Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Also having neighbour problems

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 02:00 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The person who lives opposite our house decides to park his car out side our house. I have asked politely for him to move it out side his own house so my girlfriend can park her car outside our house. He has commented that we don't own the land outside our house and as he pays his council tax, he can park anywhere. Why does he have such little respect for other people's car parking space?
I parked my car outside his house on Sunday as his car was again outside ours, and he came running out as soon as I got out the car, asking me to move it. After a long discussion, we eventually swapped our cars so they are parked out side our own houses. The following day, his car is back outside our house. Is there anything I can do to stop him parking here? My girlfriend doens't like the hassle, and has suggested we move. We only moved in Dec 02, and it is a brand new 4 bed house.
Old 16 April 2003, 02:04 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

Neighbours can be a real pain in the ***.. We live on a narrow lane and hardly anyone has off-street parking.. The number of people who park in 2 or even three spaces is incredible..

The only way to bring it home to the guy is keep parking outside his house.. Maybe the penny will drop.. but don't count on it..
Old 16 April 2003, 02:04 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

when someone does this outside my house(parked between our 2 driveway entrances) i move one car over one driveway, and the other over the other driveway....blocking them in....not doing anything wrong as i am perfectly legally parked over my own driveway entrances....
They soon get the hint when they have to knock and get one of them shifted...
Old 16 April 2003, 02:05 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Just keep parking outside his house. Maybe buy a legal banger and park that there.
Old 16 April 2003, 02:06 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Its not "your parking space" its a public road and it isn't allocated to anyone. Just park wherever you like and stop worrying about it- I mean swapping your cars round what a waste of time. Plus its bad for the car.
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Or leave a can of petrol and a box of matches on his doorstep with a typed note indicating what will happen to his car next time he parks it outside your house..
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bad possition m8. I would try and get friendly over time and then approach it. Meanwhile park as near to your house as poss.Not infront of his.

Have other neighbours had the same problem with him?

In law you are stuffed

Good luck
steve
Old 16 April 2003, 02:14 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ar*eh*les like this really **** me off. I mean 'why' get on to you for doing what he does himself, especially after stating that 'he' can park where ever he likes? It defies belief, it really does.

I would park outside his house once more (as long as he is parked outside yours)and if he comes out ask him nicely what the 'problem' is, tell him you would like to settle this 'problem' right now and ask him his reasons for (a) parking outside your house, and (b) for getting all shirty when you do the same. Then take it from there.

Sounds like he's been getting his own way with the previous owner (Did they have a car?) and reckons its now his 'right' to park there.

If it comes to it buy the scrappiest, ugliest cheap to insure (third party only) banger you can, road tax it for 6 months and then paint it with 'subtle' grpahics and carefully targeted comments.

Spend the next six months laughing every time you move it back and forth to park your own car whenever you need to

p.s. while then parking the old banger in front of his, lol.

[Edited by Jye - 4/16/2003 2:16:21 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 02:19 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

And another thing, to those who say things like 'get over it', 'why bother', 'let it go'. well I say to them, 'you are a bunch of spineless muppets' and this is why scum and arseholes continue to be scum and arseholes, cos you lot 'let it go' all the time.

Just my tuppence worth, grrrrrrrr.
Old 16 April 2003, 02:21 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have a similar problem with the "'kin Nova from hell" . To cut a looooon story short:

Moved in. No prob. There is a nova that never moves but belongs to the old dear several houses away WHO CANT DRIVE !!! It was bough for her by her daughter who said when the old woman gets better she will teach her to drive. FFS this woman is about 85.

Now I dont mind if its parked outside as I drive with lowered curb etc but when it moves, ie council need to do work or whatever it moves over my drive and doesnt move so i have to do a number of 3 point turn like manovers to get in, after 5 days it gets a bit too much.

I asked them to move it so, grudginly they (the daughter) did only to block next doors parking, so they moaned, they moved it again and annoyed yet someone till it turned up outside my house AGAIN.

Im so tempted to get the local yoofs to "borrow it" for a bung. or for it to accidentally catch fire
Old 16 April 2003, 02:21 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Order a skip and have it put in the road outside his house. It'll cost a few quid, but should p155 him off no end!
Old 16 April 2003, 02:33 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

yeah, like the skip idea.

the neighbours actually "make" a house what it is.

my neighbour (opposite) is a plumber and has a van, mercedes etc, and along with my 3 cars, there was not much room in the cul-de-sac for others.
so, he actually got his garden cemented up, so he can park his van and merc, up there out of the way.

most young (hes about my age 35ish) would **** everyone else off and just have no consideration for others.

he has gained great respect from me.

he gave me a playhouse and slide for my little boy, serviced our heating system FOC, to make sure it was safe for my little boy (as he has 2 of the politest kids of his own)

we exchange numerous beers, i fix his pc etc, dug up his garden.

these are things i think i will miss if ever i have to move again.

i like being neighbourly, and cannot live with rude, obnoxious tw@ts, that just wind you up by being there!!!!

go on, hire a mini skip, and put an old mattress in it along with some garden refuse.
i'll even supply a few nappies if ya like!!!

good luck

BB
Old 16 April 2003, 02:58 PM
Mad Matt
Scooby Regular

why do they continue to build 4 bedroom houses without enough parking?? surely it's common sense that people who buy 4 bedroom houses will require about 3 spaces?
Old 16 April 2003, 03:24 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

Got the same problem. Neighbours from across the road junction moved in. They seem to have four cars and have left a rusty old Metro outside my place for five weeks now [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Its not as if theres no where else to park, as across the road from me theres room for at least four cars which won't then be parked outside anyone's house.

I don't mind people parking outside of my house but when its permanent, they're just taking the ****. Unfortunately the metro appears to be taxed, and [maybe] roadworthy so not a lot of options available short of having a quiet word.
Old 16 April 2003, 03:34 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The public road is just that public. You have no right to tell anyone where to park on a public road. Its a free for all. Just park wherever you like and get on with your life. Alternatively earn enough money to buy yourself a house with parking or rent parking.
People who come out with this "don't park outside my house" crap p1ss me off. Whenever I go back up north and visit old friends I note the "No Parking Car Owner" signs and ignore them if there is nowhere else convenient to park. If they want to make a problem out of it they can come and talk to me.
Old 16 April 2003, 03:43 PM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

i live in the corner on a culdesac and both mine and my wife's car park on the drive...when we first moved in, son of woman who owned house used to park at end of her drive giving me very little room to reverse off...got pissed off with this because her drive could put at least 4 vehicles on, she was just lazy!!! blocked quarter blocked her drive off one night leaving just enough room for her to get out...she couldn't...and then she came banging on my door...told her that if she / her son were so ignorant as to park as they did then i'd park where i wanted...big 18 year old son came round and after brief discussion he left and i never had a problem again...they moved to a council estate soon after cos her husband left for another woman and she couldn't afford her house...shame but she ended up where she belonged!!!
back to the original point..why don't you just go round to the other bloke's house, ask him if he fancies a pint and try to come to an amicable agreement...failing that...double park him so he can't get out.
Old 16 April 2003, 03:45 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol @ banal load... scoobynet's latest wind up troll
...great quote from Unclebuck in another thread. Sums this geezer up nicely .
Old 16 April 2003, 03:48 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Anal_Lube
Quote from muppets where he is equally as welcome.

Old 16 April 2003, 03:50 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Smile

keep going guys you'll get this thread locked. Nothing I've said here is against T&C or S/N policy. Its just the truth.
Old 16 April 2003, 03:50 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just park outside his house, and if he complains, ask what the big deal is. And then clearly point at his car outside yours.
Old 16 April 2003, 04:10 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

If i look out of my front window i dont really want to see someones ****ty white van or old banger- plus most people cant park very well and end up overhanging or closely parked on the CORNER of the driveway making it awkward to get in and out.

Thats why i personally dont like it. Not as if there arent other places to park in the street.

I DO go ape**** when people park over my driveways tho. thats just overstepping the line.

[Edited by Freak - 4/16/2003 4:11:11 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 04:12 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Freak....If you have to edit to highlight the corner in the posting then it doesn't count.

Muppet Rule #527355328/A

Old 16 April 2003, 04:13 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Parking over the driveway is something to get annoyed about, but the street, I'm afraid not you just have to put up with the eyesore.
Old 16 April 2003, 04:15 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

bugger- thought if u edited within a few seconds (like some other bbs do) it didnt give the edited tag... doh..
Old 16 April 2003, 04:19 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Truth is as previously stated above, nobody has any right to park on the highway or claim rights to parking, there is nothing anyone can do about neighbours parking outside your house.

Have a look at your property deeds - I will pay you £1.72 if your property outline goes all the way to the road... LOL
Old 16 April 2003, 04:24 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Very annoying - but as you know they're right.

I'd just say one thing though, I wouldn't follow the comment earlier re: parking over "your own" dropped kerb to block the bloke in - he then has a right to call the police as you're illegally parked, blocking any dropped kerb is an offence and you could potentially get into trouble for it i.e. it's not yours, it's owned by the Council also for peds/cyclists/wheelchair users etc.

Good luck sorting it out - neighbourhood feuds are a nighmare
Old 16 April 2003, 04:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What They Said.

If it's a normal council road, no-one has parking rights in front of any houses. That applies equally to You and Him.

If he parks in front of your house and you complain, he is within his rights to tell you to stuff it. And if he complains to you, you can tell him to stuff it.

If it's a private road, or he's blocking access somehow, it's a different matter.

I would suggest you tell him, either you behave like adults and each park in front of their own house, or next time you park in front of his and he complains, tell him to get a lawyer. It will cost him a fortune in legal fees and get him nowhere. When you come to sell the house you can then truthfully list, under neighbourly disputes, "some loony opposite tried to sue me as I parked in front of his drive, but got nowhere".

I can't see the bigger picture but it all sounds rather petty.
Old 16 April 2003, 04:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Constructive suggestion:

Assuming there is no other dispute between you and him (ie the parking isn't a continuation of something else), invite him round for a beer, bring the subject up, and explain that either you can come to a friendly arrangement only to use the space outside your own houses, or matters will get worse coz you will park in front of his place every time you see him parking in front of yours. You have also been advised to keep a diary of the occasions. Ask him why he thinks it's OK to park in front of your house but not for you to park in front of his. Explain to him that he is damaging his own house resale value as he has to admit if there are any neighbourly disputes. Provided he sees the light, then shake little fingers, kiss and make up.

If he doesn't, then buy a cat and train it to sleep on his car bonnet. Winds this lot up a treat

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 4/16/2003 4:59:16 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 08:59 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
As it prob been suggestedits not worth having a slanging match over this, its the silly sort of thing that could easily blow up into something very very serious, why cant g/f simply park where he would have outside his house?

Failing that u could as has been suggested, buy a £50 banger and abandon it outside his house. But then youre g/f would have no space at all then lol
Old 16 April 2003, 11:23 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Chill!

It ain't worth the hazzle.

Bloke across road was parking outside my next door neighbour (whom we share a drive way). Really made it difficult to get into my driveway. I knocked on door and politely explained the problem. He hasn't parked there since.

Shared driveway is a nightmare. We have 1 car, park towards the house. Neighbour has two, parked across. If friend visits and parks in the shared bit they go mental and get us to shift it even if they ain't going anywhere (they're retired and obviously have nothing better to do). Low and behold their friends can park in the shared bit.....

I can't be ar$ed so say nothing but when parking in my driveway park as far over on my drive as possible making it difficult for them to get out there second car.

Revenge will come in years to come when my three kids get cars of there own. The first one to get a car will be instructed to park it outside there house. The second one outside our house making it extremely difficult to reverse into the driveway.... (funnyily enough neighbour always reverses in). Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Quick Reply: Also having neighbour problems