 2004, 10:05 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Old 03 August 2004, 12:42 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping somebody else will have travelled on the same stretch of road who can at least verify what I saw, probably not there any more now.

Kind of ironic really, I've been driving for 27 years and never been done for speeding, then this happens after I get a B2. There is a danger that you can get to trust the GPS too much, you need to make sure your general observation is not reduced as a result.

Allan