Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Proposals to use Motorway Hard Shoulder as extra lanes !!

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 08:17 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

What a bunch of idiots to even think this ... Where do you stop if you break down , and how do emergency servies get to a major accident if the whole carriageway is blocked !!

Nate.
Old 27 April 2003, 09:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its just an example of "crisis management" and another attempt to convince the Public that they are dealing with the problem. I think they have got to the dangerous stage of believing their own spin!

Old 27 April 2003, 10:51 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Arrow

See also http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=202793

mb
Old 28 April 2003, 07:32 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Using the "Break-Down" lane for travel isn't very intelligent in the US of A either.
As has been mentioned, it only takes one disableed vehicle to close this one.
Old 29 April 2003, 06:56 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

If done properly it's not as daft as you'd think.

The have a couple of areas near to me (Region Utrecht) where thay do this during the rush hour i.e. when traffic is absolutely crawling along. Where the A12 meets the A2 motorway going south you have two lanes of motorway merging into erm, two lanes of motorway. Having a km or so where the hard shoulder acts as as a third lane really does help the traffic to flow rather than snarling up.

What clever clogs!

Suresh
Old 29 April 2003, 08:09 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Using the "Break-Down" lane for travel isn't very intelligent in the US of A either.
As has been mentioned, it only takes one disableed vehicle to close this one.
The do this on I-66 from DC to Fairfax Virginia. At certain hours the breakdown lane is open to traffic.
Old 03 May 2003, 07:32 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sniff Petrol

Chris
Old 03 May 2003, 11:28 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

PML @Sniff Petrol ,

MORE **** SCHEMES SOON
Hot on the heels of a new trial allowing drivers to use the hard shoulder of the M42 during busy periods, the government has announced more completely rubbish schemes aimed at causing chaos and killing people. First up is a new proposal to allow cars to mount the kerb and drive along the pavement. 'This will be a significant aid in keeping traffic moving in urban areas,' honked Department of Transport spokesman Feckless Twaat. 'We see no safety compromises as long as motorists treat this system sensibly. That means only using the system when it's rush hour. Or a bit busy. Or Thursday. And there will obviously be sensible precautions, like not allowing pavement driving near schools. Unless drivers are simply crossing the pavement to get to the school playground, or "High Density Traffic Short Cut Zone" as it will now be called.'
Twaat also revealed that if the hard shoulder scheme is a success it could mean more radical measures for motorways; 'How often are you stuck in traffic on a motorway and you notice that the opposite carriageway has almost no cars on it at all,' he spewed. 'Our analysts have realised that this is a waste, so in future we may allow drivers on, say, the southbound M6 to simply drive up the northbound carriageway instead. As long as motorists are sensible about this I can see no way in which it could lead to an horrific accident.'
Also in the pipeline are proposals to allow gridlocked drivers to plough through shopping precincts, other people's gardens and minor rivers. 'All of these are under-utilised and could be helping to reduce congestion,' woofed Twaat. 'We will begin to allow traffic to use these areas just as soon as we've worked out how to install them with speed cameras.'
Old 04 May 2003, 07:36 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Will that enterfere with the city wide mounted fox hunts?
I believe they should be revived for entertainment.
Like running the Bulls?