Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Used car woes, advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2001, 12:52 AM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Bought a second car for my wife. She didn't like the newer version so settled on a 98S reg at a main dealer. (Not a scoob btw - can't afford two of them!!)
The car was a reasonable mileage example with
one or two bits & pieces that needed doing, which, as we were paying top dollar for a dealer car I insisted they sorted.
3 days after delivery we discovered that the windscreen washers didn't work, so assuming that the bottle was empty I filled it. What I poured in came back out all over the floor!!. It went back to the garage who diagnosed a hole in the bottle which they replaced. (As the car had been "Serviced prior to collection how did they not notice a pool of screenwash all over the workshop floor?)
Next day on the motorway, still no wash wipes. It turned out that they had trapped the pipes in the bonnet!! I sorted that myself.
All the above is background preamble to the latest problem.
Last week it rained. The boot is a fishpond.
The sunroof interior cover is soaking and leaking into the passenger area.
The dealer says "Don't think that will be covered by warranty"
I say "It is unacceptable that a car we have had one month is experiencing this sort of problem. I want it fixed FOC"
In this situation who has the upper hand?
Having got rid of a leaky old boat the last thing we wanted was more of the same hence going to a proper dealer and paying for the privelige.
As my good lady is close to tears and is seriously considering giving the thing back
has anyone got any advice?
Cheers
SteveC
Old 18 June 2001, 02:18 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm no expert, but would this not fall under the "goods unfit for the purpose to which they were sold" section of the Trades Description Act?
Old 18 June 2001, 05:45 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hmmm leaky car, hole in washer bottle, on 2-3 year old car? You did check it with HPi didn't you?

Didn't happen to be a red Rover 600 series? bought from around Milton keynes did it?
Old 19 June 2001, 10:36 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I would certainly talk to local trading standards office and ask their opinion on this. Plus get yourself infront of the dealers manager and explain the problems you are having and ask for contact details of dealer's head office, then contact them adn explain things.
Old 19 June 2001, 11:07 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

No even Steve's not that stupid!

There is certainly an issue over merchantable quality here. If it's a third party warranty they will probably try to wriggle out using a wear n tear clause, but I believe it's down to the dealers.

They have a responsibility to ensure the vehicle is in good order, and unless you wanted a mobile shower, it ain't. Who has been your point of contact, sales team, service manager and how bad is the leak.

It's time to take it to the top. Go over the car with a fine tooth comb and pick out any faults that should have been identified in the PDI. Presumably they washed the car before you bought it so should have identified your leaking sunroof . Speak to the Dealer Principal, outline the facts and make it clear you will not be fobbed off. Then, unless they agree to rectify it immediately send a letter to the Managing Director outlining the faults, your dissatisfaction with the response and referring to the appropriate legislation c.c. to Trading Standards and the manufactures MD.

Key factor is how bad is this leak. If it's simply a dribble resulting from 3 yrs use replacing a seal will not impact on their margin and they shouldn't quibble. If it imitates a local sewer and is a build/quality issue I'd try to cut a deal on an alternative motor.

PS Take it to another dealer and get price for the work to support your case.

Just my opinion/approach

B

[This message has been edited by banshi (edited 19 June 2001).]