Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another example of just how backward this country is

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2003, 10:56 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backward compared to Japan.....yes
Backward compared to 99% of other countries......I think not.

there is a bigger picture to be seen other than 'ooooo the Japs have it so we are being ripped off'

Just my tuppence worth
Old 19 November 2003, 11:00 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Cant see the (residential) need for 26mps or the whopping 50mps that could possibly be available but it does show just how poor a deal we get in this god forsaken country - our best being 2mps!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 11/19/2003 11:01:16 AM]
Old 19 November 2003, 11:00 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It's not our country thats backwards, it's just that BT are useless and too profit-focused.
Old 19 November 2003, 11:01 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

--Now, with the latest tranche of upgrades taking the maximum download speed to a blazing 26Mbps - remember, this is still over standard telephone lines, just like in the UK - one can be forgiven for wondering why BT and its competitors are languishing in the slow lane.--

FFS 26Mbps!!!!!

TBO I'm on 1Mbps atm and I cant really see that much benefit from my old 512Kbps line. Websites always seem to throttle large downloads anyway.

But yeah, the UK = backwards nation compared to this
Old 19 November 2003, 11:02 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Remember it's also limited by the bandwidth of the other site. I'm on a 1Mbs link and don't often see 100K/sec from websites.
Old 19 November 2003, 11:08 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The main problem is that while end-user net access is getting cheaper and cheaper, leased-lines prices are static. Suddenly ISP's are struggling because their customers want 10 times the access at less profit than they got from dial-up.

REV (Redundant ISP Technical Manager - The money ran out)
Old 19 November 2003, 11:22 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Ok, fair point, but to compare us and the Japanese is like comparing chalk and cheese.

The Japanese are a stunning race of people when it comes to driving technology forward, most likely down the fact that the normal punter in Japan works twice as many hours and twice as hard as your average UK punter (myself included btw).

Take the Scoob for example, the classic is over 10 years old and still holds its own with modern cars of a similar ilk.

It's not down to the fact that we are being ripped of by BT, I would bet that if you sacked the entire BT staff, imported half the amount of workers from Japan, we would have the 50 meg lines and the little phones you hide under your finger nail within a couple of years.

The fact is we are a bunch of lazy gits, we get too much too easily and then moan when a someone else gets some thing better.
Old 19 November 2003, 11:26 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Also consider whether at this stage you actually need that kind of bandwidth. There are so many potential bottlenecks that I doubt you would be able to use it at the moment. Most of our commercial customers at work use 2 or 4 meg lines to connect entire offices.

In BT's defence, they did offer about 15 years ago to cable up the enitire mainland UK with fibre to the doorstep at their expense (estimated at around £10-£15 billion) in return for the right to maket multimedia services down these lines to our homes. Someone in the government at the time, decided to say no.... Words fail me. With that in place, we too could have such services.

Chris

Old 19 November 2003, 11:37 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

1mbps welcome to the 21st century we get 1.5mbps for our ADSL.
Old 19 November 2003, 12:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Odd how BT are so behind....I mean Blueyonder have had 2Mbs access for ages, but then it is £50. Then compared to the Japs (sorry, Japanease )who offer over 10times that at more than half the price!!

Basically UK companies are milking us for what they can before offering something better - For example, they get you to have sky, then they make you switch at cost to sky digital.... then they offer you Sky+ for "just" so many pound extra [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Compared to many countires we are behind, but by no means we are the worst, but we are one of the most expensive!!
Old 19 November 2003, 12:04 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

The Germans work harder than us aswell
Old 19 November 2003, 12:05 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

i was wondering why some japanese kid was laughing out loud at my 56k dial up....

way overpriced in this country
Old 19 November 2003, 12:05 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL! there is a turn up... but having said that it has taken me almost 2 months to get internet at home.. and then they give me a 1m internet cable to connect with! So now I have to go out and spend another 40 euro for a cable which is long enough.. But THEN I will have fast internet

Neal

(errr, and yes - people who work in or for german companies usually do!)
Old 19 November 2003, 12:10 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

the other thing here is most houses come as standard with ISDN phone lines for about 15€ a month and for another 15 € a month I upgraded to ADSL my isp is tiscali and I pay 19.99 € a month for unlimited access.I pay about 45€ amonth for unlimited internet access and I also have 3 phone numbers on the same line. not bad eh. Come on Britain sort yourselves out.

Oh yeah and I had the aircon refilled on my scoob and it cost me naff all
Old 19 November 2003, 12:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

A close friend of mine works for BT, and the reason that BT have lagged so far behind is because OFTEL screw them into the ground in the name of competetiveness.

BT are well aware of the speed potetnial of ADSL, and that they could offer products greatly improved in speed/cost terms, but cannot because of the nature of their near monopoly and the danger to competitors it poses.

Unlucky for us eh?

Geezer
Old 19 November 2003, 12:27 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im so unsurprised by the whole thing..........
Old 19 November 2003, 12:33 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

BT always blame OFTEL. All they have to do do stop OFTEL getting upset is ensure they offer a competative wholesale product alongside the retail product. Hardly rocket science.

I've worked with many BT engineers and they all think the company is a joke. One guy told me he'd been with BT for 30 years. He said his job is no longer to fix problems, but to prove the problems are not his departments fault.
Old 19 November 2003, 01:38 PM
ChrisB

That's called consumer choice.

If somebody justs signs up for £40 p/m without looking around, more fool them!

I could try to sell cars at 20% more than the garage down the road. Nothing to stop me. If a mug will pay that much, who cares?
Old 19 November 2003, 01:41 PM
ChrisB

I'd also question the need for anyone to have more than 2Mbps of bandwidth at home...
Old 19 November 2003, 01:53 PM
ChrisB

'Cos, IMHO, you need to cost justify these things. I've got 512k broadband at home. I could have 2Mbps if I wanted. All it means is the weekly AV updates download in five minutes instead of three. Not a great loss.

What applications need that much bandwidth?
Old 19 November 2003, 02:03 PM
Haxzer
Scooby Regular

I put in the 2MB Business Service in the house so I could host web servers etc.., the download speed is fine and seems i am in a resdintial area with a business service contention doesnt come in to it really, when ever I do a speed test over the internet I can pretty much guarantee I will get 2MB or just under back.

The only **** thing is even thought I have 2MB down stream, I only get 256K upstream!, which means people downloading from my website can only connect at 256K which is ****.

Possibly thinking of going GHSDSL over EPS9's using DSLAM to our datacentre..., Upstream here we come!

Rgds

Matt
ps, sorry for the geekyness...
Old 19 November 2003, 02:24 PM
ChrisB

There's more to consider than the local loop B20

As the very wise REV has pointed out, you need to upgrade the whole infrastructure. 10Gb switches for Linx backbones don't grow on trees.

Quick Reply: Another example of just how backward this country is