Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Xtreme Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2001, 06:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i recently posted a question about paragliding and am now starting lessons. the thing that started my interest was needing an exciting hobby that a) mrs tiggs could do and b) that didnt cost to much (spent £10k pa on bike track days in 98,99 and 2000 :eek

i had already considered and given up on jetskis, seems the right choice reading the recent post on it.

anyway, in case the paragliding doesnt work out has anyone got any cool hobbies that might fit the bill?

what about those land yacht things etc?

Tiggs
Old 30 July 2001, 09:16 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

I've always had a bit of a facination in weather (hence the job) so I've always flown kites.

OK, when I was a kid it was box kites and single line jobbies.

As I got older, stunt kites were my thing and I would spend many hours (and pounds) on stunt kites and even entered kite fighting competitions.

As I got older still, needed exercise and disposable income increased a bit (but never enough ) I moved to power kites. You can either just get a big single or several smaller ones and stack them.

At first, I would use them mainly for exercise but then there are a few other more Xtreme things you can do with them:

<B>Kite buggy</B> Get a little buggy with wheels that you get pulled along with at a great rate of knots. Huge fun, better than land yachts anyday (and often quicker). Really good fun and definately something you can do with the missus, either on shared buggy or race each other. Brings a whole new meaning to power slides.

<B>Kite surfing</B> Strap a small surfboard to your feet and get pulled around the water by your kites. Great fun especially in surf as you can pull off some huge stunts and mix it with wind surfers. I'm crap at this, but still have great fun when I get the chance (not very often )

<B>Kite Snowboarding/Skiing</B> Same idea as above but means you can use flat areas of snow, which generally means you are not in anybodies way as snowboarders, skiers etc. need hills Never done this myself.

<B>Kite Jumping</B> Only for complete nutters. This generally involves getting a big stack of kites way, way bigger than you can possibly hold yourself. You then dig a launch pit (like a small trench) to brace yourself against. You get in the pit, brace your legs against the wall and steer the kite stack into the maximum lift area. The lines load up and you basically jump out of the hole at the same time as the kites are about to rip your arms off. You then sail up into the air and as far downwind as the kites will carry you. Who ever gets the biggest height/furthest distance wins. There again your legs might be all broken

Some links:
Old 30 July 2001, 09:50 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cool

how about extreme kayaking?? - I used to have a fantastic time throwing myself over waterfalls in my 'ickle rotobat - started this after downhill mountainbiking lost its thrill - that and the fact that I snapped a 3 grand works cannondale frame in half and couldnt afford a new one

Old 31 July 2001, 12:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

downhill mountain biking - both of you under way for under a grand and the only additional cost is sick time of work recovering from breaks etc. (Allow about three days a week.) Don't go for a lightweight bike. Get something made from girders or railway steel. It will last longer
Old 31 July 2001, 09:43 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

you ever tried dighny sailing ? something "simple" like a laser 1, or even stuff like the 4000.

Not an "extreme sport", but its very fast, fun, technical, etc, etc and the great thing is you dont end up in hospital when you go in too hot... Equally open to Mrs Tiggs, and you can potter around, go racing, whatever. You'll find dinghy's all over the world too.

If you like motorbikes, then this is the one...

Old 31 July 2001, 09:45 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Having tried skiing (black runs, off piste), freefall parachuting, abseiling (including out of helicopters), rockclimbing and mountain biking, I would still say the biggest thrill (read what scared me the most) was extreme kayaking.

There are places that teach you how to eskimo roll kayaks in the safety of a swimming pool. Once you've mastered that, you're a long way to being able to paddle down extreme rivers. Sea kayaking is pretty enjoyable as well. It helps if you are a strong swimmer.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 31 July 2001, 10:05 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don`t know whether this counts or not!

But I`m a member of The Aero Engined Car Club.
To be a member (invitation only) you have to have owned or built a car which is powered by an aircraft engine.
The type of engine doesn`t matter, piston,jet, whatever.
Richard Noble (Thrust) is member No.11, I am No9.
Some years ago I built a car powered by a Salmson Aero engine, I have also built Rocket powered models, capable of around 200mph but zero stability, great fun. I was the winner of The Rocket Powered Car race at R.A.F. Colerne about 10years ago.
Have also travelled in a couple of cars powered by a 27 litre V12 Rolls Royce Merlins

Cheers
SCOOP

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2001, 10:37 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Scoop - that is the most barking thing i have ever heard.

Are you mad ????

howabout of one of these massive passenger jet rolls royces in a scoob next ?
Old 31 July 2001, 10:38 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

double post, duh

[This message has been edited by jon hill (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 01 August 2001, 06:30 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Hi Tiggs

I enjoy Swingball. Yeah you know that tennis ball strapped to post and two people smash the hell out of it with plastic bats. Its mad I tell you adrenalin rush or what!!! Make sure you get the right insurance as some people have known to of died while practicing on their own. You see if you get caught by the ball and the string wraps round you, you could be tied to the post for days. You have been warned !!!! Once you have forked out for the set up and insurance all you need is a few plasters for the blisters.

In between swingball I find Paintballing a bit of a laugh. Gets the old heart pounding. Give it a go. Cost about £50 a day.

Hows the paragliding going ?

Cheers

Neal

Old 01 August 2001, 10:31 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

neal,

1st lesson is tommorow (weather permititng)- swingball? bit to xtreme fo me

The kite stuff sounds fun, might give that a go, done kayaking for years when i was ickle- wouldnt go back to it (been there...)

mountain biking.. hmmmm, not sure, havent had a bike since school!

dingys- again, sounds good might be worth a look.

i'll report back tommorow on my paragliding experience- if i dont post something has gone pete tong

tiggs
tiggs
Old 02 August 2001, 06:32 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Good luck Tiggs!!!

Neal
Old 02 August 2001, 08:39 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Best sport i've found so far is Snowboarding... Can only do it in winter, need snow and is costly to get some decent kit at first but well worth it. so much fun when you get good and able to do jumps etc.

My other is bungee jumping, although not many places in the uk to do it. I've only been off cranes so far but i do get a real rush from it.

Next on the agenda for me is Free fall sky diving and get my lisence. looks soo much fun.