Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO carp anglers part 2...

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2004, 03:46 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah, glad you brought this up, I need some advice

I have been invited to go carp fishing by a mate, apparently the chosen method is floating crust - which is dead handy as I don't posses any hi-tech carp terminal tackle . Now I plan to take an unsliced loaf for the Mr Crabtree bit, question is, what other methods & baits for catching them off the top can I use?

controller floats?
The line I have is 10lb braid with an Avon type rod - will this braid be ok for a hooklength?, it is very dark green, would I be best with mono?

I don't think there are any major lumps in there over 20lb, so I'm hoping the avon rod will prove good fun.

cheers,

mike.
Old 29 June 2004, 04:24 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

First of all: B2Z... Woodlands in Thirsk is good, plenty of fish over 15lb, a few over 20 and a lake record of 29lb supposedly. They will also bite ALL day long so a very enjoyable water with LOADS of carp. Maybe not for your hardcore carpie but lots of carp around 10-15lb.

Mike; what you have said there should be ideal, at the water i fished recently (co-incidentally the above mentioned water) i picked carp up all day with floating breadflake/crust with controller float. Had carp to about 12lb on this using a slightly beefed-up match rod, 6lb line with 4lb hooklength. I would personally use mono rather than braid but that is my personal choice, its up to you. However, you may be able to have a bit more fun fishing a bit lighter than you mentione, personally i think its more fun as you have to use your head more but obviously not TOO light as then youre running the risk of a lot of fish swimming around with hooks in their mouths.

Have fun
Old 29 June 2004, 05:41 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

sorry misread the title, never caught a carp.......... carried a 29 lb pike across 3 fields at 2am to get the bleeder weighed - not my catch, sure was a scary beast!
Old 29 June 2004, 07:54 PM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

B2Z, I never fished, but I wondered... do you guys ever use dried silk worm puppies ?

My carp go absolutely *bonkers* when I feed them those.

Available in most decent koi/water garden shops.

Of course, I object morally etc... blah... to fishing

Trending Topics