Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Muscle building and Supliments

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2003, 04:59 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob and European Power Lifting Champ.Its not them anyway it cannot be hitting biceps. Funny thing is i was power cleaning with rob Tuesday morning when i got home my triceps felt wiped out too

Dont tell me your going to argue the leg press hits the legs harder

3on the back squat oz chasing 4 plates now hehehehe. Gunning for Damians 250

[Edited by super_si - 9/4/2003 4:59:49 PM]
Old 09 May 2003, 10:06 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Telboy,

I've seen sissy squats using a contraption to lock your lower leg like this

Then I found this on the web.

Is that the way you did them?

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 9/5/2003 10:07:30 AM]
Old 09 May 2003, 10:12 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

hi stefan...

That's the same machine in my gym too. I tried this, but I felt it didn't support by knees properly, so I've avoided using it. Maybe it's just the way I'm using it
a lot of people find this - leg extensions bad for the knees. they didn't cause me problems.. but i didn't do them for long (there are much better quad exercises out there).

it doesn't leave enough time to split weight training over multiple days and provide enough recovery.
ok.. with 2 days a week, i would still do a split. you could either split with push and pull exercises.. or split on upper and lower body.

Warm-up - 10mins bike/treadmill, 30 x press-ups, 30 x sit-ups, 10 x pull-ups
Light Stretching
go REALLY easy on the cardio, if you're going to do it at all. it will deplete your glycogen stores prior to your working out, which is NOT good.

if you feel the need to warm-up like that, fair enough, each to their own... but i tend to warm-up with really light lifts.

Bench Press (3 sets, 8, 7, 6 reps)
Squats
Bent-Over Barbell Rows
Calf Raises
Lat Pull-downs
Deadlifts
Military Press
Barbell Curls
Incline Sit-ups (with weight - 3 sets, 20 reps)
Warm-down - 10 min bike
Stretching
most of these exercises are superb. forget the warm-down tho, in my opinion... get some food in you instead. in fact, if you're capable of doing 10 mins on a bike after doing squats, you're not working hard enough!

lat-pulldowns should be replaced with weighted pull-ups... they're simply a better exercise. i do think you'll have too much volume in there for an intense workout (i do low volume, high intensity personally).. which is why you need the split. try this:

Workout 1 (Push):
Squats (3 sets of 3)
Bench (3 sets of 3)
Military Press (3 sets of 3)
Weighted Dips (3 sets of 3)
Calf Raises (a couple of sets to finish off... higher reps)

Workout 2 (Pull):
Deadlifts (3 sets of 3)
Stiff-legged deadlifts (3 sets of 3)
Weighted pull-ups (3 sets of 3)
Bent-over rows (3 sets of 3)
Maybe some ab work if you feel you need it

the above workouts are almost all compound moves, and keeps the sets low enough that you can REALLY go all out.

Or you could split with an upper/lower body (i.e. get the leg work - squats and stiff-legged deadlight on workout one, and the upper body - bench, mil. press on the second workout).

REMEMBER TO WARM UP WITH LIGHTER WEIGHTS BEFORE YOU LIFT FOR A TRIPLE!!

2. I'm interested in strength over simple muscle mass, so should I stick to 3 sets and pyramiding the weights/reducing the reps
i'd do 1 to 5 reps for strength. only go higher for warm-ups.

3. How do you reduce the muscle soreness? Obviously it's gonna hurt when you start a new routine and I know these will ease off as my body gets used to things, but after doing the squats on Tuesday it's been a nightmare trying to run more than 100m
as you correctly state - your body WILL get used to it. the first time i squatted and deadlifted, i was in agony for days. now it's not bad at all. just remember.. learn the form first before you go heavy. nothing worse poor form.

i would suggest *not* doing squats before a run... keep your workouts as far away from your running as possible.

[Edited by milo - 9/5/2003 10:17:36 AM]
Old 09 May 2003, 12:22 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Si,

Has Gary Taylor got uprated internals? Lower back by Cosworth lol!!

Imagine the calorie consumption to be able to do that in a week. You need a gob the size of a JCB bucket to get the food down.

Si, where the hell to you get all this from?

Damian.

[Edited by SPEN555 - 9/5/2003 12:23:03 PM]
Old 09 May 2003, 01:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Kenny, one more time. Forced reps and strip sets. Gives you high weights/low reps and vice versa. Best of both worlds. You will NOT not grow.
Phew, thats what I've been doing. I usually start with a weight I can shift 8 time and then up the weight till I get to 1 rep - if I have the time I'll then strip back down until I'm back to 10-15 reps.

Also, my gym has a lot of air powered machines (ok, ok I can't spell the 'p' word ) and I often position myself in those and slowly increase the pressure until my arms/leg gives way. I figured this was a brilliant way of doing negative reps and just before failure the amount of resistance is amazing and my arms burn to boot

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 9/5/2003 1:37:53 PM]
Old 09 June 2003, 08:18 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

yeah gutted.

Met Eddy last month.Chatted to him for a bit. Sound guy just how big is he

got asked if i fancied doing his show next saturday but i dont feel confident enough sounded pretty brutal for a novice one.

Its not alot of strength well done. But not many 20years olds aiming for what i want. 4months ago i'd never squatted 1st time i did i was doing 60kg so increase of 90kg in 4months im very pleased. As a lot of people state things dont happen overnight. In my training all i do is big weights for shoulder back and legs. There are the 3 major things compared to a body builder where they are hitting every muscle in the body

Si

[Edited by super_si - 9/6/2003 8:20:33 PM]
Old 04 September 2003, 10:07 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Question

If I'm going to the gym 3 times a week and also playing and training for football would it be beneficial for me to look into taking some supplements. I've been told I should look at Creatine, L-Glutimine and some Whey Protein.

My gym work at the moment is max weight (for me) workouts in an effort to put on muscle gain and gain strength.... generally improve my physique.

Football training is running, short sprints and practice games. I then hopefully get to play 90 minutes on a Saturday.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:18 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

finally a new lifting/building question and a good one too...

the three supps you are considering...

whey
is the fastest acting protein there is. take it immediately after your workout, and it will be digested quickly

creatine
awesome for strength gains. you WILL get bloat from it.. which will go as soon as you stop taking it. load up for 5 days (5g 4 times a day), then maintain for the balance of 8-12 weeks at 5g a day after your workout. off-period should equal on-period. take with dextrose for better delivery.

glutamine
is *supposed* to be anti-catabolic. however.. no tests have been able to prove this. some people swear by it, some think it's useless. bear in mind that most of it will NOT be taken in (it will need to pass thru your stomach and liver which will likely stop most of it hitting your system). if you could inject glutamine, that would be something. but i wouldn't bother with it personally.

the best thing to take? food, and lots of it. eat clean and eat big. take whey post-workout only and maybe first thing... and do a cycle of creatine and see how it works for you (first time i ran it, it gave me such serious strength gains.. i was adding 5kg+ a week to EVERY lift.. and over 12 weeks, that's awesome).

consider a multivitamin too.

as for nutrition, that's a whole other question

good luck
Old 04 September 2003, 10:18 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Need to be careful you don't get ripped off with protein powders. Some can be essentially made up of skimmed milk powder lol! and that costs knack all in comparison. Long time since I looked at these but you need protein powders which source most from egg white.

May have moved on since I last looked at this (circa 10+ years ago!!)
Old 04 September 2003, 10:21 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

> but you need protein powders which source most from egg white.

these will be slower acting. they will be good to bring up the amount of protein you're consuming.. but if you're taking post-workout, you need faster delivery than egg whites.

get whey.. as pure as possible. i use mostly all reflex stuff. if you can't handle the taste of reflex stuff (they don't add much sugar, so it tastes like crap), use prolab.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:22 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Should i take supplements if i'm on the Atkins diet?

(Thought i'd ask before Saxo Boy turns up..)
Old 04 September 2003, 10:24 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Wink

> Should i take supplements if i'm on the Atkins diet?

nah, i wouldnt bother... the copious amounts of saturated fat and high cholestoral will have you losing fat in no time
Old 04 September 2003, 10:31 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks milo.

So with Creatine you have 8-12 weeks on it and then leave it alone for the same period?

With Whey are you just having one drink post workout or is it a case of 2-3 times during the day also?

I've been told to look here The Prolab stuff was recomended to me.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:36 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I found this nutrition advice a while ago for my hill running adventures.

It's aimed at endurance athletes (marathon runners to be specific), but it covers the basics of fat vs carbs as an energy source so good info for the Atkins folk.

The carb-loading advice would help more with your football training.

Stefan
Old 04 September 2003, 10:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

oh and this has some good info on weight training for runners. OK, you play football, but the advice is sound for that and it gives advice on common lower leg problems (shin splints, runners knee) that plagues runners and footballers alike.

Stefan
Old 04 September 2003, 10:48 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stefan, I'll have a read.

On a totally vain point. Do any of you guys who train have a clearly visiable '6-pack' (I await the jokes). I'm just concearned that I could end up with improved muscle gain but end up looking bloated, fat bellied and lose any muscle definition. That is not what I want.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:52 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup, usually. And if i don't, it doesn't take long to get it back, because i've been right through the dieting mill, so i know what i have to do to shed excess weight quickly.
Old 04 September 2003, 11:00 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yes, well it's more of a 4-pack right now

I do hundreds of sit-ups, crunches, hanging leg raises, roman chair, you name it so the muscle is well defined, but I'm still carrying some excess fat around my belly button. I had a caliper skin-fold test and my total body fat is very low, but I just can't seem to shed it off as quickly as I like.

I put the blame squarely on diet and a sweet tooth, so if you put in the effort and east sensibly (I'm starting too) then it's not difficult. Just watch your diet.

Stefan
Old 04 September 2003, 11:06 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Question

Are bacon butties considered to be supplements?

No?

Damn
Old 04 September 2003, 11:07 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry, thought I was in muppets for a minute...
Old 04 September 2003, 11:08 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

you can never hide from your muppet roots, no matter how hard you try
Old 04 September 2003, 11:54 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I did a stint of body fortress creatine for a while, but it made my kidneys hurt

Needless to say I stopped rapidly. You do look bigger though, but thats the water you've loaded into your muscles iirc

I also took weight gain for ages which did nothing but cost money and make me crap a lot !

Eat lots of the right food - supplements should be an addition to a good diet not a replacement.

Paul
Old 04 September 2003, 12:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm taking advice on my diet as well
Old 04 September 2003, 12:22 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

So with Creatine you have 8-12 weeks on it and then leave it alone for the same period?
correct - the box will say how many weeks it recommends (12 for reflex iirc - thats what i use). make sure you load for the first 5 days tho. and eat a lot.. and drink a lot of water. i cant emphasise that enough.

With Whey are you just having one drink post workout or is it a case of 2-3 times during the day also?
at the moment im cutting so i just have one post workout in water.

when im bulking, i'll take in at least 2 a day, sometimes 3, in milk (skimmed). usually one first thing, and one post-workout.. sometimes a third if i can't make a meal.

i am eating at least 6, usually more, clean meals a day in addition to this tho.
Old 04 September 2003, 12:27 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Do any of you guys who train have a clearly visiable '6-pack' (I await the jokes). I'm just concearned that I could end up with improved muscle gain but end up looking bloated, fat bellied and lose any muscle definition. That is not what I want.
yes.. after i cut. and i dont even work out abs directly, ever. having a visible 6-pack is about diet, not training them. everyone has a 6-pack, no matter how fat they are.. most people's are covered in fat tho, so aren't visible.

it varies from person to person.. but essentially all 6 should be visible if you get to single-digit bodyfat. many people see signs when they drop to 12% and below.

yes, while on creatine you WILL look bloated.. and while bulking you will look bloated and flabby. i deal with it and KNOW that whenever i want, i can cut up and lose the fat. remember, for many it is easier to build muscle if you have some (say 12-15%) bodyfat.

you can't build muscle and cut fat simultaneously... so for now build the house. you can paint it later.
Old 04 September 2003, 12:28 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

I had a caliper skin-fold test and my total body fat is very low, but I just can't seem to shed it off as quickly as I like.
how low are you? and what's your diet like? is it just stubborn fat in one place? have you considered yohimburn? or an eca stack?
Old 04 September 2003, 12:31 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

I did a stint of body fortress creatine for a while, but it made my kidneys hurt
use a better brand. and your kidneys probably hurt cos you weren't taking in enough water. i drink at least a gallon a day anyway... and almost twice that when im on creatine.

Needless to say I stopped rapidly. You do look bigger though, but thats the water you've loaded into your muscles iirc
for the most part yes, but that's what muscle is mostly made up of anyway

I also took weight gain for ages which did nothing but cost money and make me crap a lot !
may have been a poor quality one. the fact that you crapped a lot probably means you weren't properly digesting it.
Old 04 September 2003, 12:32 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

I'm taking advice on my diet as well
you mean you have someone helping you, or you want someone to help?

post up your current diet if you want advice on how to amend it.

if you've got someone to help you already, ensure they really know their stuff
Old 04 September 2003, 12:34 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL, these training threads recently have become a nostalgia thing for me, reminding me what i used to be like! Milo, you sound like i used to - 100% wrapped up in bodybuilding; living, breathing, eating, sleeping it!

Don't worry fella, the obsession DOES fade, trust me!!
Old 04 September 2003, 12:36 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Don't worry fella, the obsession DOES fade, trust me!!
the first set of weights i got was when i was about 13, give or take.

im now 25.

it's not gonna fade for me

Quick Reply: Muscle building and Supliments