Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rowntrees Fruit Gums.

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2003, 11:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was in the Newsagents today and had an urge for some sweeties, dont normally buy them (sometimes pinch the kids though) and I saw something I havent noticed for years, I may have even mentally blocked them out following several unpleasant experiences with them.

Nevertheless I thought why not, I have a dentists appointment booked next week and should it all go wrong it can be sorted then without having to wait for an appointment. So I get my Fruit Gums and get outside and peel back the wrapper and pop one in my mouth, ready for a battle, anticipating the frustrating feeling of having your teeth welded together but it never came, there was no feeling of being completely helpless and along for the ride, the first one was fairly chewy by normal standards but nothing compared to the 1980's version which was like Fruit Flavoured Araldite, popped two in at a time which would have been unthinkable in the past and would have probably resulted in hospitalisation but again just a slight grind of the Molars and it was all over. I bet back then kids were taken to child psychologists and speech therapy only to be told that there was nothing wrong apart from 7 or 8 molecules of Fruit Gum hampering normal speech and interaction.

In the past I remember kids with blocked noses losing conciousness having dared eat a Fruit gum without the full complement of available nostrils to breathe through in the seven or so hours it took to dispatch a packet of the evil B4stards, I do think that Fruit Gums were conceived by scientists as a method by which to test the breaking strain of the human eating equipment, more often than not something would fail, be it an actual tooth, its root and in extreme cases even muscles snapping or bones failing such was the force exerted by the early Fruit Gums, obviously now that the recipe has been sold to Boeing who uses a line of 30 or so Black Fruit Gums (Slightly Chewed) to hold the wings on a 747 we get a pathetic shadow of its former self version that is basically a naked Fruit Pastille with a 10% increase in effort required, no longer will we stand in the Newsagents sweating, deciding whether we had the moral fibre (and spare time) to undertake a packet of these Industrial Adhesive/Confectionary hybrids.

Just think, our kids will never have the sheer bright eyed wonder and joy of watching the dog eating a Fruit Gum, it brings a tear to my eye.

Still at least Thorntons still sell the 'Special Stuff' toffee which is almost as good, picture if you will, and elderly Chiuwauwa
dog happening on a inch sqare piece that had 'fallen' on the floor one Christmas Eve, myself and my brother watched this spectacle and nothing has ever amused us or come close since, he finally cleared his pallatte on Feb 13th.
Old 01 July 2003, 08:31 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our dog used like them too - the picture of her tongue slapping around trying to avoid her gnashing teeth and dislodge the offending fruit gum is indeed a fond memory .

Also seem to remember competititions to see how many fruit gums you could take in one go - now that got messy
Old 01 July 2003, 08:55 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I'm salivating now, thinking about them.
Work can wait. Must have fruit gums.......
Old 01 July 2003, 09:27 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

And I thought it was just me who treasures memories of torturing my poor defenceless trusting pet

She always reminded me of the shark chewing on the scuba tank in Jaws
Old 01 July 2003, 09:44 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

LOL,they not only used to make Fruit Gums from the strongest substance known to man, but they textured the top to provide as much surface area as possible to bond with your teeth, or if you were unlucky, bond with one of your fillings.
Old 01 July 2003, 08:12 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar experience a few months back and was sorely dissapointed by the namby-pamby softness of the current Fruit Gums, perhaps they should bring out "Friut Gums Classic" for us old timers.
Old 01 July 2003, 08:33 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

yeah they used to be great...favourite sweets...then they went soft.
Probably some euro dirctive
Old 01 July 2003, 08:37 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

I think they actually started using fruit juice, rather than cyanoacrylate.
Old 01 July 2003, 08:56 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

BAN THE GREEN ONES
Old 01 July 2003, 10:56 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Damn write, I thought exactly the same thing few weekbs back.
Old 01 July 2003, 11:03 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Whatever happened to the blue ones they started putting in the tubes in the lates 90s?

They were almost as nice as the red and orange ones.
Old 02 July 2003, 01:39 AM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Na, if you wanted instant dental treatment, it was the good old Texan bar......And if you ate it straight from the fridge, you were a double hard B******d.
Old 02 July 2003, 08:00 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive avoided Fruit Gums for years for the very reason of filling extraction, only to find out theyre now soft!!

Its like the good old Curly Wurly

If you bit into it you'd have to pull the wurly away from your face to snap the caramel and there was always the potential for shrapnel wounds for anyone standing within a 5 metre radius as the choclate flew in all directions a la Texan bars, the missus bought one on Sunday and I'm like your'e not eating that in the scoob think of the damage you made with a twirl (choccy ground into the passenger seat) anyway she couldnt wait and sat there all tense hand cupped trying to catch any fying choclate but nothing they have gone all soft and noncey!! a finger of Fudge is tougher.

Old 02 July 2003, 08:59 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

J4CKO, that is the funniest thing I have read in months and your absolutely correct about all of it
Old 02 July 2003, 10:34 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Just bought a pack and they arent as soft as i imagined they would be, still plenty of room for dentistry but the shape has changed and theyre not polished like they used to be.
Old 02 July 2003, 12:57 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
LAMO @ jacko

I too remember the sheer dedication it took to eat these - mind you they lasted ages though - maybe this is why they made them soft - you can now eat a packet within a week & therefore buy more