My first ring trip. Warning very long

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2003, 11:32 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Hi All

Last weekend I went to Nurburgring for the first time with TaviaRS in his “slow black Skoda” I left my house just before 5 in the morning to drive to Tavias so we could get down to the tunnel terminal.

We arrived at the tunnel just in time for a quick drink then we lined up ready to be loaded this gave Tavia time to fit his bits of tank tape to his headlights to work as beam benders

When we get to France to the weather was beautiful. Jon set up satnav so that we wouldn’t get lost and we headed for Cologne.

After 100 miles we stopped in Belgium for fuel and stretch our legs then we were off again

The roads in Belgium were awful and full of pot holes so be careful

Another 100 miles and time for lunch, in the services we spotted loads of bikes headed for the ring it was full of ducatis and the like.

Back on the road again and over into Germany, the roads over there are great fun with BMWs trying to race you and stuff. I think we surprised a few of them on the unrestricted stretches of autobahn though

We arrive at our hotel and check in then it’s off to the ‘ring for a few laps because it was open from 17:30 – 19:30

I was so shocked and surprised when we got on track though there was a new shape M3 that had lost control hitting the armco after racing a mark 2 astra there was a Z3 in a bank nose first with its suspension hanging off the ringmini had gone straight on into the armco and damaged the front corner, the local bikers don’t use their mirrors because they don’t expect cars to catch them up the other things that shocked me were that there was a Belgian scoob driver who thought his car was invincible and he get away with anything and the thing that shocked me most was how quickly the lap goes.

After these few laps we had found a problem with the car that would slow us down for the weekend The larger of the two cooling fans wasn’t working and on the uphill sections the car was overheating and the engine management was limiting boost to 0.1 bar . This allowed us time for Jon to start pointing out turning in points, where to aim for when braking etc and his instruction was excellent. We did 3 laps and went away to think.

We then headed off to get dinner and went to Nurburg to find a restaurant. We went to Lindenhof and the food was excellent and highly recommended.

Off then on the drive back to Cologne to get some sleep.

Next day we had an early start to get to the track ready for when it opened at 08:00. When we arrived we thought we would have a look at the fans and try to fix the problem by either reconnecting the fan if was unplugged or bypass the switch but it now turns out the fan was burnt out so our efforts came to nothing

Out on track Jon was having to short shift most of the lap to keep the engine temperature down but it was still very fast On track I was amazed that the Skoda was so capable against much more expensive machinery such as M3s and Porsches and it was catching bikes all the time too.

I managed to blag a few passenger rides in very interesting cars and went out in a tuned Porsche 911rs which was so well set-up and driven, the car had so much torque that we only needed 3rd, 4th & 5th gears and on the straights we were seeing 150mph

In between rides I went out and spectated for a bit and took the opportunity to take a few photos. While we were out spectating though a couple of English guys in a mark 1 golf GTI had a very serious accident and the circuit had to be shut the driver is now in hospital for two weeks.

While the track was shut we moved to another point to spectate and we went to Hocheichen & Hatzenbach and took some more photos. Unfortunately a biker leaned his bike over too far in front of us and crashed it into the barrier He got up and was ok but he couldn’t move his bike.

I then blagged a ride with a nutter in an integra type r and that was amazing, the car was so quick when driven hard and it was dancing between bends. It was a very scary lap though because parts of the track where others were lifting he was taking flat out and at very high speed I wondered if we were going to make it the end of the lap

My last ride of the day was in a 500bhp Mitsubishi evo 6 Makinen edition and that was an incredible and scary car. We nearly went off the track twice when it ran wide into a right hander and that meant it was off line for the left hander. The car seemed to want to enter bends sideways but then gathered it all up again, came on boost and I felt like the parcel shelf was pulling me towards it

Next up was the most scary part of the day, it was time so don the crash helmet again but this time drive the circuit This was by far my most scary lap of the weekend and I wouldn’t get behind the wheel until I was happy that I knew where the bends all went and this took me about 10 laps as a passenger. I had never driven the Skoda before this point so I get myself comfortable in the pit area and we left the barriers just before they closed for the evening which meant that not much could come from behind. The track just looked so different when I drove it and I took it very easy but still went quite quickly. It was an amazing experience and I found Brunnchen daunting but I can’t explain why

When I arrived back in the pit area it took me few minutes to take my helmet off and get myself together to get out of the car and when I did I was shaking.

By this point in the day my brain had turned to mush from what I had seen and experienced and we headed off to get dinner but as Jon will no doubt you I was so confused and I didn’t know where I was really or what was going on We ended up the same restaurant again and the food was excellent again.

Next day it was an early start again and we arrived at the circuit before it opened. We went for a very quiet lap and decided to put the heating on maximum and the windows down to keep the car cool. This worked and we had a great lap.

Jon then went out with Floyd and that gave me time to grab a coffee and try and wake up.

Then it was out for another lap and a bit more instruction and then it was my turn again. I was a lot happier with this lap but kept going off line to let bikes and fast cars by me and messed up my own line but hey, the lap in my opinion wasn’t too bad but in places I was too slow for bends but that’s better than being too fast

We then did a couple more laps and it was time to leave our weekend was nearly over. We had a nice scenic drive up to and through Belgium where we joined the motorway again and cruised home.

What a great weekend I had and although Jon was disappointed with his car at first we did some very fast laps and I was never scared once by Jon.

Many thanks to Jon for taking me over there and his fellow Skoda driver friend Manny for taking me out to spectate.

Photos to follow when they are uploaded.

Paul
Old 19 August 2003, 11:43 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice report- glad you enjoyed it. My first trip there was a similar awe inspiring experience. Lots of crashes every time I go, Probably why my times are in the region of 9 mins (stopped timing but on the last video I made I did an 8:53). I always err on the side of caution, as it's a fun day for me and I have nothing to prove.

Sorry to hear Achim dented his ring mini though.

Old 19 August 2003, 11:45 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

NACRO

Thanks I had been really looking forward to seeing the mini and saw it in the pits but the only time I saw it on track it ws parked up dented

Paul
Old 19 August 2003, 11:58 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

*starts saving for ring trip*
astraboy.
Old 19 August 2003, 12:12 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Looks like you had a great time.
Old 19 August 2003, 12:19 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool write up, need to go there one day
Old 19 August 2003, 12:50 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Paul, write up!

Shame about the fan, but it sounds like you had fun anyway.

I guess I'll make it there one day!

Old 19 August 2003, 01:13 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Glad you had a good time, shame my car wasn't running right but it was still fun.

Now looking forward to the September trip
Old 19 August 2003, 01:26 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

If I had a pound for every person who came up at the weekend and said "that's not a 1.4 is it???" "the slow black Skoda" generated loads of interest and respect especially from the bikers and that was when it wasn't running properly

Respect

Paul
Old 19 August 2003, 01:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Enjoyed the write-up Paul, glad you enjoyed it. I think you are a brave man to go as passenger with all those guys. You have to admire those F1 drivers some years ago when you have done a few laps though.

Les
Old 19 August 2003, 01:44 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Leslie

Brave or stupid you make your mind up

Even more respect for the F1 than before. I knew it was a daunting place but there are only a few gravel traps that sort of thing just wouldn't happen these days and todays cars are safer

Paul
Old 19 August 2003, 01:49 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "Brave or stupid you make your mind up"

Both in large amounts! I span on my first lap- FWD car in the wet. Made me realise that there is little margin for error- thus my conservative approach to the place.

If you ever get the chance go out in the ring mini- he will do passenger laps, particularly if you buy him a beer or two the night before. I've never been so scared/excited in my life.

Regarding the Octavia's at the ring, one overtook me on the Karrusel(?) (I was in a Scoob) so make your mind up about how fast they are from that! Mind you I stuck to his tail from then on.
Old 19 August 2003, 01:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Nacro

Regarding the Octavia's at the ring, one overtook me on the Karrusel(?) (I was in a Scoob) so make your mind up about how fast they are from that! Mind you I stuck to his tail from then on.
Was that a black one?

Paul
Old 19 August 2003, 02:06 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Or possibly a silver one, possibly a 1.6i on Dutch plates.

Old 19 August 2003, 02:44 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Wink

With special modifications! (And arrives on a trailer!)
Old 19 August 2003, 03:16 PM
NACRO
BANNED

It was a silver one being tailed by a black one- both on german plates- judging by the way they kept up with me on the main straight back to the barrier both were running more than the standard 180bhp!
Old 19 August 2003, 03:18 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs up

BTW max respect due to the Skoda posse! I'm considering a 4X4 model and chip when it comes time for the Impreza to be retired.
Old 19 August 2003, 03:47 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

I was there for the first time two weeks ago and I agree it is the mecca of driving experiences. Once you have done the ''ring'' everything you will ever do after pils into insignificance. Casle Combe on saturday seemed flat and featureless in comparison (although i enjoyed it also).

Glad you enjoyed it matey and maybe sometime a few of us can organise a weekend over there?

As for the 8.53 lap somone was talking about, that is very very quick I feel. If that was your first go I would question it.
Oh and timing yourself isnt a good idea
Old 19 August 2003, 04:00 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Was that Evo you went in a black one?
Old 19 August 2003, 04:04 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

No it was a silver one from Sweden I think. It had blitz everything and even an external wastegate that sounded damn cool the guy had driven 700km to get there.

I can see why you love it over there with all those Porsches. Do you know the tuned yellow 911 old shape with cage, extinguishers etc? I can't remember the guys name but the car was as quick as anything and he stores it nearby because he is not German (but I can't remember where he is from )

Paul
Old 19 August 2003, 04:13 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Hiya Dave how ya doing?
did you go to rally day on saturday?
Old 19 August 2003, 04:25 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paul, I think the yellow 911 was a 964 RS driven by a chap called Thorsten and he lives in Sweden, does that sound about right? The RS is the best car I have ever been in, simply amazing!

Gary, no mate, didn't make it, I had a lovely airport run to Gatwick to make :rollyes: How are you getting on with those pics
Old 19 August 2003, 04:27 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

that's the guy an amazing car and a very good driver. The car went where he wanted it too and turned in beautifully and never slid once
Old 19 August 2003, 05:20 PM
NACRO
BANNED

8:53 isn't quick for an Impreza- BTG they can comfortably manage 8:30 and lower, before they are heavily modded too!
Old 19 August 2003, 05:42 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Nah it was Tors Helge, a Ringer from Norway. He camme out several time with me in mine on the last couple of trips as he was in hire cars. I persuaded him to take Paul round as I thought he'd enjoy doing a lap in a proper car . Think its a 964, deffo a RS, uprated from the 3.6 to the 3.8.

NACRO, agree, 8:53 isn't quick for a Scoob. I mean, even Askew can punt his round in less than that My best BTG is less than that, even with T13 closed.

Old 19 August 2003, 05:49 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Tors - Thorsten, nealry the same.

Old 19 August 2003, 05:51 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

That's the car and what a car
Old 20 August 2003, 10:49 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Another Ring question:

What corner did Manfred Winklehock (sp) flip his car at after it took off over a brow? There are a few brows on the circuit that are big like that but on my video I can't make out which one it was

Thanks

Paul
Old 20 August 2003, 12:50 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Pictures now here @ here for dialup users Thanks to Tavia for hosting them

Paul
Old 20 August 2003, 02:24 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

It's a great place - if a little scary Been there twice and I will go back again. One thing I would say that everyday I've been out there, without fail, there has been at least one serious accident (normally involving a bike). But if you are sensible, then you can have a great time

Chris

Quick Reply: My first ring trip. Warning very long