Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My mobile was stolen from work

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2001, 02:00 PM
beatle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And i reported it the next morning to BT and police , got a crime refernce number from the police and a free upgrade from B.T... 3 days ago my phone rang and a woman asked me for my postcode , when i asked who was she and why she wanted my postcode, she said she was from a billing service that operated a chat line and my phone had run a £60 pound bill (obviously whilst stolen) .... i told i had reported it stolen and as such was not liable , she got shirty after i told her that as she didnt know who i was and where i lived she was f****d with regards to sending her bill out. Anyway i called the company back and explained in a civil manner the situation and they said send in the crime reference and they will cancel the bill ....but they have been ringing me 3 times a day asking for the money altho they said they would put a note on file saying the refernce was being sent in, short of barring their number does anyone know where i stand on the legalities of this issue??
Old 19 July 2001, 08:12 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

This shounds a bit like a Scam?

Surley the ONLY people who you can owe money to from a phone number is the provider of ther service i.e BT in this case.

Surely any other service would be via a credit card?. Any permium services would just show as a large charge on the main BT Bill. If BT sent a bill with a load of extras then you would expect it, but not a third party.

Does this make sense or am I just too innocent?
Old 19 July 2001, 08:14 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Also check that the number you are phoning them on to resolve the issue is not a premium rate number!!!!
Old 20 July 2001, 01:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ring your service provider and tell them to lock your sim card, did that to mine when i lost it, ok they can get your handset but nothing else is available to them which is what you want, numbers included

Tony
(telecomms engineer )
Old 20 July 2001, 12:44 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Does sound a little dodgy IMO.

Did you have insurance?? If so then this may cover you for unauthorised calls after your phone has been stolen.

I'd contact BT and ask them whether it is possible for them to do some sort of check, to see if these people are genuine.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 20 July 2001, 06:18 PM
beatle
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice , i did get BT to block the SIM card . I must admit i thought it was a scam , how would a chat line allow someone to run up a bill without first having an account with them or giving credit card details up front