Car Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2003, 06:45 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

What are some car dealers playing at.
I am not a stupid person when it comes to trading in cars. Do my research and am usually no more than a couple of hundred quid out on what I'll get for a trade in.
Speaking to a dealer today and when he gives me a quote for my car of 7.5k I actually laughed in his face. Told him that I had checked all the valuation books and he is at least 2.5k below what the car is worth.
He then tells me what they would sell it for and the difference is 3k on what they would give me. We all know they have to make money but a 3k difference?? Suffice to say I'll sell privately.
Alasdair
Old 16 August 2003, 01:25 AM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Sounds fantastic eh,this car dealing lark, a nice 3 grand profit for sitting on your ****. Everyone should have a go! but take into account the VAT due on a Gross £3K profit, £446.80, then factor in the pre sale prep costs including service etc, minor paint and trim repairs, valeting, salesmans commission and the ridiculously high costs of running any kind of commercial property these days (especially a car dealership) and it don't look so apealing after all.

Oh and don't forget you have to give the new punter a warranty because you just know he will be back rucking about somthing or other(Possibly major)

Les H
Old 16 August 2003, 02:49 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Yep - I know the problems for the poor old car dealers as one of my family is in the game. And I've heard all the arguments that thy don't really want the trade in so offer a sh*t price. fact of the matter is they will put a 50% markup on the trade in price in the case of my car. That is a totally unrealistic figure,
Why can't they just say get lost m8, we don't want your car.
rant off
Alas

And one other thing - The main reason for the rant is they are offering between 2 - 2.5k less than trade in value from CAP for a mint, low mileage convertible in August. Poor old car dealer.

[Edited by Alas - 8/16/2003 2:54:02 AM]
Old 16 August 2003, 06:55 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

What is a reasonable amount for the dealer to make then,after doing all the prep work,warranty and overallowance for the ****ty px then.????????
Old 16 August 2003, 10:55 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Don't think some people are getting the point of this.

Cap & Glass both say my car is worth between 10 - 10.5k as a trade in. What they mark the car up to after that is up to them as all dealers have different overheads, margins, some give warranties, some don't, some tax the car, some don't etc etc.
This is a large garage chain that relies on these guides (as most others do for valuations) so why ignore them.
Since the first post I've had another salesman from the garage upping the trade in by 1k already. Maybe cause the sun is out
What is getting on my wick is this salesman trying to treat me as a mug.
Alas
Old 16 August 2003, 11:12 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

The problem is that Glass's and Cap are only guides and not the final word, there are a lot of cars that are literally worth thousands less than what the book says, to give you an example, we recently sold a low mileage Legacy estate to another dealer for a mere £3000 BEHIND BOOK!!!!, we didn't give it away either, its just that that was its true trade value.
Old 17 August 2003, 08:23 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Alas,
Do you make a silly offer on something when you are buying in the hope of getting it cheap,most people I know go for a deal.

I have had cars on the forecourt for 10k and been offered 7K for cash,upto me if I accept it or not

Is the dealer not allowed to play the same game or do you not like a level playing field?

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2003, 08:45 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

I see and can sympathise with both sides to this. I canget quite attached to some cars i have owned and when someone makes a low offer, they might as well have insulted my g/f or parents.

Everybody wants a deal wether in the trade or private thats how we make or keep our money. If i am buying i always try to get a deal on most things, you don't get if you do not ask IMHO.

Book prices are only a guide anyway it is worth what the market will stand at that time. I have stood down the Northampton auction with a mate in the trade and seen cars make more than book and less, it is what people/the market will pay.

If you do not like the deal then sell elsewhere. I usually get at least two or three prices then decisde wether i want the hastle and is it worth of selling privte or trading.

Remember - 'profit is not a dirty word'

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 8/17/2003 8:46:44 AM]
Old 17 August 2003, 10:40 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

People always assume that you look for an unrealistic price. As we all do I check the for sales in newspapers and Autotrader etc as well as looking at the guides and this gives you a fair idea of value. I tend to have a low estimate going in so that I won't be too dissapointed if a very low offer is made.
I also appreciate that if not happy then walk away which is what I do. The price you will achieve will vary whether private, auction or trade in but the offer made was a joke. As I said before my family is in the motor trade and when I change a car (at least 2 times a year - but never the scoob) I discuss with them a) what I'll get and b) when to sell.
The garage that made the offer I've bought from before and I was taken aback by the derisory offer. Especially as I have now gone to the dealers either side of them and been given a 9.5k and a 10.2k offer for the car against a similar priced vehicle. Anyway going round in circles.
Car dealers have to make money. I accept this. They will also rely on repeat business and a good name in the area. Does anyone think I'll buy from them again. Even I'm bored by this now
Alas
Old 17 August 2003, 12:07 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

You've made the mistake 'most' people make when trading in a vehicle...

and been given a 9.5k and a 10.2k offer for the car against a similar priced vehicle.
The value of the car your buying doesnt make the slightest difference to the part exchange price.

I have a car on my forecourt i can offer you 12k for your car and its only a £6000 car.......

Oh by the way.... its a k reg skoda worth about £300.

Ok, so the above was an extreme example but it proves the point.

Im interested to know, what car are you looking to part exhange?