Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wedding Photography

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 08:38 AM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wedding Photography

Can anyone recommend a good contemporary wedding photographer in the Leicestershire area. We want a few formal photos of arrival/ceremony etc. and then some nice b/w & colour contemporary informal shots of bride & groom and guests. It is a civil ceremony with reception held at the same venue. Date is Friday June 11th.

My friend, who is a good amature photographer, was going to look after all the photos but as the wedding has grown it really is too much to heap on him. As this is another additional cost that was not anticipated, my budget has to be set at a max of £500.

Any suggestions?
Old 23 April 2004, 09:51 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't recommend one specifically - but here are a few things to consider to help you choose someone:

- speak to the venue, there may be a local photographer who's been there before and knows the most photogenic spots, the lighting at different times of day and so on. That's how we met the chap we used when Mrs C and I got married. (He did a great job, but sadly isn't really local to you).

- Make sure you meet the actual photographer before the day. 90% of wedding photography isn't taking pictures, it's herding your family and friends around, so make sure you get on.

- When you meet the photographer, ask to see some of his or her previous work - preferably a recent actual album or two, not just a portfolio of their best work ever. Pick out photos you like and those you don't - it'll help your photographer know what sorts of shots to take on the day.

- £500 won't go far, I'm afraid. You'll probably get a smallish album of 8x8's or thereabouts for that - but they should be by far the best images of the day and should certainly be worth it IMHO. Most photographers won't charge for attending the day and taking the pictures, but they'll require a certain minimum order. Check what this minimum order is.

- If anyone tries to 'wow' you with how sharp an image is, or how bright the colours are, or any other technical aspects: run a mile. Technical excellence goes without saying and is achieved with a bit of practise and expensive equipment. You're more interested in whether you actually like the photos or not. (That may sound obvious now, but do please bear it in mind. A sales rep from one of the large chains tried to fob us off this way with sharp, highly saturated, boring photos).

- It's good that you know what you want - but, when you're looking through sample images, don't be afraid to pick out any others that you like but which don't fit that profile. Your photographer may want to take a few shots in other styles too - don't be put off by this, you might like them after all!

- Friends and family will be taking pics on the day too. Blag copies of everything you can. Leave disposable cameras on each table and gather them up at the end of the day, you'll get a great set of candid shots that'll really capture the atmosphere.

Best of luck, hope the day goes well for you both