Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LOTR box set

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2003, 01:16 AM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Does anyone know when the full box set with all three films is coming out? Also, what box sets are there available and whether I should collect the individual film box sets or wait for the BIG one?

TIA.

Michelle.
Old 16 February 2003, 04:42 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If I were you I would buy the box set rather than the individuals, simply for the novelty value. The box set may also have some extra features to entice you to buy aswell, not to mention the probably lower price..

TheScooby
Old 16 February 2003, 06:56 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I thought you hated the films chelle?

2 disc TTT out May 03
4 disc TTT box set , is out Nov 03
2 disc ROT is out May 04
4 Disk ROT box set will be out Nov 04
Mega boxset with all films plus all the extras from the 2 and 4 disk set out around the same time
Old 16 February 2003, 07:38 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

I do hate the films, but I just have to have them as a LOTR fan. LOL

It is just nice to see Middle Earth brought to life so to speak even if IMHO they are wildly inaccurate.

Cool, I will wait for the full set.
Old 16 February 2003, 09:24 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

LMW - noted your comments over the past 14 months or so - on Peter Jackson's interpretation of LOTR.

I think you've got to be here in NZ to share the vision.

I read the book in the sixties - once only - but, almost thirty years later in the mid-nineties, sitting at my desk in a high rise in Wellington in the early a.m., watching the sun rise across the far side of the harbour and beyond the mountains that stretch way back - I just got the feeling that this is the sort of view that the Hobbits had before they set out on their quest.

And 10 years later Peter Jackson has the same vision and used it to bring LOTR to life.

So, LMW, forgive the plot discrepancies - be like us in NZ, enjoy the scenery

.... and back on the subject, my understanding is that the final DVD set will be a 12 hour compilation.
Old 16 February 2003, 09:42 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

@Little Miss WRX

even if IMHO they are wildly inaccurate
While not in keeping with some of the storyline in the book i.e Fog on the Barrowdowns and In the house of Tom Bombadil i feel that some directorial license has been used. if jackson was to include every storyline then each movie would be much longer that the 3.30 min for the extended version.

having read and owning most of what tolkien actually wrote including the History of Middle Earth by his son i would say IMHO that jackson has done pretty well. for me i was a case of just taking in the sheer magnitude of it all and marvalling at the S FX used e.g Moria scenes and battle scenes at Helms Deep. my wife had more fun watching my face in the cinema that she did watching the actual movies.

you may have noticed that i am a fan. yes i dont have a life between being stuck on here and watching and reading tolkien.

cheers

big sinky
Old 16 February 2003, 09:45 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

LOL, I do understand the reasoning behind the ommissions and "mistakes", but it still doesn't make them forgiveable.

I am afraid that I am an anorak Tolkien fan.

Phil, the actual layout (scenery ) of Middle Earth was AWESOME!!!! It was fantastic to see that what I had imagined Middle Earth to be like was exactly that in the film!!!!

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 2/16/2003 9:46:20 AM]
Old 16 February 2003, 09:53 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Big sinky.....

Have you got the full set of Middle Earth books by his son? I took my time reading them as there is so much in them to read!!! I found them very interesting....I know there was some accusation of him trying to profit from his father's death.....
Old 16 February 2003, 09:53 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

It was fantastic to see that what I had imagined Middle Earth to be like was exactly that in the film!!!!
- I don't think it's just me who's inspired by the local scenery; driving back in the dusk from seeing the Two Towers at the cinema, my wife pointed out the mountains in the distant gloom and remarked how it looked like she imagined LOTR country.

- you'll have to visit NZ sometime.

[Edited by philc - 2/16/2003 9:55:19 AM]
Old 16 February 2003, 01:58 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

As having never read the books and would like too, in what order do you suggest reading them ? any ideas appreciated from you Tolkien fans.

edited to say, sorry if i have hijacked this thread

[Edited by lpski1 - 2/16/2003 1:59:29 PM]
Old 17 February 2003, 04:00 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I read 'The Hobbbit', followed by the 3 standard books (FOTR, TTT, ROTK). I got all 4 in a nice presentation boxset
I must say Jackson did do very well transfering from the books to the film, if you watch the numerous making-of documenterys on the extended edition DVD set he mentions about what he couldn't put in the film and what extra he put in that wasn't in the books.
Remeber, the script spent nearly 4 years being rewritten and rewritten, and even then rewritten during filming.
Old 17 February 2003, 04:59 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

The Hobbit is a much smaller scale story and introduces you nicely to Middle Earth and Tolkiens writing style.

I was not unhappy that Tom Bombadil in the films but would have liked to have seen his better half
Old 18 February 2003, 07:48 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

@ little miss wrx

yep i have them all in paperpack with about 8 or nine of them in hardback as well. got the HB in a secondhand bookshop and the guy mustn't have know the real value of them got them for a song. I have to say that if you have ever read the "letters of JRR tolkien" by humphrey carpenter you will see that from a very early age both his sons hilary and christopher were steeped in the fantasy that was "middle earth". Even when christopher was sent to war his father continued to post him extracts of varius writings. for ppls to say that he did the HoME for profit, beggars belief, as if they had read the actual books they would realise that his son was really only the one that understood his father to any great degree, and that the painstaking detail that he goes into within the books no sane author would even attempt. christopher is a great academic in his own right and i feel that even publishing the HoME he is just scratching the surface. you have to realise that JRRT was a prolific writer. you should try to read some of his other stuff Sir Gawain, pearl, sir orefeo leaf by niggle and i would recommend you try to read some back ground stuff by the likes of tom shippey. i find more and more i am reading stuff about JRRT rather than actually reading what he wrote himself.

anyway little miss wrx glad i am not the only anorak on here with regards to tolkien.

Remember, the script spent nearly 4 years being rewritten and rewritten, and even then rewritten during filming.
i think phillpa boyens did a fantasitc job on the screen play

I was not unhappy that Tom Bombadil in the films but would have liked to have seen his better half
yep would have like to have seen goldberry to. if any of you get a chance do a search on "who is tom bombadil". there are some really interesting ideas, not the least of which he is classified as one of the Maiar in the form of a nature spirit.

Cheers

Big Sinky (who BTW hasnt got a life atm)

[Edited by bigsinky - 2/18/2003 7:51:25 PM]
Old 18 February 2003, 08:13 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

kazaa has never let me down yet.

Come on ROTK
Old 18 February 2003, 08:22 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

@super_si

what was the quality like? on a scale of 1 -10 say.

cheers

big sinky
Old 18 February 2003, 08:38 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Still downloading now Not looking great 120mb files.

Probs a total unrelated films

Got two tower 2*699MB files Spot on

Got a list others aswell just email

Si
Old 18 February 2003, 09:14 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

If it's the version I have caught a glimpse of, DVD Rip.
Old 18 February 2003, 09:23 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

nar read to many 0's.

12mb preview.
Bit crap aswell.

Si
Old 18 February 2003, 10:09 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

super si

email me off line and we can have a chat about certain things!!

cheers

big sinky
Old 19 February 2003, 12:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have had my copy of the TT on DVD for the last month or so, the quality is just spot on, will get the box set when it comes out.
Old 19 February 2003, 02:50 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was very impressed with the FOTR 4 dvd set over the 2 dvd set, the entended version seemed much better. There's nothing like watching it in the space of your bedroom on a widescreen telly in DTS sound

I hope they continue the treatment with TTT, makes you wonder what bits they edited out.

Only 9/10 months and counting till ROTK