Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Britain one of the most beautiful islands on earth.

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2003, 12:20 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guide finds Britain one of the most beautiful islands on earth
Britain has been described as "quite simply one of the most beautiful islands on earth" according to the Lonely Planet guide.

The latest edition rounds on predictable targets such as the weather, drinking culture and cuisine but finds much to admire in many UK cities.

Although "jaw-droppingly expensive" London is "one of the truly great capitals", while Cardiff is now "very trendy" and Edinburgh "extraordinary".

Brighton has "virtually everything for the visitor", while Bristol and Bath have "haughty grandeur".

The bounce has been put back in Birmingham, Nottingham has "some of the liveliest clubs in the country", Sheffield and Leeds have great clubs too, and York is magnificent.

The guide reckons Manchester is "interesting and vibrant", Newcastle is a "great city with a fierce sense of pride", Liverpool is "well on the way to revitalising itself" and Aberdeen is "pulsating".

However there is less enthusiasm for several of the UK's most famous tourist attractions.

The guide suggests that some visitors will find Buckingham Palace, criticised in previous Lonely Planet guides, "over-priced and distinctly underwhelming".

John o'Groats has "a ramshackle car park and tacky craft and souvenir shops", while Land's End has been "blighted" by a theme park development.

The guide also warns visitors to keep a low profile at pub closing time, speaking of the "splattered evidence" of beer and takeaway excess that decorates the pavements of British cities every Sunday morning".
Old 26 March 2003, 12:30 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid that 90% of Britain is a sh1thole populated by thugs, robbers and worse.
There are a few nice places which are invariably ruined by the arrival of all the toerags from elsewhere. To much "Harvester" culture for my liking- inverted snobs who think because they have nice cars and mock tudor mansions it somehow stops them from being low lifes- their lack of civility follows them everywhere and pollutes wherever they go- look at the colonised areas of Spain for example. Along with all the robbing underclass and appaling weather it is all in all a squallid little island.

A real shame.
Old 26 March 2003, 12:31 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A postive view of Great Britain,nearlyand about time to.
Old 26 March 2003, 12:34 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Fluffer, would you say Buckinghamshire falls into that category?
Old 26 March 2003, 12:39 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fluffer ive got some oneway plane tickets if you fancy them,i have been told Iraqi is a nice place this time of year.
Old 26 March 2003, 12:43 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

typical response- you all whinge about how crap the place is, rampant crime etc then as soon as someone speaks the truth ie 90% of Britain is populated by low life scum and reeks of poverty you come out with the "one way ticket" bull.

Face facts most of you live in awful places....for the record I'd say 75% of Bucks is a sh1thole so if you live in the nice quarter-lucky you!
The best single way of improving Britain would be to drown most of the inhabitants.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:01 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

>>The best single way of improving Britain would be to drown most of the inhabitants.

I hope that if this does come into play, you take you rightfull place in the front of the queue
Old 26 March 2003, 01:04 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
interesting point Fluffer - would you stand by your comments without an anonymous profile signed up to annoy people?
Old 26 March 2003, 01:11 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

My name is as revealing as scoob_babe which means precisely nothing to me and yes I stand up for what I said. This isn't said to annoy people its my honest opinion and if you examine your heart of hearts you probably concur with it. This board is full of comments bemoaning the terrible way of life in the UK and how bad things are. This tends to support my assertion.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:14 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

i can truly say york is fantastic
Old 26 March 2003, 01:14 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Which country would you personally prefer to live in then Fluffer??
Old 26 March 2003, 01:19 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

Why do people always try to deflect criticism with a counter arguement? Like "go to Iraq" or "where would you rather live" . I mean what has that go to do with me bemoaning the fact that most of Britain is as crap as Slough and Langley (worst places I could think of at short notice)

anyway

a hard question- I suppose Australia is quite appealing but they have bad social problems too.Nowhere is perfect but many places have got to be better than Britain these days.

[Edited by Fluffer - 3/26/2003 1:20:09 PM]
Old 26 March 2003, 01:22 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

But you're proud to call yourself "British" i assume...??
Old 26 March 2003, 01:22 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fluffer, you may not know scoob_babe, but a large number of the members of ScoobyNet do; me included. Whereas you have created a new name to hide behind whilst you post what is mainly objectionable tripe, Scoob_babe has not. She makes no attempt to hide who she is, and if she has something to say, she says it. I have a lot more respect for her than for the likes of you, and I expect a fair proportion of the board would agree.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:23 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

I'm with you on this one Fluffer. Britain might have many beautiful landscapes etc but the fact remains we are overcrowded and growing into a gang-like culture. Our cities are turning rotten. Our police force manages to 'contain' the problem JUST.

I'd love to emigrate but not Iraq or any other third world dump. LOL

Old 26 March 2003, 01:29 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fluffer isn't to wide of the mark.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:32 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

sorry Turbo- I don't know why you've taken an objection to me- I'm just saying it the way I see it. No offence intended to you at all.

I've never heard of scoob-babe and I'm sure others have- I just meant the whole BBS thing is by its very nature pretty faceless.

edited to add Hotmail didnt lunch the password- I never changed it from the default and the accoutn expired. I though it best to start a new name not that it matters!

[Edited by Fluffer - 3/26/2003 1:35:44 PM]
Old 26 March 2003, 01:34 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

what has that got to do with anything Image Doctor?
Old 26 March 2003, 01:34 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Edited because it doesn't make sense following post pruning.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 3/26/2003 3:09:29 PM]
Old 26 March 2003, 01:35 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

fluffer is bang on..and speaking the truth doesnt make you unpatriotic
Old 26 March 2003, 01:36 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

"Nowhere is perfect but many places have got to be better than Britain these days". True to some extent Fluffer. However, I know Slough and Langley pretty well. If they are your examples of the worst of Britain then we should all be grateful. Try visiting Lima, Bogota, Sao Paolo, Seoul, Taipei, to name just a few.
I'm not being intentionally antagonistic - I am proud to be half British (and even prouder to be half-kiwi) and whilst this country is by no means perfect, it is better than most and we enjoy a higher standard of living than many other places.

Steve
Old 26 March 2003, 01:38 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

very lame Image Doctor -very very lame is that all you've got? - grow up and post a real response telling us all why the place is so great.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:50 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Well OK, go live somewhere else then, if the grass is so much greener.

I happen to like living here, but then I can afford to live away from the **** pit area's, pherhaps you can't.

I must admit I don't get to see the parts of England you are describing very often.

Whatever, you have come on here purely to get a reaction, you have got one, very good, go do some more fluffing.

Old 26 March 2003, 01:52 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

I'm glad that your financial position allows you to live somewhere nice- you are one of the lucky ones. As for the pathetic level of abuse you continue to use- it reflects on your state of mind not mine.
Old 26 March 2003, 01:56 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Yep, I like ****, and your name amused me.

Now if you want to live in a nice house and a nice area like me, you just have to get a good job and work at it.

You sound very negative, and I guess there is a reason for that.
Old 26 March 2003, 02:00 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

a good area- wheres that then?

I'd be interested to know your idea of a good home too! I hope it isn't one of those sad little estate houses built on brown field land with the ceiling about an inch from your head.

As for myself I'm very happy with my personal situation- it's just when I get into the city and see all the dross around me that I start to feel miserable.

edited to add : Slough and Langley are truly awful believe me there are better places in Britain

[Edited by Fluffer - 3/26/2003 2:02:38 PM]
Old 26 March 2003, 02:02 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Wherever I say I am sure you will say it is a sh!tehole, so I'll save you the reply.

If you hate "the" city so much don't go there, easy.
Old 26 March 2003, 02:03 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

I have to go to the city as I work there-

and no I wouldnt just say a place was awful just to slag you of ID- don't judge others by your own standards.

So where is it then?

Just to let you know I live in Sussex.
Old 26 March 2003, 02:21 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

>>and no I wouldnt just say a place was awful just to slag you

well, how frightfully *rude* of you.

Is your name Jonathan?

I bet you went to a nice `public` school, and enjoyed a good `fagging` now and again.

I would presume it's frighfully brave of you to comment on a public forum with absoultely no chance of anyone knowing what or who you are.
Old 26 March 2003, 02:26 PM
Fluffer
Scooby Regular

what is the problem here? I'm not slagging anyone off at all- I'm just saying that our society is plagued by elements who bring it down thats all.
That the tide of human filth living in our country ruins it just as much as a turd in a swimming pool!

edited to add: thats funny I went to a bad secondary school and am about as working class as you can get! I have a feeling that those who live in the poky little shoebox estate houses with narrow drives and tiny garages are gonna be the ones bitching!

[Edited by Fluffer - 3/26/2003 2:27:27 PM]

[Edited by Fluffer - 3/26/2003 2:29:02 PM]

Quick Reply: Britain one of the most beautiful islands on earth.