Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fcukin cyclist nearly crumpled my wing

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 06:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fcukin cyclist nearly crumpled my wing

Just been out in the Scoob and while moving off from some lights, a cocky teen w4anker cyclist decides that pavements are now cycle routes and the red man doesn't apply 'cos the red man ain't on a bike. I'd moved about 2 feet when I spotted him throwing it sideways in a bid to shed some speed before hitting my wing . Thank God we both managed to stop or I'd be up on a murder charge now. There was a police car sat in a layby 100 yards away who saw nothing
What really infuriates me is that if he'd hit me, I would have had to cover the cost of repairs, as these little tw@ts obviously aren't insured. Not to mention that they aren't licensed, hence not formally qualified for using the public highway. Nor are they taxed. The little **** had no helmet on and was riding dangerously fast on the pavement. If I drove as recklessly in the car and was unlicensed, uninsured and untaxed I'm pretty sure the boys in the white Land Rover with the blue light would have been interested.
The law is an ***. I's about time these dangerous, law flouting gits were banished from the highway.

Oh, and he didn't have any lights. But it was daylight at 4.30, but I wonder if he would have got home before dark, or would he have dismounted and walked when it got dark
Old 23 February 2004, 07:17 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Oh, and he didn't have any lights. But it was daylight at 4.30, but I wonder if he would have got home before dark, or would he have dismounted and walked when it got dark
...of course he would
Old 23 February 2004, 08:48 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

was he an immigrant?
Old 24 February 2004, 10:19 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

chaos will know
Old 24 February 2004, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When I was a lad, riding on the pavement was forbidden just as it is now. If you were caught by a copper doing that then you would get at the very least a good telling off or maybe a summons even.

These days no notice is taken of it regardless of the danger to pedestrians etc. No wonder they are all at it and even believe they have a right to do so too. Also the third party damage matter is pretty important and the problem is that severe injury could be caused to young children and elderly people, as well as anyone else.

Les
Old 24 February 2004, 11:28 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Pushing your bike on the footpath is illegal too...

I am a cyclist commuter and a car driver. Stories like this get me cross. Whereas I try to be courteous to motorists and abide by the highway code, there is always some idiot like this guy making a bad name for cyclists. That said I dont often get much returned respect so don't forget there are bad apples in both bunches. Strongly agree that cyclist should be licensed and possibly even need insurance.

Quick edit to point out I was cross at the cyclist giving a bad name. Just in case anyone read it the other way around!

Last edited by Molds; 24 February 2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 24 February 2004, 11:41 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

These days no notice is taken of it regardless of the danger to pedestrians etc. No wonder they are all at it and even believe they have a right to do so too. Also the third party damage matter is pretty important and the problem is that severe injury could be caused to young children and elderly people, as well as anyone else.
Very valid point Leslie but in current times where the police don't bother about cannabis but prefer to direct their limited resources towards Heroin, Cocaine, crack etc I'm sure you can see the similarity and I would be a bit p1ssed off to say the least to see the police directing their resources towards stopping cyclists on pavements when IMHO their efforts could be a bit better directed.

I'm in agreement with you here but I hope you can see my point. I guess it's just a case of prioritisation
Old 24 February 2004, 11:42 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Cue the usual - lots of SN cyclists defending all cyclists and saying this one is a complete exception.

Funny them how nearly all the cylcists I see ride like complete ***** ignoring the rules of the road, pavement and generally being a danger to themselves and the paying road users alike.

Should all be made to pay to use the road and made to obey the rules at the same time. Like that'll ever happen.

tiggers.
Old 24 February 2004, 11:49 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

tiggers that is very blinkered. on my commute everyday i pass three schools. how many kids do you think fling doors open in front of me? how many mums just pull in no indicators etc? then i pass that and get into the buiness traffic. how many fat merc drivers do you think give a **** about grinding me into a parked car etc etc

its not all one sided. you telling me for each idiot on a bike there is not an equivalent idiot in a car? how many cars:bikes on the road?

i do both so see both sides. i think your stance stance is lop sided
Old 24 February 2004, 11:50 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

oh, and another thing. the first non cobbled roads were thanks to the CTC - a cycling organisation!!
Old 24 February 2004, 11:52 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So tell me, how much would you like your tax to go up in order to fund the administration of a cyclist tax for the country's X million cyclists? Issuing, processing, renewal... and then enforcement... For everyone over 6 years old, or 9, or 12? Then you have the fact that laws for under 18s are different for adults... ID cards for spotty teenagers so you can jail the over 18s for breach of rules but the ones aged 17.5 go through a different court... etc etc etc.

Yes there are ******** around, but ffs THINK.
Old 24 February 2004, 12:11 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cyclists cycling on pavements

Solution is Simple

I lost my grip slightly on this umbrella I am carrying and it just slipped right through the spokes of that cyclists front wheel and he appears to have flown right over the handlebars .....

.... Oh dear
Old 24 February 2004, 12:54 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

There is also a more insidious breed of cyclist separate from the obvious and more common yobs who cycle round traffic lights etc....

I was once told I drive "like a ****" by a respectable looking "beard and sandels" gentleman on his sit-up-and-beg bicycle with leather patches on the elbows of his tweed coat. My crime? I re-overtook him after he had wobbled and weaved his way past a string of cars at the last set of traffic lights in order to hold them up when the lights went green.

I was that surprised it took me a few seconds to work out what this guy's malfunction was. He was obviously a "bicycles were here before cars" maniac who calls cars tin cans, who walks across other peoples land in a purple cagoul clutching a map in his free time and who makes it his business to negatively affect anyone he comes into contact with whilst hiding behind a "moral shield" symbolised by his bicycle.

Watch out for them folks!

Last edited by ajm; 24 February 2004 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Effect noun, affect verb! ;)
Old 24 February 2004, 01:26 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

Was he a "BMX Boy"? because 'BMX boys have a lot of fun'

If you don't believe me watch the film LOL
Old 24 February 2004, 04:23 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Molds
tiggers that is very blinkered. on my commute everyday i pass three schools. how many kids do you think fling doors open in front of me? how many mums just pull in no indicators etc? then i pass that and get into the buiness traffic. how many fat merc drivers do you think give a **** about grinding me into a parked car etc etc

its not all one sided. you telling me for each idiot on a bike there is not an equivalent idiot in a car? how many cars:bikes on the road?

i do both so see both sides. i think your stance stance is lop sided
No I disagree entirely. Yes car drivers behave like idiots, but it 's a relatively small percentage whereas the overwhelming majority of cyclists I see behave like selfish ignorant morons on the road, pavement or wherever else they can get their bike. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm hallucinating or maybe you're the only law abiding cyclist on the road, but I know what I think I see