Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 03:48 PM
scooby2000wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double glazing.....aaaarg

Double Glazing man round tonight.....any ideas for
1. Classic one liners to fox them
2. Brilliant ways to get rid of them once they have over stepped their time and boredom is setting in
Old 21 July 2004, 03:50 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Ask him about his squiggle strip.
2. Thanks for your time and information but I NEED time to think about it and compare quotes.

F
Old 21 July 2004, 03:56 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

arrange for one of your mates to phone you at the same time. Invite the guy in and spend as long as you possibly can on the phone and totaly ignore him. End the conversation with "oh my God ! if thats the case, I'll be right round" ask the glazing guy to leave as you must go round to your friends house urgently......now remember waste as much of his time as you can !
Old 21 July 2004, 03:57 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Pretend you have diarrhoea, then at least if they don't leave quickly you can have small breaks in the bathroom. Equip the bathroom with good magazines prior to this, so you don't get bored waiting too.

Best thing is to be honest and make sure you tell them you will *not* be buying anything today, you just require a quote so they should not waste their time trying to coax you into a purchase. That's what we did and the salesman was grateful for it, he said he was glad we were honest because some people have no intention of buying but just string him along anyway.

What's a squiggle strip?
Old 21 July 2004, 04:14 PM
scooby2000wrx
Scooby Regular

Like the squirts idea........hmmmmm what is a squiggle strip
Old 21 July 2004, 04:20 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

i used to make windows,it was crap,ask if they use a glass hammer when they install them
Old 21 July 2004, 04:50 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Ask as many stupid questions as you can until they get pissed off and leave.....i.e

I hear modern glass uses less hardener than days of old and tend to run in the summer. Will you replace the windows if any runs appear ?

Where does the sand come from to form the glass as you are a member of the Jedi brotherhood and have an embargo against certain countries that do not recognise the brotherhood..........would you be interested in joining ?

I'll get my coat
Old 21 July 2004, 05:51 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

LOL ....... Jedi Brotherhood.

Class
Old 21 July 2004, 06:11 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Simple honesty is the best answer.

There are laws against hard selling on the doorstep (as it were) and you always have a cooling off period anyway.

There is a DG firm 'round here that promise to out of your house in 20 minutes, just tell this guy the moment he steps in that:

a) you have no intention of buying anything now, and attempts to persuade you otherwise will result in NO sale
b) he has a set time limit - say 30 mins.

If he's at all professional he'll understand.
Old 21 July 2004, 06:28 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I didnt know that comapnys still put the pressure on any longer.

Ive been having quotes (3) for my house and havent had any pressure at all. Infact most seem to be up for a little discount.
One offered me 8%, i had a think about it and went back with 15% as a cash deal.... and never heard back from them !!!

ive got 1 x Front door (compassive) 1 x back door with cat flat, 2 x french doors and 13 windows £9k ??
Old 21 July 2004, 06:31 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

When he comes in double lock the door behind him & then close all the curtains
Old 21 July 2004, 08:35 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Cool

when they come in give them the following statement..

i have asked you to measure the windows and quote.

i dont deal, discuss finance or special offers.

you have 15 minutes to measure, if you cannot do that in that time please leave now.

a certain well known telesales glazing company were out within 30 seconds

the other tried it on and got to the stage where he refused to sell or quote, becase i didnt want to do a deal!!

oh i forgot, make sure your video recorder/ dvd telly is broken!! they cant make you watch crap films!!!

the two local companys who came in measured , & left brochures,, they told me up front thats all they do initially..

once we got the quotes we had a 10 minute chat (bit of barganing) over the phone

signed the forms, and that was it..

best way to do it ring the local builders in your area, and ask who they use for there windows!!!

mart
Old 21 July 2004, 08:44 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

when he's finished the quote, just tell him u will pass it on to your landlord and then get back to you
Old 22 July 2004, 09:20 AM
scooby2000wrx
Scooby Regular

Ok, well they came ( I say they, there was 2 of them!!). Two hours later we shook hands and they left in their blacked out mercs.

£8457 was the total figure they came to, this included 2 bays one normal window and a pretty much re-built porch.

However if we sign within the week then it dropped down to £6750

What are your thoughts ( I have mine)
Old 22 July 2004, 09:26 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I had a company ''Weatherseal'' come round years ago, started at 9k I think then down to 3.5k and if we took the budget account option it went down further to 2,750 (+29.9% apr!!). Finally after 3 hours, he said ''ok what would you pay for it?'' to which I replied 1k! He then 'phoned his boss' and I heard all the acting surprised at what a good deal they could do for me if I signed there and then!

In the end I said that there were f'ing con merchants as they would have happily let me pay 9k, and how the **** could they do it for 1k!

Dodgy as ****.

If you need a reputable company who will give you only one price then PM me.

S96
Old 22 July 2004, 01:10 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Ask them if the glazing conforms to document 'L' of the building regulations, and get them to forward the U-value insulation calculations to you prior to your making a decision to purchase. It should be 0.35 as a minimum (the lower the better).

The price of £6750 seems excessive for two bay windows, a porch and one window. Use their quotation to get a like-for-like price from two or three alternative suppliers. Every domestic glazing salesman in the industry over-quotes for the initial price by a considerable margin, so aim for a third (or less) of their original estimate.

Don't feel pressured by the old 'if you sign this week you can get 2 grand off' trick - it's a load of tosh and a tactic used to prevent you from getting other (cheaper) quotes. If they want your business, they'll wait.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A good trick...get the is missus to involve you in a "fake" argument (or a real one if your into that )

When I mean argument I mean plenty of prolific swearing, and throwing stuff, glass ornaments. Bring the salesmen into the argument, ask his opinions, and accuse him of sleeping with her/him (him more preferable for laughs).

Warning signs for quotes are "I'll phone the boss" and "We'll knock off £1K if you become a showhome - as we appear not to have any round here - but you must sign there and then"
Old 22 July 2004, 01:50 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Zenith still hard sell. I went through this recently and ended up having to physically eject the tw@t after 2 hours. As above all this show home/ I'll phone my manager/ speciall offer etc etc, any of the above should ring alarm bells.

I used a small local company in the end and was so impressed they got a conservatory out of me as well.
Old 22 July 2004, 02:01 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2000wrx
Ok, well they came ( I say they, there was 2 of them!!). Two hours later we shook hands and they left in their blacked out mercs.

£8457 was the total figure they came to, this included 2 bays one normal window and a pretty much re-built porch.

However if we sign within the week then it dropped down to £6750

What are your thoughts ( I have mine)
No 1 thing to remember is that there is no way on earth they will turn your business away if you don't sign within the week. Infact, offer them £6500. I'm sure they won't turn it down. Just tell them the wife wants to go with a cheaper company, but you like them and told her you felt sure they'd match the price. If they ask which company, just give them the name of their main competition.
Make sure you get a few more quotes in.
Old 22 July 2004, 06:42 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general all the major players are massively over-priced: Everest wanted £1600 for a door! Of course if I was a show home it would be £900, but I'd have to sign up there and then...

I saw some local peeps make a good, quick job on a neighbours house, and asked them: £700. Still a bit pricey, but the work was good. So, ask around friends ofr recommendations, and stick with local firms.

M
Old 22 July 2004, 07:31 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

When dealing with multi vendors at work (mobile phone co. for example) for the same product I book them all same day at 45 min intervals, I tell them who I am seeing that morning and that they have 30 mins to sell/quote to me.

It keeps them on their feet and you remain in control, if that waffle on too long they soon get the message and leave when a competitor turns up for their appointment
Old 24 July 2004, 09:12 AM
scooby2000wrx
Scooby Regular

The sign within the week quote of £6700, Im thinking of say ok if they do it for £5000 (dare I go any lower). I said I would ring back this weekend.......like hell i will. I will wait til monday when they will ring me
let you know what we end up with!!
Old 24 July 2004, 09:19 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

We have a local firm round doing our double glazing at the moment. I refuse to buy from Anglian, Zenith or any of the cowboys that insist on using my doorstep or telephone as their personal advertising pitch (in my free time ). If I want a quote, I'll ask for one. Can you imagine other industries working like this? "We were just passing by and looked through your window and noticed your telly is a bit crap? Would you like a no-obligation quote for a new one?"

Anyway, we're having the windows that are white on the inside and "wood effect" on the outside (has to be, or it won't match the rest of the street) and got the following for about £6k fitted:
Bathroom window (two units wide)
Front bedroom window (two units wide)
Downstairs toilet window (one unit)
Bay window (three units across the front, one down each side)
Two rear bedroom windows (one two units wide, the other three)
Kitchen window (two units wide)
Two sets of French doors

Last edited by carl; 24 July 2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 24 July 2004, 09:48 AM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

A chap I work with used to sell DG. In the past he suggested you should ask to see the companies price list, because strangly enough the salesman won't have one.
Prices can vary from area to area. You live in a nice place, surprise surprise, the bill will be more, if you don't, it'll drop.
You have to get at least three quotes though, just for comparison. When the insurance is up on the car, you don't automatically go straight back to the same company do you?
Old 26 July 2004, 09:04 AM
scooby2000wrx
Scooby Regular

dg salesman is phoning back tonight.............max we can go we have decided is £4000

Interested what ploys he will have to get more out of us

£6000 sounds not too bad for all those windows inc. french doors
Old 26 July 2004, 09:44 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

French doors are actually around the same price as patio doors. I think ours were £25 more than patio doors, though my parents have some too and they were actually cheaper than patio doors.
Old 26 July 2004, 10:14 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

I use a local company that manufactures for the trade, cuts out the middle man. And then get a fitter to install.
Got a nice new front door, job lot fitted for under £400 !!
Old 26 July 2004, 01:08 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

I had BAC in to quote for 10 small windows (approx 1000mm x 1000mm) in a cottage. In hardwood they wanted about £1300 per window, but for the french doors they quoted about £3.5k !

I have now gone to Magnet, had tailor made hardwood windows with Pilkington K glass made up at about £380 a window. A close friend who is a qualified joiner and fitter is going to install them for me.

Last edited by PaulMc; 26 July 2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 26 July 2004, 02:35 PM
scooby2000wrx
Scooby Regular

I'd like to know what profit margins they work to......anybody know or work for a double glazing firm