DFS furniture retailers

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2003, 10:54 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm going to try www.sofasofa.co.uk

Well priced, and my mum has had one of their sofas for years. Its lasted very well. They come as standard with a 2 year warranty and look pretty good/solid.

[Edited by polarbearit - 7/3/2003 10:59:02 AM]
Old 27 June 2003, 01:53 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

anyone bought a 3pc suite from DFS

thinking of buying one tomorrow - never heard anything good or bad.

cheers
Old 27 June 2003, 01:59 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My mate is an upholsterer and went for a job with DFS, apparently they have a policy of not opening up the back of their sofas in customer homes due to the poor construction. All this is hearsay of course and is alleged and not proven.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I haven't bought anything from them. But I often think that they have an interesting business plan: Cheap furniture with 4 years interest free credit and nothing to pay for the first year. Wow.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the above post if true...

Steve.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:05 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

You always get what you pay for !!
Old 27 June 2003, 02:06 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

always the case - get what u pay for I suppose.

confirmed what I thought

cheers chaps
Old 27 June 2003, 02:07 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I went there once to look for a table. Asked the guy what wood it was as I couldn't tell if it was cherry or yew.

"Tree wood mate"

We left.

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2003, 02:42 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've bought sofas off them twice and never had anything to complain about , maybe i've been lucky but i'd use them again !
Old 27 June 2003, 02:54 PM
ChrisB

I'm about 5 weeks into a 8 to 10 week order for a new sofa, chair and footstool.

I spent a whole day trogging round every furniture store in town when I was looking. DFS, Courts, Coles, numerous 'authentic' Italian outlets etc. Over the next month I visited a few more places like Brian James (huge warehouse in Cannock, Staffs) and Alan Ward.

Didn't find anything which was in the same league as the one I've chosen for comfort. That includes some Italian designer ones at £5000+

My folks previous sofa from DFS lasted at least 13 years.

Pay your money, take your choice.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:58 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Question

Has anyone ever paid Full price from the likes of DFS, Courts or the Like.

Looked at something about easter which was in the biggest ever sale offer must close monday.

The same place is still running the same kind of advert.

Do they have a little shop in the outer hebrides selling these sofas at full price for 6 months to make it legal?
Old 27 June 2003, 03:03 PM
ChrisB

Yup, my model of sofa didn't make the 'sale' in a two month period from first finding it to ordering it.

Some friends bought the same model last year and they never saw it discounted either.
Old 27 June 2003, 03:14 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

I have 'intimate' knowledge of DFS... Used to work for them.

Their goods are WAAAAY over priced but they never discount. This is so they can afford the interest free credit which you will end up using. Also, they will sell you castors and fabric treatment at extracost ON TOP of the already high price of the sofa!

However, they are the best of a bad bunch....
Mak.
Old 27 June 2003, 04:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

DFS: a bit like the curate's egg: good in parts.
SOME of their stuff is excellent, and some is crap. Have a really good look at whatever you want to buy, don't be afraid to ask for it to be turned over, give it a bit of hammer, see if it creaks, rocks etc.
Yes, they do try to sell you treatments, and extra castors, but when they do, the profit is shared, the guys at the warehouse get extra for fitting/treating.
Your new suite is treated well before it comes to you too, well wrapped, looked after, handled carefully during transit etc, and all are checked on delivery from the factories, and rejected if the slightest mark, or fault is found. this does cause some friction, as some come from abroad, and the drivers do NOT want to take them back!
The only thing I'd say against them really is that the people who work for them aren't on a very good wage, and are expected to work VERY long hours of overtime at time and a third, to make a decent take home pay.
Oh and the racks that the suites stand on in the warehouses need redesigning to get the heavy sofas on the bottom, instead of the top: Lifting some of those 4 seaters, even without the cushions, is real hernia work!!
Alcazar
Old 27 June 2003, 04:52 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

We bought our sofa from them, and they were fine. Delivered when they said they would. I wasn't entirely happy about the seating position on one side (you leant to the outside), so they sent someone out. He came, listened to what I had to say, explained that was how they are made....and then arranged to come back and 'mod' it so that I was happy. So,
apparently they have a policy of not opening up the back of their sofas in customer homes due to the poor construction. All this is hearsay of course and is alleged and not proven
isn't strictly true. He opened the sofa up to add more foam to firm it up for us. He certainly had more appointments, so I don't think it was a one off.

We knew it wasn't going to be the greatest sofa in the world, but it did for our needs. We paid for it straight away, and they didn't try hard to sell a bunch of extras.

All in all I've experienced good customer service from them.

[Edited by V5 - 6/27/2003 4:53:57 PM]
Old 28 June 2003, 09:06 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

We looked at DFS stuff a couple of years ago; liked what we saw, but didn't want the interest free etc etc. We also didn't want the fancy feet, the fabric treatment etc etc. We almost had to dig our way out of the showroom, then dodge the searchlights, machine guns and the tracker dogs. God when they get you in there, the salesmen are determined to make a sale!

In the end we bought from Sofa Workshops - saved £1100 on the deal and were able to sit on the suite we wanted, in a no hassle environment, at one of their showrooms in Leeds.

DFS? We just take the p!ss out of their adverts!

Cheers
Old 28 June 2003, 09:27 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

Pete left and went to http://www.ligne-roset.co.uk/

This explains the Scoobysport furniture
Old 28 June 2003, 09:50 PM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

DFS is fine if you are Blue Collar and live in a house built after 1914, and failed to get into university. Rather like Barrats and Wimpey houses, Harvester Restaurants and, indeed, dare I say it, Subaru Imprezas.

Old 29 June 2003, 01:53 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

"DFS is fine if you are Blue Collar and live in a house built after 1914, and failed to get into university. Rather like Barrats and Wimpey houses, Harvester Restaurants and, indeed, dare I say it, Subaru Imprezas."

So how do we fit into the mix?

Liked what we saw in DFS, but hated the setup so bought elsewhere. White Collar I guess, but live in a house built 12 years ago. Went to a well known Scottish University (and my Wife's an Oxford graduate), would never eat in a Harvester type restaurant, but own two Imprezas (our 4th and 5th).

And there was me thinking I was a snob...

[Edited by Toonman1 - 6/29/2003 1:53:49 AM]
Old 29 June 2003, 09:43 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

<<<<<DFS is fine if you are Blue Collar and live in a house built after 1914, and failed to get into university. Rather like Barrats and Wimpey houses, Harvester Restaurants and, indeed, dare I say it, Subaru Imprezas.>>>>

Attention!!!! Snob alert!! Attention!!! Snob alert!!!

Get real mate[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Alcazar

Old 29 June 2003, 10:53 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Have never even been in a DFS showroom so can't comment from personal experience but there was a piece on Watchdog a while back about them with disgruntled punters and a guy that they brought in as a an expert commented that his 4 year old could build a better piece of furniture. Basic construction was IIRC chipboard very badly put together and it would sag very quickly - however this may have changed and their goods are absolutely fine now !
As has been said, you pays your money ...
Old 02 July 2003, 11:15 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

game in our household is guessing what DFS stands for..

Dreadful fekkin sofas
Dross furniture store
Dodgy finance setup
divans for scumbags
Dead flimsy sh*te

and so on

nice cheesy commercials though

snob ? moi? never

Paul W

Old 03 July 2003, 08:55 AM
DAC
Scooby Regular

had a look - nowt we liked

bought one from 'land of leather'

seems ok

will see when delivered
thanks for replies
Old 03 July 2003, 09:30 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

They have two kinds of furniture -
1. The stuff that makes it into the 'Sale'..... This is low grade fall to bits uncomfortable stuff that gets you into the showroom to have a look. Don't buy it under any circumstances.

2. Stuff that never ever gets discounted - In my experience this is usually good quality. (I am basing this experience on two suites so it may be wrong)
We got a 3 piece with two recliners about 8 years ago. Paid for the 5 year warranty. After 4 years one of the recliners started clunking as you reclined. Wasn't a big problem but we reported it to them. A guy in a suit shows up, takes it to bits and rebuilds it perfectly. 4 years later it is still fine. Imagine Subaru doing this for a rattle in the dash ... While he was there he noticed a damaged leather panel where wifey had cleaned something with a baby wipe. He told us our extended warranty also included accidental damage, and the panel could be repaired but he would have to remove it and bring it back in a couple of weeks. He un stitched the panel, replaced it with one of a similar colour and disappeared. Two weeks later he came back and replaced it so you would never know the difference.

2nd suite is about 6 months old now... possibly the most comfortable thing in the world