Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Possible speed camera query

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 09:34 PM
bashful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twice recently I've seen an anonymous piece of kit by the side of the 30mph residential road I live on.

It's a dark-painted box about a foot cubed, on a two-foot tripod. It seems to have a window pointed horizontally across the road. There's a small lamp unit on the ground next to it, smaller than an average headlight, also pointing across the road. There aren't any associated rubber strips or other kit.

It's been unmanned both times, and has appeared sometime late afternoon and gone the next morning. It's within a mile of a highly-visible fixed GATSO.

Any ideas what it is? A speed cam or an elaborate traffic-flow meter?
Old 20 February 2003, 09:45 PM
MONTANA
Scooby Regular

hmmn,go and have a closer look next time you see it and let us know what you find,could be a camera,you never know with the establishment,i heard tha they put em in dustbins by the side of the road on the continent,sneaky or what!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 February 2003, 10:06 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

This sounds exactly like a mobile speed camera. There is normally an unmarked van nearby. Dorset Police have several and use them extensively.

I used to work for Siemens Traffic Controls and they had several of these laying around. It took all my self control not to sabotage the piggin things.
Old 21 February 2003, 10:52 AM
bashful
Scooby Regular

Jerome,

Funnily enough, it was within 100m of the Hampshire/Dorset border. How does it capture you? Does it have a camera facing along the road, which I may have missed?
Old 21 February 2003, 01:51 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Basically it has all the equipment that a speed camera has in a box that mounts on a tripod. It takes a picture in the normal way IIRC. As they are hidden or difficult to spot - and the film is easy to replace - they normally get far more people than a static camera.

Dorset must be one of the richest counties in the country. 8 years ago they were getting 500 people a week (with all cameras). They were kind enough to gloat this fact on signs everywhere. How anyone in Dorset still has a licence I don't know. I even had a speeding ticket accepted as ID in a bank once. To say I was glad to get out of Dorset would be a huge understatement.

[Edited by Jerome - 2/21/2003 1:53:13 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 06:38 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

It sounds like it might well fit in a Scooby boot

Obviously assuming that it doesn't have a Tracker installed

mb