How to learn to sing ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 03:09 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to learn to sing ?

Hi all,

Ok, been a bass player in a band for a number of years, but always too self conscious to step to the mike.

But I've really got to start yelling Can anyone help on the 'learning to sing' front ? Preferably without having to go see someone !

Is there a CD I can buy for the car etc ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 21 June 2004, 04:24 PM
Ferne
Scooby Regular

Being married to someone who can sing properly and constantly laughs when I sing I decided to do something about it. I bought a CD to play in my car, cos I thought I'm in my own little area and no-one will be able to hear me. Hmmmm well, not quite what I expected. I've played it three times and can't stop laughing 'cos this American chap it sooooo fecking aweful. My husbands Aunty is a singing teacher (she taught Ian whats-his-face, who won Stars in Their Eyes doing Chris De Burgh) but I'm far too embarassed to go 'cos I know her. Anyway the long and the short of it is you need to go to a teacher as they will teach you how to stand correctly etc. and there's no way you can learn to sing sitting down.

Hope it hasn't put you off, one of these days I will pluck up enough courage and go for lessons!!!!!!
Old 21 June 2004, 04:48 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Matt,

Ive had singing lessons on and off for the last couple of years and once you get over the embarrasment of telling your mates you'll be OK! In fact I was going for a year before a couple found out and that was only cos one rang when I was at a lesson and my girlfriend told him without knowing he didnt know!

Anyway as a muso already you should have a good ear to at least pitch correctly. Singing is using an instrument just like anything else (so my teacher always says) and you need to practice lots and do the rudiments which are normally breathing exercises and scales. I was a complete beginner and now I'm happy with the level I have achieved but like any other instrument you need to keep practicing. I did buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...995158-2522821
if you are looking for instructional stuff but to be honest as already mentioned there really is *no* substitute for real instruction from an experienced teacher.

If you need to know any more then PM me!

Good luck mate!
Old 21 June 2004, 04:51 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Looks like we're in the same boat eh ferne, oh well.

I've sometimes thought maybe I'll just go for it, but I'd need a little 'dutch courage', problem is - that always leads to the same thing, and singing 'You've lost that loving feeling' at the top of my voice in a 'straight from the footie terraces' stylee isn't quite what I'm after

Thanks anyhoo, and all the best.

Matt