Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Alternatives to a home multi-gym?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2003, 04:30 AM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I don't want to hear answers of going to the gym ta muchly 'cos they are fecking expensive over here.

For stamina I have a grass track that I can use for free and will have a MTB soon aswell.
The garage is going to be used to house the cars, so a multi-gym thing is no longer an option.

I have seen advertised a multi-gym alternative which looks quite good, I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called - you can store it away after use and you mainly use your own body weight for resistance on it.
If that is any good then I will consider it as an option depending on price.

In the meantime I was thinking of a dumbell set and a boxing bag for upper body work, leaving the lower body for running and cycling.
Also one of those ab frames (I struggle with normal sit-ups and such due to back pain) for abdominal work.

Would that be sufficient to maintain a toning program? At this point I don't want to venture back into weights as I want to wean my body back into it slowly. I don't intend to take it up fully either, I just want good stamina and fitness level for my refereeing and good muscle tone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15 August 2003, 07:44 AM
kissmyarse
Scooby Newbie

Take up serious swimming, you'll have a great body in 6 months, have superb flexibility and a great sex life. No wear and tear on your joints, great for the cardiovascular system.

And you'll avoid having an expensive but nasty domestic quality multigym spoiling your interior design.
Old 15 August 2003, 08:02 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Wink

How about a fridge full of Stella!
Old 15 August 2003, 11:30 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Circuit training is the best thing you can do to raise stamina, and tone up at the same time.
Just pick about 10 easy'ish exercises that work all areas of your body, using light dumbells if possible. Do about 10 reps of each and then move to the next one without a break. Continue the circuit 2 or 3 times depending on how f**ked you are.

The idea is to keep your bpm at around 130 throughout the whole circuit.
It only takes up about 20 mins of your day, but i find it alot more effective than any gym work/swimming.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 15 August 2003, 11:48 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Try buying a Clothes Horse, you will find that are much cheaper and after the initial 1 week -> 1 month, they are completely interchangeable

I know mine is.
Old 15 August 2003, 12:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Eat less?
Old 15 August 2003, 12:57 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

If you know a welder build your own squat rack

Trending Topics

Old 15 August 2003, 03:28 PM
Little Miss WRX

Unhappy

Eat less? If I eat any less my stomach will be nibbling on itself, I have one meal a day if that at the moment.

Swimming wise, I am allergic to chlorine, always found swimming to be more of a problem than help to my fitness......
Old 15 August 2003, 06:40 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training Circuit Training

I've got this book. Try it if yer hard enough

Stefan
Old 15 August 2003, 10:09 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

SEX SEX & MORE SEX

LOL

I have a home gym thing that uses my body resistance and it's very good

Cost £130 and has 3 rope thing attatched to it so you can do an all over body workout
Old 15 August 2003, 10:36 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Eating less doesn't get you fit though. It just means you lower your bodyfat. Remember when training though, you'll need more than a meal a day. Better to break it down into a few smaller ones - if you're trying to lose weight, then verge it towards lower carbohydrate levels, and more protein. I used to row at international level in a restricted weight category, and worked out all kinds of ways to keep bodyfat to below 5%, but still train 1 or 2 sessions a day. Quite interesting actually, just seeing how little food you can get away with....
Best thing might be to start with fairly gentle endurance work for a few weeks, just to get the general fitness up to a reasonable level. If you go running, or cycling or whatever, a good one is to do a fairly long session, combining a good 10 or so sprints at flat out pace. Really go for it on the sprints, then drop back down to normal pace again. That'll get the fitness up in no time.
It'll also improve your ability to do other stuff such as situps etc, and general stuff.
I'm not convinced you actually need weights. They can be good for tone, in some ways, but so are things like running, as you will notice. If you have access to a rowing machine, that'd be a good start. Boring as hell, as I know very well, but it's good for fitness and tone. Long steady state stuff of half an hour or more is what you want for that.

Remember though, you can't do week after week at high level. Best way to do it is a fairly intense week, followed by an 'easy' week of training. That way, you wont be completely fecked , and not want to do anything.

Have fun!

[Edited by Franx - 8/15/2003 10:41:23 PM]

[Edited by Franx - 8/15/2003 10:42:13 PM]
Old 15 August 2003, 10:51 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good alternative to home gym is to send me the money it would have cost you and then think about me twice a year
Old 16 August 2003, 11:23 PM
STi VII
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Have the other half serve divorce papers on you I have lost 2 stone in just under 3 weeks
Old 17 August 2003, 01:25 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

So, to sum up, the best way of losing weight appears to be having sex in all four corners of a swimming pool?