Fear Of Flying

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2003, 05:44 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Anybody else suffer??
Not sure its an actual fear of flying I have,but more of a fear of coming down a bit lively,generally way short of the Airport.
Never tried it and never will,but think its unfair on my Wife and Daughter,that the furthest we go on a break is Cornwall.

Any suggestions welcomed to overcome my fear,other than the obvious one of drinking Copious amounts of Vodka before take off.

Just the thought of getting on a plane,makes me go a bit wonky.

By the way I dont do Boats either,through the fact of being able to swim like a concrete duck with half a tonne of fishing weights wrapped round its legs.
Old 07 July 2003, 05:59 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

i hate flying but at the end of the day im not planning on letting it stop me from seeing the places I want to see.

dont let it beat you, there are some fantastic places for you to see.

maybe start on a short trip, france, spain something like that, see how that grabs you.

If you find yourself getting all worked up go to a doctor and explain it, they will give you something to take <<<< use this as a last resort or you will only ever fly when your on some form of medication to ease the fear.

alternatively face your fear, i think mine is based on not knowing whats going on, i hate to be a passenger in any way shape or form, so this year im gonna take 3 or 4 flying lessons.

As soon as you are at your destination you will forget all about the flight.

Old 07 July 2003, 06:01 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Take loads of drugs! or, acclimatization through repeated exposure are the only ways forward IMHO
Old 07 July 2003, 06:02 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

As said in the other thread, watch Alive and Castaway.
Old 07 July 2003, 06:08 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

with irrational things like this you need to focus on things like this...

- people fly all day everyday. pilots, cabin crew, etc. millions of people fly each year, you're no different.

- commercial flying is the *safest* form of transport, you are more likely to be injured/killed going to/from the airport by car/train...

although i can say all that, bring a spider anywhere near me and i'll freak out!!!
Old 07 July 2003, 06:14 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I don't have a fear of flying, I have a fear of crash landing
Old 07 July 2003, 06:15 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

i've never been on a plane myself,as i'm a bit worried about flying. Ray's always on at me to get a passport,but i won't coz i don't want to get on a plane!!silly,i know,but that's me. he, on the hand has been on one plenty of times,when he's gone abroad,he's never encountered any probs.i love cornwall personally,very picturesque and lovely when it's sunny!
i will face it one day though,perhaps when the kids are a bit bigger,i can't be bothered struggling with a baby and trying to remember everything!!!!!!!!

from donna..
Old 07 July 2003, 06:17 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Your ganna snuff it one way on another, and falling out the sky at 30,000 is definatly one way to do it!
Old 07 July 2003, 07:17 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanx for the warm words.
Oh well,Cornwall ere we come
Old 07 July 2003, 10:50 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

There are fear of flying courses run by (Used to be BA) certain airlines. They take you step by step through each part of an air journey and are excellent. Its also very heartening to realise that there are others who are ten times more scared than yourself. Check on google for fear of flying courses.
Good luck, I love to be up there in the clouds, and although I empathise with you I feel that this type of fear is not insurmountable, hope you get some success.
Old 08 July 2003, 07:21 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

I hate flying but for me it's a control thing, as in I'm not in control of what happens. I understand the principles of how aircraft fly so I don't worry about how a big aluminium tube with a couple of wings bolted on stays up in the air.

The thing that people always say to me is that you have to remember that the crew don't want to crash anymore than you do so try and relax as much as possible. Last flight I took was to Dallas and I ended up talking to one of the stewards for a while who was telling me about how much they enjoyed turbulence because it made their job more interesting - for some reason his blase attitude made me relax quite a bit.

At the end of the day flying is quite an alien feeling as most don't do it very often - just gotta look at it as an experiene and enjoy it as much as you can.

Phil
Old 08 July 2003, 07:30 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I'm scared witless of flying too, the not being in control gets me, together with a fear of the time it would take from an 'incident' to actual impact (and death).

I find that overdosing on Diazepam does the trick nicely
Old 08 July 2003, 08:26 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

MooseRacer:

There is a Japanese book (the name escapes me) of poems written by passengers on a 'plane that was freefalling from 30,000 feet. They attached the poems to themselves before they died.

Apparently if the engines just stop (for whatever reason) it takes quite a long time to "glide" to your death.

That certinaly freaks me. Although I fly every other week.

Steve.
Old 08 July 2003, 08:49 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
If an engine lets go, the Airbuses and Boeings of this world need to loose height straight away, and thus nose down to keep the speed up. If they don't the thing will stall very quickly, because the air is so thin.

Only last week, I was told the stall speed of a 747 at FL360 is ~400mph.

Scary stuff.
Old 08 July 2003, 08:50 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have been on the BA fear of flying course at Manchester Airport. I was never really bothered about flying until a near miss at Chicago's O'Hare airport back in 1997. I won't go into details but thanks again to Captain Richard Westray and his excellent crew for saving the lives of 320 people with their quick and professional actions. BA paid for the course as part of my rehabilitation as I was such a wreck and needed to fly for business as well as pleasure.

The course was slpit into 3 sections as follows: -

1) Technical aspects of flight, aeroplanes and the physics element. This was really helpful, as I was suffering from the classic 'Out of Control' syndrome.

2) Relaxation techniques. Again this was useful. Remember, no matter how hard you try you cannot maintain a state of panic for more than a few minutes at a time.

3) A 40 minute non-stop flight over the Irish Sea and back (Looks weird on the departure board as destination is given as Manchester ) This was probably the most beneficial part of the course as we had a FULL running commentary from the moment we boarded to the moment we disembarked. They explained every single noise, bing, bong, bang and temperature change. We also got a flight deck visit as well. Truly an experience I won't forget.

After the course I felt much better but certainly not 'cured'. I started taking chill pills called Melatonin before getting on planes. This helps to relax you and may even send you into a sleepy state. One thing to avoid at all costs to help relax you is alcohol (after the first couple).

Well time is a great healer and I would now only consider myself a wary flyer as opposed to nervous.

If you want any more info let me know.

Cheers

TONY
Old 08 July 2003, 08:54 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
My father is an extremely nervous flyer- his doctor gives him tranquilisers if he has to fly, he takes them before he has to fly and has no problems (and a stiff drink)

Of course doing a "BA" isn't always the best plan but it has to be worth a try.
Old 08 July 2003, 11:34 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I hate flying but love going abroad and if i could drive everywhere i would, i get the shakes, cant keep still, tried calming stuff, but if you want to go to Italy, Greece the Caribbean and the like you've got to fly, so even tho i hate it ive given up and just think there are hundreds of planes up there every minute so they cant be that bad, i hate it but sod it, you could be in the air only a couple of hours and places like Italy are worth every minute of flying, fear or not. Get in one, you wont regret it. It still bothers me but not as it used to cos for the past ten years of flying im still here and all that shaking and nerves were for nothing. I need a cig now (i gave up 7 years ago an all, thanks)
Old 08 July 2003, 01:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
My only fears about flying is if I end up sitting next/infron/behind to a hyperactive little brat

Same applies to some fat-4rsed person whose wider than two seats

Still It's more of a hatred thing for me - Pretty much about everything on them.

I'm yet to sit on an airplane with comfortable seats that don't cause my back to lock up within 2hours (on a flight to Oz). You can get confortable car and coach seats that are smaller and more comfortable so why the crappy seats?

The fact That I'm almost guarenteed to catch a cold off someone - how often do they change those anti-bacterial filters on the damn things - never is probably the likely case.

The food sucks

And I'm yet to be able to sleep on one - even direct long hauls to Oz and a few tamazapans (when you could still get them )

In this day and age airplanes could be a hell of alot better.

Old 08 July 2003, 02:37 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

soup,

you should watch the serious about plane crashes called black box! No seriously its a program that I find very interesting but one thing really stood out at the end of the program where the narrator said:

'If you flew every day statistically it would be 26,000 years before you were involved in a crash....and then you'd probably survive'

Of course you could be unlucky....
Old 08 July 2003, 02:45 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

just reading your handle soup Ive just dug out 'Im free' for a quick whirl...

[dont be afraid of your freedom]
Im free...to do what I want, any old time

Gary

Old 08 July 2003, 03:47 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Talking

If the plane were to crash,knowing my luck it would crash in the sea and I would survive,Wooo Hooo I would think,only to fekin drown coz I cant swim.

Thats my sort of luck.

I will sort it one day though,maybe start off on a short flight.
Old 08 July 2003, 03:58 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I fly so often that BA have given me a gold medal to put on my luggage

Luckily I absolutely love the things - phenomenal feeling being part of that technology. Fantastic to be able to pop a temazie and wake up in Thailand after 10 hours sleep!

Embrace the safest form of transport and thank your lucky stars that we CAN fly, do business with anyone anywhere and enjoy the world!

I am MUCH more scared of Rollercoasters - now THAT is a logical fear

D
Old 08 July 2003, 03:59 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oi dave1
soup dragon ha, more like an old scaredy cat with no teeth
Old 08 July 2003, 04:05 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I too love to fly - especially if there's a bit of "chop" to make it interesting

If fact the only thing I don't like about it is the airports / baggage / transfer hassles at the end of a holiday.

Not much help to you I know.

Hopefully you'll choose to face up to your fear one day soon and enjoy the full benefits and joys of international travel

Happy trails!
Old 08 July 2003, 04:30 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Smile

...at Care
Old 08 July 2003, 04:36 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Soup Dragon,

If you want to treat you family to a holiday abroad, why don't you go through the Channel tunnel and then drive around Europe. If you tell me you are scared of Tunnels then your a wuss.

Craig.
Old 08 July 2003, 04:45 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Wink

No probs with tunnels,but the thought of spending hours driving with the missus,banging on about speed limits and fekin curtain designs is too much to contemplate.
Plus they all drive on the wrong side of the road..Wierdo's

Maybe thats just the push I need to get on a plane.
She will ave to sit in the middle,due to weight distribution,and I can hide in the Sh*tter,til it lands.

Sorted.

I knew I could find a way in the end.Cheers

Old 08 July 2003, 04:57 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Glad you got it sorted mate LOL
Old 08 July 2003, 07:10 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why is she sittin in the middle,will she be holding your gypsie earrings,11 bar keeper and sovs in case you crash and have to doggy paddle to benidorm
Old 08 July 2003, 08:26 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Quick Reply: Fear Of Flying