Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

From Student To Unemployed Bum :D

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 04:19 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I've just had my final university exam towards my Software Engineering degree! I can't believe it really, after 18 years in education and 4 years of university I'm finally free! I feel like a huge weight has been removed from my shoulders and replaced by a slightly smaller one.

Now the worrying wait begins to see what I get, does worrying ever stop?!?

So guys, anyone need a budding Software Engineer? Salary negotiable!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 05 June 2003, 04:26 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Congrats, Welcome to the Real World

Oh, and: Get a job, hippy
Old 05 June 2003, 04:31 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Cheers dood I'll look forward to my future at Tesco's

[Edited by Defiant STI - 05/06/2003 16:31:52]
Old 05 June 2003, 04:48 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the Matrix more like
Old 05 June 2003, 04:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's all downhill from here. Enjoy!
Old 05 June 2003, 04:53 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments guys, should I slit my wrists now or later
Old 05 June 2003, 05:00 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Later, gives you time to choose the right knife

Well done anyway!
Old 05 June 2003, 05:12 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

It won't be long before you realise that your qualifications stand for next to nothing in todays job market. What people are looking for these days are experience, experience, experience.

[Edited by rik1471 - 05/06/2003 17:13:35]
Old 05 June 2003, 05:23 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers ScoobyJawa

rik1471 I have no doubt that your right but I have a years industrial placement, 2 good references and hopefully a decent degree so with a bit of luck I hope i'll get something.

Ideally I want a graduate training position so I can gain the experience that is so widely regarded as valuable. All I need is a chance to prove myself

Old 05 June 2003, 05:25 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Just remember the classic phrase and you'll be ok.

Do you want fries with that?

Alas
Old 05 June 2003, 05:27 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

And here I was practicing "Do you want to make that a large one"

Oh well, you live and learn

[Edited by Defiant STI - 05/06/2003 17:27:48]
Old 05 June 2003, 05:30 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

First thing I did after my final exam was go to the Job Center and sign on. Had to really as it was summer and there was no way I wanted to waste it working. Funny thing is that they had so many students signing on at the time they had to talk to us 8 at a time.

Those were the days!
Old 05 June 2003, 05:36 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I totally agree with rik1471. I finished uni a year ago and im still looking for full time work.

Do go down the job centre and sign on and you'll get £43 a week
Old 05 June 2003, 05:45 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Crap, nice to know all this hard work is for nothing.

Ray_il, what degree did you get then? I have friend's in a similar position but they did media studies and Multimedia design which aren't as technical as my choice.

The depressing thing is I only went for this degree because I thought it had good job opportunities attached to it, booger.
Old 05 June 2003, 05:48 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

defiant sti - ahh, now you join me

yup, i'm starting to apply for jobs now but all my best mates that graduated last year still don't have jobs (geography, history, english degrees, etc). i was hoping that computer science would be more vocational but it's now a waiting game...
Old 05 June 2003, 05:53 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

midget1500, lol, groovy.

Fancy setting up an IT company with me If you can't join 'em, beat 'em Have I got that right?
Old 05 June 2003, 06:26 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Another option m8
Round up a crowd of kids(dirtier the better), pop into the local benefits office and tell them in broken english you've just arrived in Britain with the wife and kids from wherever and you'll be sorted- house, free electric etc.:d
Alas
Old 05 June 2003, 06:26 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

I am currently studying for a degree part-time with OU.

currently stuck in a dead end job - and every time I see a good job advert it says
'graduate or equivalent'
so I see it the opposite way.

its now costing me a packet - and I have next to no free-time.

you did the best thing getting the degree before starting work.
although experience counts - they can never take the degree away from you.

keep applying - and good luck
Old 05 June 2003, 06:39 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

LOL@Alas!

DAC, thank you for your support That really cheered me up! Goodluck with your degree too. As long as you put the work in you cant go wrong!
Old 05 June 2003, 09:21 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs down

Same as DAC, I want to move into something I want to do and it is all.....we need graduates.....oh and preferably five years experience as well.

I can't get any decent courses from the OU over here in Aus and to study as an international student is in costs!!!!

My qualifications from the UK basically mean FA over here aswell, so I have to start again......
Still, the only way is up.
Old 05 June 2003, 10:05 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, the good time are gone and your into the world of work, oh well, Im sorry to hear that

he he, well we've all been there, though I have to say you may have a harder time than someone did 10 years ago.

Its tough getting IT jobs at the mo, I am an IT grad with 4 years experience, I have a crap job but it pays quite well so Im sitting tight for a while.

All Id say is be persistant, be positive and dont let the b4stards get you down. If you really want something then you will get it, remember - at the moment you can pretty much go and be or do anything - thats a great position to be in, the world is your oyster so go and eat it
Old 05 June 2003, 11:55 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Its all poo poo. They want fresh graduates but with at least 3 years experience. most grads have 1 yaer.
I did industrial product design and walked way with a 2:2. spent the first two years working my butt off then messed around on my finial year stupid me. LOL

tried my best to find a job b4 the next batch of grads walk out of uni but that didnt work
Old 06 June 2003, 07:36 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Get of your *** and get a job you lazy BUM, dont you know my sister is an expensive girl to keep

Nice one mate hope they all went well.
Old 06 June 2003, 08:40 AM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Wink

Little Miss WRX: Sorry to hear that But you seem to be the type of person that won't let it get you down. Goodluck with your studying, I'm sure you won't need it!

ADP: Cheers mate for the comments. I've had a quick look around and there seems to be a few opportunities. I think i'll register with every agency in the local area and sit and wait for a few weeks.

Ray_il: Sorry to hear that mate I did things in the reverse order, didn't get much done during my first 2 years (although I did have EC's) and have worked my *** off over the final year. I owe it to my industrial placememt. I learned so much and left with a good working ethos which has helped over the past year!

Daz WRX: Checky g*t. Yep I know your sister is expensive to keep, but she's worth it, just don't tell her I said so

[Edited by Defiant STI - 6/6/2003 8:41:07 AM]
Old 06 June 2003, 08:52 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Defiant - Bad news - Its all worry from now on. I would take a chance to kick back and enjoy myself. Once you get a job you will get a nice car, a mortgage, a few debts etc etc. Then you need the job to keep control of the debts. Then you start worrying what would happen if you lost your job. Then you work harder to make sure that doesn't happen. The boss notices and you get a promotion. You have loads of spare cash so you move to a bigger nicer house with a bigger mortgage and a nicer car.... you start worrying what would happen if you lost your job. You start working harder.............

When I was a student I could happily live on £20.00 a week. (A loaf of bread and 38 cans of Harp )

Now I need £800.00 a week just for basics. Some of the guys I work with earn 200k+ and are still broke at the end of the month.

The message is - this will be you last chance not to worry about something. You will get a job doing something, so enjoy being a bum for a couple of months

Old 06 June 2003, 12:56 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

fast bloke is totally right. spend your time having fun now. Do jet down the job centre and sign on, it also allows you to work partime and get dole money.

I took 6 months off after uni then got a temping job and really missed the free time. Working life sucks. Get up go to work, come home, cook, wash then bed. Do this 5 days a week. how cr@p is that?
Old 06 June 2003, 01:13 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Cheers Defiant, I am keeping my chin up.

I am using the time to explore myself a bit more and take a break in order to get myself better.
I just need to work out what the hell I want to do, might take a psychology degree, they're pretty versatile.
It's just a pain in the *** when I look for what's around, ask and discover that nothing I have is acceptable......management certificates, H&S certificates, all a waste of time and money it seems. They all preferably need to be Australian qualifications which leaves me back at square one. If they aren't too bothered about them being British, then nine times out of ten they don't have a clue what level they are anyway!
I even had to resit my refereeing qualification despite having refereed for nine years in the UK with certificates and proof from my old Ref's Assoc!

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 6/6/2003 1:16:07 PM]
Old 06 June 2003, 01:14 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Working life sucks. Get up go to work, come home, cook, wash then bed. Do this 5 days a week. how cr@p is that?
Highly crap

so i didnt do it. thats living to work- not working to live.

I bummed for a while, buying and selling car parts for small amounts of cash, started djing for free- always loved it and relevant to my degree- then realised i could make a very very goodd career out of it.
So i have

Now i get paid to do something i love and would do for a hobby anyway- that to me makes it the best job in the world.

Take some time off and enjoy it- you may find something you can turn into a career or business you would never have thought possible- or you might go follow the path your degree and placements have put you on.
regardless, enjoy the time now- as it does go very fast, and you dont get many chances for a hassle free existence after this.
God i sound old- im only 23!

Old 06 June 2003, 01:25 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

If you can, get a sh1tty temp job and just get a load of overtime in, build up some cash and do some travelling.
Enjoy the time you have whilst you can.....I caught myself up working full time from college, I decided not to go to uni and managed to buy the Impreza as a result. There are pros and cons, I now have vocational qualifications to diploma level and experience, but I would still like to get a degree. For me, I feel I have done things in the right order, looking back, I would probaby not do anything different if I had another chance, althought I would have worked harder at my college exams and got that A instead of B in physics.

I can highly recommend visiting Australia on a 12 month visa....whether you'd want to stay is another things.
I am hoping to tour Europe soon, I want to see the world now I have the travelling bug!!!
Old 06 June 2003, 02:59 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

we're looking for some software developers....but a bit of a way away from Portsmouth.

tis true tho....IT jobs are few and far between. The height of IT is coming to an end

Quick Reply: From Student To Unemployed Bum :D