Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Going Rate?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2003, 02:55 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had a preliminary job offer in the UK, but I am not sure what would represent a good package.

The position is as Business Development Director. Salary is between 55 - 60K, plus performance bonuses.

There is no mention of a company car or allowances. My brother mentioned something about "London Rates". There is no mention of Company Credit Card for entertaining, What sort of Holidays during year 1.

I guess my question is.... What is a good Rate for a Director position in London (not living there, but commuting) - and what else should I be asking for so as not to miss the boat?

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 19 September 2003, 03:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

dunno about any of that really but bl00dy ell I wish I was being paid 60k a year.. they could keep a company credit card or car allownace, Id be well happy with that sort of cash
Old 19 September 2003, 03:10 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Without knowing the specifics of company, job decription, etc its hard to say.
Would be par for the course around here in South Wales. My boss is the Materials Director of a medium size site of a large American company.
He has no car but does have the car allowance and a company credit card ( but then agian so do most of us in middle to senior staff jobs ) and is on 55K plus performance.
For London me personally I would want either more dosh or a good bonus structure I think
Old 19 September 2003, 03:15 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

madbrit - I have nothing to offer this thread other than to say I hope TelBoy doesnt read it as he'll think you're showing off.

Good luck in the job fella, S96

Edited to say:

Try and wangle a Spec C or STI9 out of the buggers!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/19/2003 3:16:25 PM]
Old 19 September 2003, 03:30 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Madbrit...where are you from? £60k won't service much of a mortgage near London so I hope you've got heaps of cash somewhere, or get a nice relocation package!
London weighting allowance generally only applies to lower-end jobs which are directly compareable within and without London..so a Nurse for example gets it in London, a company director probably doesn't.
Comapny credit cards are a trivial 'benefit', I gave mine back and use my own card anyway.
Company cars are a tax minefield..you'll need to look into your tax implications to see if it'll be worth it.
Good luck, hope things go well!
Chuck
Old 19 September 2003, 03:35 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Business Development Director
hahaha i've seen a few of these come and go......

basically if you dont "develop" there's a boot and an **** involved.

you're description is too vague!!!

BB

Edited to say, i dont believe a word of your post.

why ask people on here.
you know whats involved in the job, surely??
if you dont, you aint worth 60k mate.

harsh but true ©2003CarpetCleaner

BB

[Edited by beemerboy - 9/19/2003 3:36:53 PM]
Old 19 September 2003, 03:43 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

agree with BB , surely you know what the job entails (i.e. responsibilities and duties) so can gauge if the package reflects that. Is it director in title only or do you have share options, seat on the board. Sounds a reasonable package.

Now can anyone help me? Ive just been offered a job as a **** star, my dick is 12" long and I was wondering if thats average or not? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Trending Topics

Old 19 September 2003, 04:01 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Sounds like some people on here have major problems accepting anything out of their narrow mindset or experience.

Lets put it this way - you're an expat whose been in America for 7 yrs working in whatever field. When you return any knowledge you had about the state of the current market is now outdated. Therefore you look around and as you happen to be member of a BBS whose members often come up trumps with answers where others fail you post a question not unlike this one "the going rate".

You then get some narrow minded trolls who can't believe anyone can be better/worse than/thinks differently to them posting aspersions rather than useful advice. Personally I think it reflects what a narrow range these individuals have. If you haven't got anything positive to say when someone asks for help why do they feel the need to put the boot in?

Anyway back on topic I'd say look at similar jobs advertised on the boards and start your negotiations from there. A car allowance rather than the car is better from a tax point of view for most people. Good luck in getting what you want and I hope when I decide to come back and perhaps feel the need to ask for advice somewhere like this that I don't get some pathetic replies like you.
Old 19 September 2003, 04:05 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

GaryK - being a w@nker and a **** star arent the same thing matey!
Old 19 September 2003, 04:06 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Talking

lol@scooby96

Hit the nail right on the head
Old 19 September 2003, 04:14 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sounds like some people on here have major problems accepting anything out of their narrow mindset or experience.
Or perhaps some people have just had a sense of humour bypass? Just having a joke or am I not allowed being a narrow minded w@nker???

FFS
Old 19 September 2003, 04:18 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

wish i was on 60k! im on a mere 9k! anyone offerin any computer related jobs in manchester? that doesnt require qualifications? im self taught at the stuff i know etc, good with most software and hardware problems, built and fixed many a pc etc i need more money!!!!!! failing that i'l become a rent boy
Old 19 September 2003, 04:19 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Lightbulb

Thing is you may have been joking but there are a lot on here who aren't. When the "humour" is at someones expense without provocation then it's no wonder people think you're being serious.

Anyway I'm sure that good advice would be more appreciated than flippancy. It's very easy to claim sheer malignancy is "humour".
Old 19 September 2003, 04:26 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Cool

GaryK - chill man, I was just 'avin a larf - christ nobody has a sense of humour these days
Old 19 September 2003, 04:27 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

nacro,

yes you're probably right, just had one of those 'what the hell' moments! I would agree with you and say the guy is asking for help, on first reading it I thought it leant toward asking for information that was probably already known or could have easily been found, but slipping in the actual salary figure which may or may not have been necessary.

Gary
Old 19 September 2003, 04:27 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

scoob

sorry mate, lets all chill it is friday afternoon!
Old 19 September 2003, 04:30 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Wink

Calling TELBOY! That should liven the debate up a tad!!!
Old 19 September 2003, 04:35 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Lightbulb

I see what your saying but there is a weird attitude that some people here have. They seem to think that by mentioning figures you are somehow boasting. I encountered it myself last week when posting a perfectly innocent question and received mostly helpful replies but also a couple of sad little trolls and their spite filled comments too (oddly enough one of them posted on this thread too)
I can't quite understand where they are coming from as there would be little point boasting in any case, but even less on a BBS where nobody knows who you are or gives 2 hoots about what you may or may not have. I think perhaps it's because they work in the city where jealousy and a tendency to see the worst in everything prevail. Precisely why I don't work there anymore.

edited to add: these are the type of people you will be working around madbrit!

[Edited by NACRO - 9/19/2003 4:37:35 PM]
Old 19 September 2003, 07:19 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

60-80k would be averagish director salaries for medium sized companies in Belshaft. I would think London would be substantially higher.
Old 19 September 2003, 07:24 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

To all those that have offered some good advice - much appreciated ! To those that have offered "Humour", again much appreciated

NACRO hit it on the head. I have been in Canada (Small city of Edmonton) where my wages do not directly relate to the UK. I earn about the same here as I would in the UK - but 55K in the UK doesnt go far when you think about the cost of living and houses.

To those who dont believe me. Why not ? There are plenty of high paid jobs in the UK well above my salary level. I would be a Junior Director level.

To those who are jealous... TOUGH. I have worked, studied and generally slogged my way through life to be where I am. I am extremely successful, and have been head hunted for this position.

As for understanding the Job description and responsibilities... Give me a break.... I wouldnt consider the risks to the tune of 50-60K if I didnt.

Any further advice on travel to London would be appreciated. I expect to travel daily from Norwich - approx 2 hours each way. This would be to Liverpool Street. What is "Rush hour" on the Tubes?

Many thanks all.
Old 19 September 2003, 07:42 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scooby96, nice to see you on side - and not having a bit on the side
Old 19 September 2003, 07:49 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Rush Hour on the tubes is where you spend an hour rushing & pushing to get on a tube along with the half a million other people all trying to get in the same carriage to stand by the doors !!!!

'Move down into the carriages' and dont forget 'Mind the Gap'

Old 19 September 2003, 08:03 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Congrats on the job & all that, but I couldn't spend 4hrs a day on the feckin rattler - especially to go to work

Old 19 September 2003, 08:07 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MJ< you are right. It is one of the last hurdles I have to cross.

The wages are good, the job is tailored for me, the challenge is exactly what I am looking for.

The sole reason I am coming back to the UK would be to live around family and friends.... in Norwich.

I did ask for an option to leave around 4:00pm so that I can get back to Norwich at a respectable hour. Seems this is not an option. It will mean catching a train at 6:00pm - back in Norwich station at 8:00pm, and arrive through my door sometime around 8:30

The more I think about it, the more it seems a bridge too far - regardless of the other great aspects of the job.
Old 19 September 2003, 08:29 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Stay where you are, mate!

Family aside, what else will it offer you?

4+ hours travelling on a packed, smelly and often late train and then struggling through the **** hole called London doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Wanna swop?
Old 20 September 2003, 09:33 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I saw an ad recently for a 1 bedroom flat for let near Cannon Street for £150pw - save yourself 16 hours travelling a week and rent a small place near to work then get back to Norwich at the weekends.

Edited to say why not get them to put you up in a Hotel for the first 3/6 months whilst you assess the housing situation.

I was sent on business to Bristol for months and they paid for my stay in the Marriot (£120 a night) and my salary is just over half what you'll be getting.

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/20/2003 9:35:50 AM]

Edited again to say - I'm not boasting either so shut the **** up if you're gonna start on me cos I posted a hint at my salary!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/20/2003 9:37:10 AM]
Old 20 September 2003, 09:37 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

madbrit - what do you mean about a bit on the side????
Old 20 September 2003, 09:43 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but I wouldn't do London->Norwich on a regular basis. Currently Bishop's Stortford->London (Strand) takes me about 1.5-1.75 hours door-to-door (train and tube), and it's only around 25 miles! I used to drive Stortford->Ipswich about 1.5 hours each way -- your life will be hell.

Surely there must be something nearer? The travelling costs would be ludicrous anyway -- I don't know what industry you're in but have you thought of putting in a speculative application to Norwich Union (in Norwich, obviously) or BT in Martlesham Heath?
Old 20 September 2003, 09:57 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I agree with Carl here - I would not consider London - Norwich daily, unless I was gonna be able to retire pretty quick. You would be looking at spending maybe 25 hours a week travelling,; too much IMO. It often takes me over an hour to get home from work, and the journey is only 30 miles. Even that gets wearing after a while. I know people do undertake these sort of mammoth commutes, but for me anyway the affect in quality of life is just too much.

(BTW, I'm pleased with the car, Carl. Nice and comfortable on the motorway )
Old 20 September 2003, 11:27 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

ProperCharlie
[There are some speed 'pillows' on the way to one of the kids' schools, and it just glided over them like they weren't there. In the Scoob and the CC you feel like your head's going to hit the roof]

Quick Reply: The Going Rate?