Supermarkets

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2003, 01:26 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

What is it with people in supermarkets? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So I go over to safeway at lunch for 2 pints of milk & some crisps. What a bloody nightmare! I don't think people seem to get it. They stand in the middle of an aisle with their trolleys reading the back of a cereal box, while theres others bashing their way past with their trolleys and your standing there patiently waiting to get past, and they wander along at 0.000000001mph Then there's the ones who let their children run around while they inspect a loaf of bread.

Then it takes just as long at the checkout, cause the cashier is so sloooooow.

Are these people zombies or something? I just don't get how people are so unaware of a billion trolleys & people around them
Old 05 May 2003, 01:28 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Why should it surprise you? Most of them drive the same way, as if they are the only one on the road.
Old 05 May 2003, 01:32 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Have you also noticed how old biddies alwaaaaaaaaays stand at the end of an aisle talking to each other with their trollies facing inwards causing an aisle block? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 May 2003, 01:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know how you feel crush! I've always maintained that they should have a 'lunch' check out that is for people with goods that are clearly for lunch and less than 5 items. (i.e sanny, can of coke, choccy bar and an issue of EVO). This stops people taking the gish with 15-odd items in the 10 item line [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

They should also have 'fast' lanes in the isles
Old 05 May 2003, 01:41 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

They could call it the Evo lane eh? luckily I usually bring my own lunch in, but I needed a walk today

You should see the post office que there as well! it can take 15 minutes to be served
Old 05 May 2003, 04:55 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Crush - watch rallying for a bit - that gives you some clues to how you should control your trolley. I find the going round the ends of aisles at speed and sideways empties the aisles in front of me!!

However, I am amazed at how people can park their trolley sideways to block most of the aisle, then stand in the remaining free bit
Old 05 May 2003, 04:57 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I work for one as im still a student .

I agree the arrogance of some people is unbelievable. Lucky for me, i measure up to most of them. Quite amusing when they barge passed and bounce off me lol.

Another is people not saying please and thank you, generally get ignored if they arent polite.

Si
Old 05 May 2003, 07:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've developed this theory that when I go into a supermarket or shopping center I become invisible, and anyone who has met will can state, I'm not exactly a fun sized muppet. It really does appear as though people don't see me! they walk right in front of me, push past me, won't move when I ask them "excuse me please". Now I could barge past people, but that's not me. It's very odd indeed!
Old 05 May 2003, 07:18 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sympathies Crush...I know only too well what that Safeway can be like at lunch time - and it was a bank hol today so it was likely even more mobbed than normal (Blue rinse alert!) I even tried to buy road tax at the post office there once - lol never again

Fair points Kenny but what gets my nugget about the checkout queues more than yer basic multi-item problem are those who are buying lunch stuff but have to pay for a 2 quid sandwich by switch or credit card...sheesh what a pain in the a$%!

s

Old 05 May 2003, 09:56 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey S-Man Hows it going dude?

Road tax was the main reason I was there today, then the kid behind the counter was like, Uhhh you need a billion documents to prove you own the car , while I was thinking, I'm being robbed here, and you want proof of who I am before you rob me? of course it's a real fookin car & I'm who I say I am

I have to go back tommorow now

Old 05 May 2003, 11:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Women near the chocky display, like Rabbits in the headlights,
particularly greedy Cocoa addled Rabbits that is !

Why is Sainsburys (or any other chain) always full of pensioners on Saturday, why dont they go through the week when its quiet, is it so they can moan about it being busy ?
Old 06 May 2003, 10:29 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I apply the rally old rally techniques when driving trolleys too, it's sooo easy to get them crossed up before the end of the aisle ready to flick round the end

I share the same problem as Markus, mi bruv does too! As Markus we're both quite big guys yet we can completly disappear in town I've given up to it now, 'ck em all I don't care, why should I, nobody else does! I just walk into folk, barge people out of the way, don't hold doors anymore and certainly don't bother with please or thank you anymore....unless, in an extreme circumstance someome is polite to me....or it's a tasty bint
Old 06 May 2003, 10:45 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've always maintained that the isles should be 1 way. How long can it POSSIBLY take to pick MILK FFS [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and then wander off and look at the yoghurts while leaving your trolley in front of the milk (busiest section?).

However just get things in perspective people.. just 1 trip to IKEA (which I'm sure is Swedish for hell on earth) will show you how good supermarkets are

Old 06 May 2003, 10:55 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

The answer is use your wits and your trolley as a weapon !!.
Very often if you have your driving line correct you can clip most coffin dodgers and ankle biters on the ball of the ankle joint or the Achillies tendon with the edge of your trolley. If you swiftly follow the assualt with a curteous " oh very sorry " and a winning smile you will get away with a serious assualt that will leave them in pain for minutes. Don't forget its not a full on bash, it's a clip with the edge of the trolley. You learn a lot in HM Forces that serves you well in civvie life. Morrisons is the best as they have narrow ailes and maximum congestion, just like being back in close protection training.
Old 06 May 2003, 11:08 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

What I can't stand is the people who suddenly lose the ability to walk upright..........then crawl around slumped over the trolley!!
Old 06 May 2003, 12:13 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

no no no, you have to slump to be fully at one with the trolley....you can't seriously expect to have full control of one in any other position!
Old 06 May 2003, 01:04 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

It's having no brakes on the trolley that can be dodgy

So I find that a little Scandanavian flick gets you round the corner nicely
Old 06 May 2003, 01:10 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

we were shopping and this haughty bitch had a go at me, really up herself she was

dropped some fruit flavour condoms in her trolley for a laff, just imagine her face when she found them?
Old 06 May 2003, 01:19 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Good plan I'm going to remember that

So i went over to pay my road theft (tax). After a long wait in the que, I decided to be as arsey as I could when paying for it I wrote "Eighty Eight Great British Pounds and Zero Pence" on my cheque (cause I knew a cheque would annoy them ) Then they told me the price had changed! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Ninety fookin quid! So I had to scribble out the writing on the cheque & write it in the little spaces left. It was a fookin mess when I handed it over She just looked at it, as if to say "WTF is this?" So I'm even with the post office now

And why aren't all the cahsiers booth's open at the busiest time? It's a bit dumb innit?
Old 06 May 2003, 01:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOB T

I do that as well, have to stop myself doing the full on anti-lag noises !
Old 06 May 2005, 09:54 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Really annoying. Squeeze past them and the trolley corner usually gets you
Old 06 May 2005, 10:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

what about the people who walk through the main entrance doors and then just stop for sum kind of mental rest

i walk pretty quickly anyway
sent a bloke flying the other day, whos fault is that?

only a fool breaks the 2 second rule PMSL
Old 07 May 2005, 12:59 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

You haven't been watching the Morrisons adverts have you? They have a special section just for you.......... dash in grab what you want and dash out again........

As for the aisle blockers, I just coast up, push the offending trolly aside then return to mine and on my way..... nothing to it. BTW another ploy is to say in a very LOUD voice.....EXCUSE ME PLEASE ! It make them leap in the air and shift like that brown stuff off a shovel......
Old 07 May 2005, 01:09 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Personally, I only use supermarkets for washing powder and other similar houshold goods.

Veg from markets is half the price and SO better in terms of quality. I get my meat from a similar source at 25% the price of the supermarkets and it's fresh.

Supermarkets have suceeded in making the public into idiots by making them think they are getting value for money. Idiots: you're buying crap quality goods for more than you can get them for locally.

Just try buying your carrots from a market stall - you'll get 'em cheaper and they taste SO much better!

This applies to any other foodstuff. Supermarkets are the McDonalds of UK shopping.

Rant over.
Old 07 May 2005, 10:28 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with F P there. I have a ready source of farmers markets nearby and was astounded the first time I bought from them. Got 4 times the amount of vegs than I'd get at the SM and as said previously, much better tasting. Another plus, less packaging to dispose of.

The supermarkets as a whole are really taking the michael. They charge through the nose for stuff and dish up god knows what trash in the name of high volume and big profits.
Old 07 May 2005, 11:27 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

FP

Couldnt agree more. Said many times here about quality of produce from supermarkets compared to good quality local shops.

As for them turning there customers into believing they are getting good value service etc I makes me wonder if they are being run by New Labour

Chip